Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKY Past Players.

Featured Replies

Lets get some talk going about past players from any NKY teams. Can be more than one player from the same teams. There is plenty of them out there maybe they didn't play college ball but they were still good high school players.

  • Replies 114
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Bellevue,Kiefer,Hall,Hissong,Berkleys,Sutkamps.

Dayton,Kleete.

I am missing plenty alot of schools alot of players. I will fill in as i can.Help me out here.

Lets get some talk going about past players from any NKY teams. Can be more than one player from the same teams. There is plenty of them out there maybe they didn't play college ball but they were still good high school players.
Why?

There are several players with me coming to mind. By the way, that team back from early 90s with Bellevue had all kinds of talent. If I remember right, they made the state title losing to Russellville. On into the 90s, Bellevue had Karcher, the Swopes, Roa, Fausz, the Wilsons, Cayze, and others.

 

As far as other players, the teams at Dayton from '95--97 had a lot of talent; Jason Skirvin, Mike Walls, Jerry Cline, Neil Richardson, Jason Leger, Matt Hundemer, and more. Obviously Beechwood had a lot of talent between the Wulfecks, Berger, Brockhoft, the Bishops, Lubrecht, Hergott, Zahler, Jones, Zeller, Huth, and more. There may be some forgotten talents at Lloyd; particularly Holmes, Lloyd, and Lee. If I remember right, Lee had some of the most impressive passing statistics of NKY quarterbacks during that time.

 

Many speak of some of the best teams of Highlands being over the more recent few years, however, I don't know how the team with the class of '93 can be forgotten. That was a loaded team with Scarlato at RB, Crawford at QB, and the lines on this team had Schlarman and Reynolds. I believe this was a very good team and I believe that Adam McCormick was QB for Cov Cath at that time, which was a big upset when Highlands beat them and advanced to win state that year.

 

Two good players come to mind for me from Campbell County during early/mid 90s; Doug Turner and Greg Menetry. From Boone, obviously there was Alexander. One more RB I can remember playing during a scrimmage from Conner was George Duvall, he was a beast.

Newport Catholic had a lot that I can't remember many names except for Sandfoss, Meyers, Wiggins, and Eviston. During the early 90s, Newport High School had possibly one of the best runningbacks in NKY, Adam Brown.

 

A few other standouts that I can think of came from teams with average and below average teams, including John Gibson and Nathan Brummett of Simon Kenton and Roy Hall from Scott High School. Hall may have been able to start as a RB for any school back then.

A couple more came to mind, Sefakis and Mills from Ludlow. Both of these guys were very talented.

This post definitely brings back some fun times, the times of the majority of these players was when I was still in high school as a football player and just shortly after. It also makes me remember how strong the NKY Class A district used to be. Even though Beechwood was still the best at this time, the district was still much tougher having Newport Catholic which was always tough, Lloyd when they were tough, Bellevue and Dayton which had good and not so good teams at times, and Ludlow. Dayton had its sub 500 seasons during this time, but it was nothing like it is now. During this time, the NKY Class A district was one of the best in the state and viewed as one of the most competitive of all districts from Class A to 4A.

Mid to late 80's

Bellevue- Mauser, Veatch, Apted,Swope, Leopold,Hoop Brothers, Berkley.

Dayton-Gifford, Klette, Workman, Doyen, Quillen, Brock twins

Highlands- Hergott, Moore, Stuemple, Monrfort, Blasingame

Beechwood-Best, Broeckhoft, Leftin, Brossart, Richardson, Williams

Newport-Meyer, Matteoli, Conrad, Kowolonek, Lanthorn, Swafford

NCC-Jacobs, Gabbard, Sandfoss, Haigis, Gearding

 

These are just some that I remember playing against or knowing. Im sure im leaving some out.

Justin Frisk is still the best I've ever seen, bar any classification! I started watching in the 70's.

Justin Frisk is still the best I've ever seen, bar any classification! I started watching in the 70's.

 

Strong runner and in my top 5 alltime. In no particular order id have to list these guys.

Justin Frisk, Shaun Alexander, Jason Skirvin, Jon Sutkamp and John Ransdell.

Strong runner and in my top 5 alltime. In no particular order id have to list these guys.

Justin Frisk, Shaun Alexander, Jason Skirvin, Jon Sutkamp and John Ransdell.

 

I take it you never watched David Simpson.

Menetry and the human bowling ball George Duvall were a lot of fun to watch. I'll go back to my Lloyd roots and add Jelani Brandon...

I take it you never watched David Simpson.

 

Nope but heard he was a stud. I was only 9 when he played and the only games i saw and remember back then wete the Bellevue games with the Sutkamp bothers.

Holmes has had a lot of very good athletes come through over the years:

 

Brandent Englemon QB/DB- Holmes 03 (Started FS at Michigan)

James "Meechie" Jackson LB- Holmes 02 (Played at Louisville then finished at Murray St after a few injuries)

Antwan Curry WR/DB- Holmes 99-00?? (Had 7 or 8 kick returns his senior year)

Sid Rice RB/WR/DB/LB- Holmes 99-00??

Jamarcus White WR/DB- Holmes 99-00??

Brian Ferguson QB- Holmes 98?? (I believe he was recruited by Florida St but he ended up not going for whatever reason)

 

Others that come to mind from Holmes are Marco Hallman (RB/DB), Jerry 'Stretch' Weaver (WR), and I believe they had another really good Rb in the early-mid 90's but can't think of his name.

 

That Holmes team in 2002 was absolutely loaded with talent. I believe they lost to Highlands that year 35-7 but beat them every which way except for on the scoreboard.

Justin Frisk is still the best I've ever seen, bar any classification! I started watching in the 70's.

 

I remember watching him play as a youngster and he was a man among boys out there.

 

If not for off the field issues, he would've been a big time recruit. He was a head case though from what I remember.

There are several players with me coming to mind. By the way, that team back from early 90s with Bellevue had all kinds of talent. If I remember right, they made the state title losing to Russellville. On into the 90s, Bellevue had Karcher, the Swopes, Roa, Fausz, the Wilsons, Cayze, and others.

 

As far as other players, the teams at Dayton from '95--97 had a lot of talent; Jason Skirvin, Mike Walls, Jerry Cline, Neil Richardson, Jason Leger, Matt Hundemer, and more. Obviously Beechwood had a lot of talent between the Wulfecks, Berger, Brockhoft, the Bishops, Lubrecht, Hergott, Zahler, Jones, Zeller, Huth, and more. There may be some forgotten talents at Lloyd; particularly Holmes, Lloyd, and Lee. If I remember right, Lee had some of the most impressive passing statistics of NKY quarterbacks during that time.

 

Many speak of some of the best teams of Highlands being over the more recent few years, however, I don't know how the team with the class of '93 can be forgotten. That was a loaded team with Scarlato at RB, Crawford at QB, and the lines on this team had Schlarman and Reynolds. I believe this was a very good team and I believe that Adam McCormick was QB for Cov Cath at that time, which was a big upset when Highlands beat them and advanced to win state that year.

 

Two good players come to mind for me from Campbell County during early/mid 90s; Doug Turner and Greg Menetry. From Boone, obviously there was Alexander. One more RB I can remember playing during a scrimmage from Conner was George Duvall, he was a beast.

Newport Catholic had a lot that I can't remember many names except for Sandfoss, Meyers, Wiggins, and Eviston. During the early 90s, Newport High School had possibly one of the best runningbacks in NKY, Adam Brown.

 

A few other standouts that I can think of came from teams with average and below average teams, including John Gibson and Nathan Brummett of Simon Kenton and Roy Hall from Scott High School. Hall may have been able to start as a RB for any school back then.

 

 

 

I hang around Nathan Brummett when he played for SK they used to call him the moose he was well over 250 pounds playing fullback and linebacker. He is about 200 pounds now and in great shape he should have played college ball he was one tough kid

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.