Is Sarah Hammond best 12th region player in history `?

Teams in 12th region will sure be glad to see Sarah Hammond graduate. She has carried Rock to 2 Regional championships and my guess is this will be the third. She has took a team of otherwise average players and turned it into a state tournament contender. I would vote her as the most dominant player in history of 12th region.

I wouldn't call the team "otherwise average players".

Angie Lawrence is one of the best in the region.

Jackie Alexander is now at D-1 West Point.

Michaela Hunter is a rising star.

They have a bench that would start at most other schools.

"Average"??

When this senior class were coming up in middle school, they won 70+ games and lost only 3. Sara was a very large part of that. But there was a hand full of games where she was on the bench in foul trouble and the other kids stepped up. I shouldn't say stepped up because they were a good bunch already. The same has happened at the High School level. There have been enough good players to not lose alot when Sara comes out of the game. Don't get me wrong, Sara is the best player to ever come out of Rockcastle IMO, but I wouldn't say the other girls are just average players. Angie Lawrence will play ball in college and Michaela Hunter will either play BB or run track in college. You have a couple more athletic girls that could possibly do other things in college like swimming, cross country, etc...

The Hunter girl is a sophomore and Jackie has gone to college. The rest of their players are mostly five foot four or less. If she gets in foul trouble Rock will be in trouble indeed. I can't think of 5 upperclassmen on the bench , much less that could start for most teams. I am told that outside the Hunter girl that they are pretty weak in lower three classes.

I would have to agree with Rednack, Sara has contributed more to the success of the girls basketball program at Rockcastle County than any other 12th region player in my memory. If she can lead her team to another regional championship I think she would have to be considered the best player in 12th region history.

Recent Rockcastle Girls Basketball:

When Sarah was in sixth grade, Rockcastle went to state led by arguably the best team ever that included Johnna Abney, (sister of current "Poodie") who went on to MTSU and played in NCAA tourney, Tara Rowe, and Heather Hammond, (sister of Sarah) who was offered WKU but took WKU track instead.

When Sarah was in seventh grade, Rockcastle went to state led by Ashley Lunsford who scholarshipped to Union College. Sara scored five points in their only game.

When Sarah was a freshman, Rockcastle went to state led by Sara Rowe, younger sister of Tara. Rowe was offered a spot at UK but and was a big hit at the Madness event but she eventually declined the offer. Sara scored 20 and Hammond scored 8 in a game that saw them lose a big lead. They won the region on a 31 pt performance by perennial starter Mary Saylor who scholershipped to Centre in softball.

Last year as a junior, Sara and Rockcastle had their best showing at state until the controversial loss. That team included Jackie Alexander, now at West Point on a basketball scholarship.

Yes, Sara Hammond is probably the best player so far from Rockcastle, especially considering her height, but she is one of many in recent and current times that have proven to be quite a bit more than "average".