Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chapman To Stay In Pen?

Featured Replies

I think Chapman has the potential to be a dominant closer. I would keep him in the bullpen if I were the Reds.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why they need to trade away someone to get a big RF bat and get him in the rotation. That is one expensive setup man.

 

Why are you giving up on Bruce?

Why are you giving up on Bruce?

 

I didn't mean RF I meant LF, RH bat.

Says who?? Why can't he be Randy Johnson all over again. In no way am I comparing him to Johnson' date=' but saying he's Strasburg all over again is ridiculous. And who is to say that Strasburg is a flop? He's had a injury, but he's still 23 I think[/quote']Says me. Because there have been so many Randy Johnson's out there.

:rolleyes: I'd say that he's more apt to be a taller B.Wagner than a Randy Johnson. And why do we act like he's making NY Yankee type money? I think he's more than reasonable especially if you get any improvement at the end of the pen next year for the entire campaign.

 

Will he get the opportunity to start someday? Probably. But I think a year at the back of the pen and another year of work will give those that make those decisions a much better handle on exactly how they feel about him.

Says me. Because there have been so many Randy Johnson's out there.:rolleyes: I'd say that he's more apt to be a taller B.Wagner than a Randy Johnson. And why do we act like he's making NY Yankee type money? I think he's more than reasonable especially if you get any improvement at the end of the pen next year for the entire campaign.

 

Will he get the opportunity to start someday? Probably. But I think a year at the back of the pen and another year of work will give those that make those decisions a much better handle on exactly how they feel about him.

 

Yep. No one is saying in the bully for his career. Another year or two won't hurt anyone.

Yep. No one is saying in the bully for his career. Another year or two won't hurt anyone.

 

What is that going to help?

What is that going to help?

 

Better chance of him staying healthy for a longer period of time. Like I said in my previous post, no one knows how much this kid has thrown in the last 10 years.

I don't see where leaving him in the bullpen can hurt. At least a year or two. I assume he will be successful, so that breeds confidence. The older he gets the stronger he will get. All positives.

 

I'm still waiting on Walt to pull the trigger on a big deal. I don't know what it is, but he has a history. Look at McGwire in St. Louis... :idunno:

I say one more season in the pen. I'd love to see him come in to close games. That would be a huge weapon for the Reds.

He can bean ever bigger weapon as a starter. If it doesn't work put him in the pen.

He can bean ever bigger weapon as a starter. If it doesn't work put him in the pen.

 

He could definitely be a bigger weapon as a starter. I just don't see him being consistent game in game out having to go 6+ innings at this time. I could be very wrong though, you don't see guys with this kind of arm too often.

The good thing about this is they have enough guys capable of starting, no need to rush him into the rotation.

He could definitely be a bigger weapon as a starter. I just don't see him being consistent game in game out having to go 6+ innings at this time. I could be very wrong though, you don't see guys with this kind of arm too often.

 

He's not consistent enough to start every 5th day but you're comfortable with bringing him into a tight ballgame out of the pen?

Says me. Because there have been so many Randy Johnson's out there.:rolleyes: I'd say that he's more apt to be a taller B.Wagner than a Randy Johnson. And why do we act like he's making NY Yankee type money? I think he's more than reasonable especially if you get any improvement at the end of the pen next year for the entire campaign.

 

Will he get the opportunity to start someday? Probably. But I think a year at the back of the pen and another year of work will give those that make those decisions a much better handle on exactly how they feel about him.

 

Maybe you missed where I said "no way I'm comparing him to Randy Johnson"? And you roll your eyes and say "there have been so many Randy Johnson's out there"???

The reason is because no one is even close to having that potential and Chapman does. Why not try him as a starter, then if he struggles you can move him to the pen. I'm one of the biggest Reds fans out there, but they aren't going to win a World Series w/o a big time starter. Volquez has the stuff to be, but why not give the guy with the best stuff(maybe in the world) a chance. It just seems crazy to me to not give Chapman a chance to start because this team is ready to win now, but they need a frontline starter to go deep in the playoffs.

 

Rangers-Lee

Giants-Lincecum/Cain

Yankees-Sabathia

Phillies-Everyone

Rays-Price

Reds-Arroyo? Volquez? Cueto? A proven big game pitcher?

 

The best teams have them. The Reds are better 1-5 than 90% of the teams, but their 1-3 and just average

He can bean ever bigger weapon as a starter. If it doesn't work put him in the pen.

 

 

 

Look, I know that all of you Reds fans are penciling him in for 18 wins next year as a starter. However, in spite of his speed gun exploits there is a reason that the big name teams declined to pay him less than Jason Bay made this season. There is something in Chapman's release, motion or mental makeup that made the big market teams back up. Maybe he fixes it, maybe he doesn't. But he wouldn't be the first person that could regularly reach triple digits on the radar gun to flame out. I have heard from a good source that Aroldis is older than he says and doesn't have the mental makeup to be a #1 starter or closer. Nothing is ever his fault. As around and see what you find out.......

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.