Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Elliott to play Friday night against Simon Kenton

Featured Replies

Well, I guess Travis Elliott is healthy enough to play tomorrow evening. I got word that he practiced today and will indeed suit up and play against SK.

Good news for the Raiders. If you are SK, you want to beat a team when they are healthy. Right uk#1fan? Now I can go vote for Ryle.

I can only hope and pray that Elliott does not sustain any long term damage for playing in a game that means nothing when compared to the quality of life. I am not sure how intelligent of a decision this is considering the blow he took only a week ago tomorrow. If I was a doc, I would not want my signature on the cleared to play line. Actually very surprised that his parents and head coach are allowing it. Good luck to him.

From what I heard they are saying it was just a mild concussion and he escaped the bad stuff. Not sure who all went into this evaluation. Stay healthy T.

Let's all hope for the best. The way Elliott plays - hard hitting, smash mouth - concerns me. If he were a wide receiver or DB, I would be less concerned. But that isn't Travis.

  • Author
From what I heard they are saying it was just a mild concussion and he escaped the bad stuff. Not sure who all went into this evaluation. Stay healthy T.

 

That is exactly what I was told also. He apparently passed all tests and was given the go ahead by doctors. I agree with RE. At the end of the day, it's only a game. It would be a shame if any further damage were to occur because of a decision based on wins and losses. That said, I am confident that Coach Warner wouldn't let him play if he wasn't 100% sure that Travis was completely healthy.

That is exactly what I was told also. He apparently passed all tests and was given the go ahead by doctors. I agree with RE. At the end of the day, it's only a game. It would be a shame if any further damage were to occur because of a decision based on wins and losses. That said, I am confident that Coach Warner wouldn't let him play if he wasn't 100% sure that Travis was completely healthy.

 

I will pray all involved are making the correct decision. I hope he plays well.

we were all guessing how bad it was in the beginning. Please don't assume they are sending him back when he shouldn't. I know his parents wouldn't allow it so I'm confident that if he plays he is ready to play!

That's the point, you're not a doc. Let the physician (whom I'm pretty sure has some intelligence) determine whether Travis is healthy enough to play or not and don't publicly blaspheme individuals involved in the decision. I'd like to think every measure has been considered in this decision and not just a win or loss to the Ryle program. If Travis does indeed play I wish him as well as all the other high school players across the board " A Safe Friday Night"!

  • Author
Only a jr.' date=' right?:confused:[/quote']

 

Right

That's the point, you're not a doc. Let the physician (whom I'm pretty sure has some intelligence) determine whether Travis is healthy enough to play or not and don't publicly blaspheme individuals involved in the decision. I'd like to think every measure has been considered in this decision and not just a win or loss to the Ryle program. If Travis does indeed play I wish him as well as all the other high school players across the board " A Safe Friday Night"!

 

Well said LTG.

What we don't know is what exactly the doctor said. He/She may have said "I'd rather you didn't but you can if you want" or did he/she say "there is absolutely no risk associated with your previous injury." Both allow the kid to play and allow the coach to say "the doctor said...." but it doesn't mean it's the wise thing to do. I'd take the cautionary route simply due to the number of problems that have been found that are a result of playing soon after a concussion.

What we don't know is what exactly the doctor said. He/She may have said "I'd rather you didn't but you can if you want" or did he/she say "there is absolutely no risk associated with your previous injury." Both allow the kid to play and allow the coach to say "the doctor said...." but it doesn't mean it's the wise thing to do. I'd take the cautionary route simply due to the number of problems that have been found that are a result of playing soon after a concussion.

 

Agreed, especially with him being a junior, not to mention the fact that they've still got several games left this season.

What we don't know is what exactly the doctor said. He/She may have said "I'd rather you didn't but you can if you want" or did he/she say "there is absolutely no risk associated with your previous injury." Both allow the kid to play and allow the coach to say "the doctor said...." but it doesn't mean it's the wise thing to do. I'd take the cautionary route simply due to the number of problems that have been found that are a result of playing soon after a concussion.

 

Quote below from linked article.

 

A second concussion shortly after the first can cause serious and long-term effects, according to scientific studies. In rare cases, teenagers, whose brains are not yet fully developed, will die from "second impact syndrome," swelling in the brain that results from a second head trauma before symptoms of the first have completely cleared.

 

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/highschool/10/09/ryne.dougherty/index.html#ixzz11nTHwll3

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.