September 23, 201016 yr I even revised my opinion of people your age. Well, that was your first mistake...
September 24, 201016 yr Like others have said I just don't understand how soooo many people feel like they're entitled to so much. You're entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, to get the rest you have to earn it, not have it handed to you which is not what many Americans think these days. Pathetic really.
September 24, 201016 yr Does the study say that people think the wealthy should give up some of their wealth? I read just the first few pages and I took that people think, if given a choice, that the wealth should be distributed more evenly. I don't think those are one in the same.
September 24, 201016 yr Author Does the study say that people think the wealthy should give up some of their wealth? I read just the first few pages and I took that people think, if given a choice, that the wealth should be distributed more evenly. I don't think those are one in the same. They were shown pie graphs and the majority of people selected swedens more evenly distributed wealth thinking it was ours. The second aspect that was interesting was when they were asked to select a graph that most represented the wealth distribution that they would prefer to live in, the majority selected a more evenly distrubted wealth pattern. The study did not have any aspect about actually wanting or suggestion that it should be distributed more evenly. Definately not one in the same. To me it was interesting because it shows that when it gets down to the acutally numbers and the emotions and traditions are removed people perfer a more evenly distributed society and secondly that most people in this country have no idea of just how unevenly the wealth in this country is distributed.
September 24, 201016 yr No, I see a multitude of lazy people in every avenue of life, every single day. The laziness of college students is disgusting, the laziness of those in the workplace isn't much better. Many, I'd even venture to say most, Americans would much rather be given something, than have to expend any energy to achieving or earning it. It's a sad, sad situation our country is in, but personal responsibility has completely flown out the window. As an example, I'm being lazy right now by posting on here, when I should be studying for my CPA exam which is a mere 10 days away. :scared: Warning - this is a brief threadjack. I know two CPAs who passed all four sections on their first try (I may have told this story before, if so please excuse the ramblings of a senile old man). One was a friend from Boyd County who used to audit our CMHC way back in the day. The other was a lady from the Ukraine who works (I guess she's still there) for a firm in Louisville that did our audit more recently. I imagine that she had to work pretty daggone hard to overcome a significant language barrier to pass that bad boy on the first go-round.
September 24, 201016 yr Agreed, however, there seem to be more that know how to work the angles than in the past. Agreed on that, too. Entitlement comes in many forms. Some think that they are entitled to use profanity in any setting as loudly and as much as they want to. Some think that they are entitled to leave their shopping carts in the parking space next to their car, instead of walking an extra 10 yards to put it in the cart return. Some think that they are entitled to break laws without an consequences. And, yes...there are those that think that they are entitled to money that they didn't earn. To me, it's all the same. I'm not a fan of any of it.
September 24, 201016 yr Agreed on that, too. Entitlement comes in many forms. Some think that they are entitled to use profanity in any setting as loudly and as much as they want to. Some think that they are entitled to leave their shopping carts in the parking space next to their car, instead of walking an extra 10 yards to put it in the cart return. Some think that they are entitled to break laws without an consequences. And, yes...there are those that think that they are entitled to money that they didn't earn. To me, it's all the same. I'm not a fan of any of it. Totally agree on every point. :thumb:
September 25, 201016 yr I think this is an interesting study on American views of the distribution of wealth in our country. Turns out most Americans would prefer a more even distribution. http://www.people.hbs.edu/mnorton/norton%20ariely%20in%20press.pdf I say we begin with pro sports. Let's let everyone who dreams of playing in the spotlight have their fair turn. No more distinguishing between those with amazing talent and hard work... and no more paying millions to the superstars. Everyone gets paid the same... and what's the big deal about awarding trophies to winning teams? Why do we even keep score if every one is equal? That should be fun to watch on TV. Then we can do the same thing with doctors. Why should the folks that went to school an extra 12 years get all that extra money for doing things like brain or heart surgery? And don't carpenters use drills too? Why should dentists get paid more for using tiny drills on teeth? After seeing American Idol, I'm aware there are many people who want to sing and have their own albums. Why restrict it to the few who can actually sing in a way our ears can tolerate? Shoot, there's a whole list of people that make lots more more than other folks. It just isn't fair.
September 25, 201016 yr Like others have said I just don't understand how soooo many people feel like they're entitled to so much. You're entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, to get the rest you have to earn it, not have it handed to you which is not what many Americans think these days. Pathetic really. I don't know any Americans who think anything has to be handed to them. Not one. I hear you guys talk about people, but I wonder if you actually KNOW somebody who believes that and has communicated that to you or if comments like these are based on assumptions.
September 25, 201016 yr I say we begin with pro sports. Let's let everyone who dreams of playing in the spotlight have their fair turn. No more distinguishing between those with amazing talent and hard work... and no more paying millions to the superstars. Everyone gets paid the same... and what's the big deal about awarding trophies to winning teams? Why do we even keep score if every one is equal? That should be fun to watch on TV. Then we can do the same thing with doctors. Why should the folks that went to school an extra 12 years get all that extra money for doing things like brain or heart surgery? And don't carpenters use drills too? Why should dentists get paid more for using tiny drills on teeth? After seeing American Idol, I'm aware there are many people who want to sing and have their own albums. Why restrict it to the few who can actually sing in a way our ears can tolerate? Shoot, there's a whole list of people that make lots more more than other folks. It just isn't fair. I am sorry that you missed the point completely. I will probably agree however that we pay sports stars too much.
September 25, 201016 yr I don't know any Americans who think anything has to be handed to them. Not one. I hear you guys talk about people, but I wonder if you actually KNOW somebody who believes that and has communicated that to you or if comments like these are based on assumptions. If you don't see it, it is simply because you choose not to see it. The term "Generational Welfare" is real and true. You have gerenations of people who see their parents not go to work and collect a check, and they think that's the way life is supposed to be. You obviously have never run any kind of business small or large and employed people. I can't even come close to counting the number of people who are on welfare who know exactly how much money they can make and keep their maximum government money coming in. I have had many come in and quit at some point during the year because they had made "all that they are allowed to make."
September 25, 201016 yr I think this is an interesting study on American views of the distribution of wealth in our country. Turns out most Americans would prefer a more even distribution. http://www.people.hbs.edu/mnorton/norton%20ariely%20in%20press.pdf Personally I would think that the results are about what most would expect. IMO the majority Americans want everybody to be successful and do well. The article didn't seem to say that wealth should be redistributed from one person to another, just that the majority of people feel that a more even distribution of wealth is prefered. I agree. The issue is how do you get there. I would say that is one of the most predominant issues of today. Taking from one and giving to another is not the answer.
September 25, 201016 yr I am sorry that you missed the point completely. I will probably agree however that we pay sports stars too much. LOL I haven't missed anything. The principle is essentially the same. It is unfair that some "won the lottery of life" and are able to earn more for their talents and efforts than others. This absurdity applies to all areas of life. I only used sports to illustrate the nonsense of this mindset. It amazes me the number of kids and parents that are in favor of "redistrubution of wealth" overall but would scream bloody murder if the high school coach played less gifted less committed little Bobby equal time with their more gifted more committed son. If it's unfair for a coach to play every kid equally, regardless of each kid's talent, physical attributes, work ethic, intelligence and understanding of the game... how is is remotely "fair" to confiscate the financial fruits of the successful and essentially hand it to the less productive? There is a reason we award As to students that study, understand and master various subjects, and lower grades to those who don't. How is it fair to give every kid an A regardless of understanding or effort to gain that understanding? The fact that the less productive have the opportunity to drive the paved roads, cross the bridges, and utilize the infrastructure, law enforcement and other perks paid for by the productive is totally unappreciated. Society benefits far more by rewarding productivity... or at the very least, not punishing it and rewarding nonproductivity with the proceeds.
September 25, 201016 yr I don't know any Americans who think anything has to be handed to them. Not one. I hear you guys talk about people, but I wonder if you actually KNOW somebody who believes that and has communicated that to you or if comments like these are based on assumptions. Sadly, I know many Americans that fit this profile. I doubt whether one of them would actually admit they want things handed to them, but when I see "healthy" adults applying for and receiving government disability, while covertly putting in the manual labor to build a new house for their family... or living on welfare while sporting the latest $400 Coach leather purse, I don't know what else you could honestly call it.
September 25, 201016 yr I am sorry that you missed the point completely. I will probably agree however that we pay sports stars too much. Ace, tell me your POV on wealth distribution? What is the point that Fastbreak missed?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.