Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would You Re-Sign Derek Jeter?

Featured Replies

Jeter's contract is up after this year. I'm guessing he'll be looking for a 3 to 4 yr contract at a very high price.

 

Would you sign him if you were the Yanks?

  • Replies 66
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeter's contract is up after this year. I'm guessing he'll be looking for a 3 to 4 yr contract at a very high price.

 

Would you sign him if you were the Yanks?

 

 

Define very high price. Who do the Yankees have in their farm system to take over? What other shortstops will be available as a free agent? I know all of those don't really matter because the Yankees will resign him.

If the Yankees do not resign Jeter I will no longer pull for the pinstripes. He's the reason I started watching the Yankees, and even if he isn't what he used to be, I think he's worth twice his talent in leadership and just being a good guy.

  • Author
If the Yankees do not resign Jeter I will no longer pull for the pinstripes. He's the reason I started watching the Yankees, and even if he isn't what he used to be, I think he's worth twice his talent in leadership and just being a good guy.

 

Why should the re-sign him if they decide that he's not worth the investment?

 

.264

limited range which was never great anyways.

Will be 37 next season.

 

$20M per?

  • Author
Define very high price. .

 

Let's assume $20M per.

I think they pretty much said they will do whatever it takes. Jeter isn't goin to be worth what they pay him. I think they kind of have to.

I would be willing to give him a 3 year deal for $49MM. I think that would be similar to the generous deal the Reds gave Larkin on his way out the door. He's a first ballot HOF'er and needs to retire a Yankee.

The Yankees can afford to throw away cash, and they probably will to keep Jeter in pinstripes. Any other team would be well-advised not to come close to what is sure to be his asking price.

Why should the re-sign him if they decide that he's not worth the investment?

 

.264

limited range which was never great anyways.

Will be 37 next season.

 

$20M per?

 

Why? He's one of the greatest Yankees of all-time. That's enough right there. He's earned the right to finish his career there, and make a fortune while doing it. Did the Yanks not win last year with Jeter in the lineup? Are they not a favorite this season? Will resigning him make them fall off the map next year?

Jeter always has been and always will be the most overrated player in the history of baseball. He'll get his money because the Yankees are the opposite of the Patriots and they overpay everybody. Jeter isn't even the best shortstop on his team. Can you tell I don't like Jeter?

I would be willing to give him a 3 year deal for $49MM. I think that would be similar to the generous deal the Reds gave Larkin on his way out the door. He's a first ballot HOF'er and needs to retire a Yankee.

 

That deal crippled the Reds and set their franchise/rebuilding back by 5 or 6 years. I don't see how they resign him at 20Mil his VORP would be awful. If they do it is strictly PR and I guess the Yankees have the dough to make a decision like that.

  • Author
The Yankees can afford to throw away cash, and they probably will to keep Jeter in pinstripes. Any other team would be well-advised not to come close to what is sure to be his asking price.

 

Agree on all points.

  • Author
Why? He's one of the greatest Yankees of all-time. That's enough right there. He's earned the right to finish his career there, and make a fortune while doing it. Did the Yanks not win last year with Jeter in the lineup? Are they not a favorite this season? Will resigning him make them fall off the map next year?

 

Teams do not OWE it to players to pay them more than they're worth just because they have been good in the past. That mentality hurt the Reds with Larkin. The Yanks are the exception and have enough money to throw down the toilet. No way you pay DJ the money he'll be asking for a declining bat and a glove.

Teams do not OWE it to players to pay them more than they're worth just because they have been good in the past. That mentality hurt the Reds with Larkin. The Yanks are the exception and have enough money to throw down the toilet. No way you pay DJ the money he'll be asking for a declining bat and a glove.

 

Let's not compare the Reds and Yankees in this. Larkin was great for the Reds, but being a great Reds player just isn't the same as being an all-time Yankee and we all know the Reds don't have the disposable income the Yanks have. Jeter helped bring the Yankees back to the top of baseball. He's earned the right to be paid to stay with the Yankees as long as he wants. 20 million per year is chump change to the Yankees, especially considering his presence does nothing but benefit them from a monetary standpoint. Declining bat and glove are unquestionable, but he is equally as important to Yankee nation as a leader, winner, good citizen/role model, and team legend. Until Jeter cost the Yankees a chance at winning the World Series, I see no reason not to pay him, even if it is considerably more than market value.

I would be willing to give him a 3 year deal for $49MM. I think that would be similar to the generous deal the Reds gave Larkin on his way out the door. He's a first ballot HOF'er and needs to retire a Yankee.

 

I thought the Reds only paid Larking something in the neighborhood of $27 million over 3 years? Big difference there.

 

The Yankees can afford to throw away cash, and they probably will to keep Jeter in pinstripes. Any other team would be well-advised not to come close to what is sure to be his asking price.

 

:thumb: You nailed it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.