JCPS High School Football-Equalizing?

rockmom

Something was said in another thread about Male as "fallen". I think that was from the assumption that Male is suffering from Bob Redman's departure.

I don't agree, though. Louisville football has been enjoying quite a bit of success, maybe at the expense of Male. We see great strides being made at Ballard. Butler is a pretty darned good team, and Central is solidly considered among the state's top teams.

I submit that the growing success of programs like Ballard, Central and Butler are part of the reason. I think that the growing academic success and magnet programs in JCPS also has a huge role. It wasn't that long ago that pretty much every family wanted to get their kid(s) into Male and Manual, and really didn't consider the other options.

I think that we've seen an equalizing affect at Male over the last 5-6 years, and I think the departure of Redmon is not nearly the negative effect on the program as are the other factors.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on this from Male posters and (of course) everyone else.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something was said in another thread about Male as "fallen". I think that was from the assumption that Male is suffering from Bob Redman's departure.

I don't agree, though. Louisville football has been enjoying quite a bit of success, maybe at the expense of Male. We see great strides being made at Ballard. Butler is a pretty darned good team, and Central is solidly considered among the state's top teams.

I submit that the growing success of programs like Ballard, Central and Butler are part of the reason. I think that the growing academic success and magnet programs in JCPS also has a huge role. It wasn't that long ago that pretty much every family wanted to get their kid(s) into Male and Manual, and really didn't consider the other options.

I think that we've seen an equalizing affect at Male over the last 5-6 years, and I think the departure of Redmon is not nearly the negative effect on the program as are the other factors.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on this from Male posters and (of course) everyone else.

In their class...........

I will say that JCPS football as a whole is considerably better than their Lexington counterparts. I agree that Male/Redmon not being able to get in the non-feeder school kids has played a part in the talent being disbursed more equally. I do think Ballard has surpassed Male as the top JCPS Dawg.

Overall. They have faced the best the state's had to offer in the past half-decade, and took their lumps at times and competed quite well in others. They consistently beat Louisville 6A schools, and I think few would argue that Louisville's 6A districts aren't the best in the state, regardless of class.

Overall. They have faced the best the state's had to offer in the past half-decade, and took their lumps at times and competed quite well in others. They consistently beat Louisville 6A schools, and I think few would argue that Louisville's 6A districts aren't the best in the state, regardless of class.

Central has definitely proven themselves an annual top 20 team in the entire state, with some years knocking around in the top 10.

Don't think you've followed Central too closely of late if you truly think Central's only elite in 3A...

I think they are the team that has benefitted from Kentucky going to 6 classes.

They are a fine team that will make a run at winning 3A again. But they are not close to being one of the top teams in the state.

I think they are the team that has benefitted from Kentucky going to 6 classes.

They are a fine team that will make a run at winning 3A again. But they are not close to being one of the top teams in the state.

Maybe not this season, but I think if you compare schools over a five year period, based upon the teams they've beat and their postseason success, then Central has to be considered among the top 15-20 teams in the state.

The equalizer was expanding to six classes. Central has a good team, players and coaches, but would have no state championships if there were still only four clases in Kentucky.
Debatable ... they would have been matched up with Fort Campbell the last three years in 2A, and they could have beaten the Falcons in either 2007 or 2008.

I will say that JCPS football as a whole is considerably better than their Lexington counterparts. I agree that Male/Redmon not being able to get in the non-feeder school kids has played a part in the talent being disbursed more equally. I do think Ballard has surpassed Male as the top JCPS Dawg.

How in the World has Ballard topped Male as top JCPS dawg when they haven't played yet this year and they have beaten Male only 1 time(that was last years regular season game 7-3, Male won the playoff game against them) out of the last 4 times. Ballard has a nice team this year but no way should they be crowned yet.

I agree with DAWG, To "PASS" a team you have to win over a time period. Ballard is very good and it will be a great game to watch. If Ballard wins this year, it just that they won this year. Male still has a lot of good things going on.

I'm glad to see Ballard/Central/Western getting better. Also Fern Creek/Manual were good last year and still can have a great season this year. We have come a long way in JCPS and I don't see it going down soon. The middle school programs are working out real well. I've gone to a game and was impressed. Optimist teams are also very strong and actually can beat most of the middle schools I've seen. So this works well for the publics, until...

I agree with DAWG, To "PASS" a team you have to win over a time period. Ballard is very good and it will be a great game to watch. If Ballard wins this year, it just that they won this year. Male still has a lot of good things going on.

I'm glad to see Ballard/Central/Western getting better. Also Fern Creek/Manual were good last year and still can have a great season this year. We have come a long way in JCPS and I don't see it going down soon. The middle school programs are working out real well. I've gone to a game and was impressed. Optimist teams are also very strong and actually can beat most of the middle schools I've seen. So this works well for the publics, until...

Larry, somebody has to be on Top every year...I'm not saying Ballard's football program has been better than Male's over the decades or last half century. I'm just talking right now. I think Ballard has the better team right now which would make them the Top Dawg. See, the Top Dawg is not a crown for life..it's earned every season..