JCPS High School Football-Equalizing?

rockmom

I think Rockmom was trying to say there is a ltmof parity amoung the Jefferson Co Public schools. Key word was public, in comparison to each other not private schools.

On a side note when did Butler become a darn good team?

I haven't seen them yet this year but they haven't been what I would consider a "good" team in several years

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that there are three things necessary to reach parity.

1. Quality coaching staff. I am prejudiced enough to believe that no one will match the coaching staff at Trinity, but there are very fine coaches at several of the JCPSs. I don't believe that quality coaching is the problem.

2. Quality skill position athletes. That one is not a problem now and it hasn't been in the past.

3. Seventy or eighty average athletes that are willing to practice three years to play one (maybe) and that are willing to push every day in practice, knowing that the chances of getting in the game are not good. That is the one that no one seems to have solved. I know that it can be solved, I just don't know how.

This is a pretty good break-down. I'd say you left one important thing off (maybe it goes with your #3)... that's a STRUCTURED, MANDATORY off-season strength/speed/quickness/toughness training program.

I am not too modest to say that I think we've got...

* the off-season program I referenced (we have in-school weightlifting classes as well as after-school required workouts),

* your #1 (best collection of assistant coaches I've ever worked with),

* your #2 (goes without saying if you've seen our skilled guys),

* and yes, even your #3 now in play at Ballard (Fridays for us are now senior-dominated...JV is made up of quality juniors and sophomores who would've started varsity for many of my former teams).

After practicing one of the most impressive classes of FRESHMEN I've ever seen, with our VARSITY coaches this season (meaning they'll get the same position coaching for 4 straight years...now THAT'S a dedicated staff of coaches that are willing to do that!) -- and many of those Frosh getting valuable JV experience against older kids this year -- I can say that we're pretty pumped about the future at Ballard even AFTER this incredible Senior class graduates.

I think Rockmom was trying to say there is a ltmof parity amoung the Jefferson Co Public schools. Key word was public, in comparison to each other not private schools.

On a side note when did Butler become a darn good team?

I haven't seen them yet this year but they haven't been what I would consider a "good" team in several years

You are right about what I was saying. And I could be mistaken about Butler. But, I did give several other examples that were solid. :D

Make no mistake, everyone. I do not believe there is such a thing as a "level playing field", whether it be public/private, private/private, or public/public as the topic of discussion. That's simply not a reality. But I do believe that the days of one or two public schools in Louisville dominating the public school football scene are gone. Think about it. It used to be that Male was the "go to" school for traditional programs, and they had a superb football team and great support. Manual was the school you wanted to get into for superb academics, and their football team enjoys great alumni and school support. But Central, although not competing in the same class has a reputation for great magnet programs, and their football team is a top program. It's a solidly viable choice for parents and kids who want the combination that before they felt was missing. Ballard is the other one I believe is reaping the benefits of top academic choices and great football and support. Someone else mentioned Fern Creek. I haven't seen them play in a while, so I didn't mention them. But I accept what others here say, because they obviously do see them. As for academics, I know their Traditional Program has been growing in popularity, but I'm not sure that outside that program they fit the criteria I used to make my statement. I do think that Coach J has outlined exactly the points to building a great program. But I also think that the ability to draw kids whose parents are involved, believe and practice the discipline he describes across all facets of their child's high school career is a shot in the arm for the football program. I think that Male and Manual have enjoyed that benefit the most over the last couple of decades, and to a lesser degree, Ballard. But now other schools are beginning to see that build at their schools as well. I do feel the coaching philosophy at Ballard has been what has made the most difference, because I've always considered Ballard a top academic choice.

Let me also make it clear that I do not believe that "success" is defined simply by beating Trinity or X. I think that is obviously an end-goal, but to me success is the continuous improvement of a program, stability within the program, and the biggest....they buy-in by the players, parents and administration to the same goal of excellence in their sports as in their classrooms.

Ballard is the other one I believe is reaping the benefits of top academic choices and great football and support.

...as is evidenced by Newsweek magazine's recent rating of Ballard as the 3rd highest-ranked Kentucky public high school (just after Manual and Beechwood) -- ranked ahead of great schools like Oldham County HS, Fort Thomas Highlands, North Oldham HS, Male Traditional, etc.

The Newsweek award is for how we service our 'overall student population.' But we offer an excellent program of studies for the ADVANCED student, as seen by our recently-awarded "Siemens Award" which goes to the top-performing school for Advanced Placement results in each state (not just based on numbers of kids TAKING AP courses, but based on best TEST RESULTS).

Our enrollment is up to the highest it's ever been (just had to convert a large common area into 4 new classrooms and hired several new teachers to keep student-teacher ratio at an optimal level) -- kids from outside our district are applying like crazy to get in here. I think that's due to the reputation we have all over the city as THE school with the best mix of academics, athletics, and social offerings.

Let me also make it clear that I do not believe that "success" is defined simply by beating Trinity or X. I think that is obviously an end-goal, but to me success is the continuous improvement of a program, stability within the program, and the biggest....they buy-in by the players, parents and administration to the same goal of excellence in their sports as in their classrooms.

I don't think I could've put a voice to what we believe any better than this, except to add that our MAIN goal at Ballard is OFF the field; it is what I require of myself and charge our coaching staff with as what should guide them in everything they do when we coach -- the championships to come will be great...but we will always judge the success of our program on how it did in "building men for life beyond."