Record Number In Government Anti-Poverty Programs

WASHINGTON — Government anti-poverty programs that have grown to meet the needs of recession victims now serve a record one in six Americans and are continuing to expand.

More than 50 million Americans are on Medicaid, the federal-state program aimed principally at the poor, a survey of state data by USA TODAY shows. That's up at least 17% since the recession began in December 2007.

"Virtually every Medicaid director in the country would say that their current enrollment is the highest on record," says Vernon Smith of Health Management Associates, which surveys states for Kaiser Family Foundation.

The program has grown even before the new health care law adds about 16 million people, beginning in 2014. That has strained doctors. "Private physicians are already indicating that they're at their limit," says Dan Hawkins of the National Association of Community Health Centers.

More than 40 million people get food stamps, an increase of nearly 50% during the economic downturn, according to government data through May. The program has grown steadily for three years.

Link

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one thing left to do......another stimulus bill, and another after that, and another after that, and another after that, and another after that, and...well you get the point.
You forgot to mention the solid strategy of "another stimulus bill" out of Obama's stash, that'll really get things rolling.

People clearly just don't get it. Big government is the answer to all our needs and wants. Utopia is possible only with 100% government. We no longer need to work and toil to achieve our wildest dreams. We merely need to trust our immaculate leaders in Washington. They are so selfless... wanting nothing but what is best for each and every one of us.

I just felt a thrill run up my leg...

So the cause is purely Obama's policies. Which one particularly has CAUSED the employment rate to go down so much?

But were't his enlightend polocies supposed to keep it below 10%? Wasn't that the cause of the huge rush to pass the Porkulous bill?

But were't his enlightend polocies supposed to keep it below 10%? Wasn't that the cause of the huge rush to pass the Porkulous bill?

Obama said if the Stimulus Bill was not passed unemployment would go to 8 1/2%, yet it made it to 9.9% - 10%. Here is a case were doing nothing would have been better.

Here is a case were doing nothing would have been better.

So you're saying if the president had said "I know the economy is bad, we'll do nothing and see how that works," that you guys and the rest of the Republicans would have sat back and said "hey, that's a good plan. I like it."

So you're saying if the president had said "I know the economy is bad, we'll do nothing and see how that works," that you guys and the rest of the Republicans would have sat back and said "hey, that's a good plan. I like it."

He didn't say that at all. He thinks it would have worked out better, he didn't say the president would not have been blasted. Of course he would have been blasted. Presidents get blasted no matter what they do, or don't do.