Bellevue 35 Newport 34

Congrats to the Tigers ! Go Black n Gold.

Bellevue I heard scored 20 straight points to come from behind.

Newport jumped out ahead 20-8 then Bellevue cuts it to 20-15. Newport answers and goes up 26-15 and then the Tigers go on a tear and score 20 straight. Newport added a TD and 2pt conversion late to make the final score.

Slater had a big game and the highlight i saw on one of his scores it looked like a mack truck would have fit in that hole. Newport's Qb apparently is extremely talented. Congrats to coach Shearer and welcome to the Tiger tradition.

Brown is very good. On the drive where Newport scored with 4:30 left in the game, he single handedly led the Cats down the field with his legs. Then on the 2 point conversion went around right side on a busted play and dove over a Bellevue defender to get the 2. Extremely athletic kid.

It should be noted that with the score 35-34 Newport had a td called back due to ineligible receiver downfield. That really took the wind out of the sails of the Wildcats.

For Newport, #21 and Carter (?) both looked good other than Brown. #46 on defense was our nkysports.com player of the game. He was all over the place.

For Bellevue, Slater pretty much carried them when they went on their tear to take the lead. He was bringing some serious pain on the Newport defenders. Tigers also got a nice effort out of #23, Huff (?) who is a freshman. We may have another Ricky Buckler on our hands. He looked very good for his age and converted several key 3rd down plays.

Both teams will get better as the season progresses. Newport simply couldn't stop the run late in the game and that helped Bellevue pick up the W.

For those who are interested, you can watch this game at nkysports.com under our webcasts link.

I saw this game. It was a very exciting game. Newport got off to a great start, and had a 26 to 15 lead. The two keys in the game, came on the opening kickoff of the second half. Newport couldn't handle the kickoff and Bellevue got it at Newports 20 and punched it in. Then Newport later in the game had their own guy back into the punt as they were punting and Bellevue got the ball at about Newports 30 and punched it in. Those were two huge plays, because it just gave Bellevue the ball and didn't have to drive far for the touchdown.

It really came down to a game of mistakes for Newport. They had those two plays I mentioned, and two touchdowns also called back because of penalties. Newport hurt their ownselves all game, and give credit to Bellevue because they took advantage of it. Slater had a very good game, he runs very hard. Newport was without their starting middle linebacker and center for the game. With him they probably stop or at least slow down some of those runs he had.