Bellevue 35 Newport 34

Great game for both teams ! I was really impressed with Bellevue's runningback #22 Slater big, strong and good speed. But Newport has some great team speed, they have so many weapons on Offense they are going to be a team to recond with Mid-season. But the youngman I was most impressed with was #46 Jake Whaley LB for Newport's defense, flat out nasty good size, speed and a real tough football player, I bet he was in on 20 Tackles and a couple sacks, great game he plays the game the way its suppose to be played, Jake has to be one of the better Linebackers in NKY. I'm not sure but there was some Whaley brothers that used to play for Highlands back in the years, wonder if he is related. Good Luck both Teams!!!

BELLEVUE 35, NEWPORT 34 – Senior D.J. Slater scored back-to-back touchdowns early in the fourth quarter, and a two-point conversion following the latter iced the game.

Slater finished with 23 carries for 195 yards, four touchdowns and a two-point conversion.

It was the first career win for Tigers coach Russ Shearer, who lost his coaching debut vs. Holy Cross last week.

NEWPORT 20-6-0-8—34

at BELLEVUE 8-7-6-14—35

N-McDay 29 pass from Brown (Franco kick)

N-Engram 51 fumble recovery (Franco kick)

B-Slater 59 run (Slater run)

N-Brown 25 run (pass failed)

B-Slater 4 run (Dill kick)

N-Washington 47 pass from Brown (pass failed)

B-Huff 2 run (run failed)

B-Slater 16 run (run failed)

B-Slater 39 run (Huff pass from Sparks)

N-Brown 12 run (Brown run)

RECORDS: Bellevue 1-1, Newport 0-1.