Did the Appalachan News Express go to far???

davhamer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans and the media both should just watch and enjoy.If you want to talk about your opinions and name names, do it dicreetly among friends.Fans and media have way too much influence on sports now, with fans voting on all stars in most sports and media polls deciding champions.Just the facts baby,that would be refreshing.It would also be nice if all apects of the games were talked about, not just offense! tell us about tackle leaders too!

Fans and the media both should just watch and enjoy.If you want to talk about your opinions and name names, do it dicreetly among friends.Fans and media have way too much influence on sports now, with fans voting on all stars in most sports and media polls deciding champions.Just the facts baby,that would be refreshing.It would also be nice if all apects of the games were talked about, not just offense! tell us about tackle leaders too!

:thumb:

Who cares about an on line poll? The question they asked is no different than what we get on here and do all day long so get over it. If you haven't figured it out yet, newspapers love controversy and the people complaining about it fell right into the trap again. The News Express has always figured out ways to ruffle the feathers of PHS and this will be no different. They will get over it and fork out that 75 cents to buy the next one on Wednesday. And I would say Coach Jackson could care less because something tells me he had bigger stuff on his mind Friday that an online poll on the internet that maybe 10 people read!!!!!!!

The web site is controlled by the business side of the paper, not news side. I have no control over it at all and have no say in what's placed in the poll segment. I don't even have access to it to place breaking news on the site.

By the time I got to the office at 4 p.m. Friday, the poll in question had long since been removed.

We agree: the wrong decision was made in placing that poll on the web site. On behalf of the Appalachian News-Express, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by that decision.

:thumb: Good enough for me. That should put an end to this topic.

Exactly, that is the Coaches decision and nobody elses.

Thats crazy that any sports editor would let that be printed. :confused:

It was a decision made without the consultation of anyone in the news/editorial department, as was already stated earlier in the thread.

IMO, it was in bad taste. That said, "children" having their feelings hurt is a part of life. These are young men who know by now how the world works.

The important thing is to win the game as a team. It has to be tuff on Huffman, it being his senior year, but he is a very good athlete and still needs to play well to help his team win. Football is a TEAM sport.

I guarantee you if the williamson paper or the news express ever done this to one of Haywoods players he would be IRATE!!!!!!!How would you like it if the paper had a poll on how you do youre job and if someone else should do it for you. Wouldnt like that too much would you.

The web site is controlled by the business side of the paper, not news side. I have no control over it at all and have no say in what's placed in the poll segment. I don't even have access to it to place breaking news on the site.

By the time I got to the office at 4 p.m. Friday, the poll in question had long since been removed.

We agree: the wrong decision was made in placing that poll on the web site. On behalf of the Appalachian News-Express, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by that decision.

Im not aiming this at you or anything. If you are who I think you are, youre always pretty fair to all the teams in the county. But,with that said there has always been a little bit of anti-pikeville sentiments at that paper. Its not as bad as it used to be but its still there IMO.

Apparently yesterday the App News Express(the Pikeville newspaper) ran an online poll on there website asking

"Who should be the Pikeville starting quarterback?

then went on to allow readers to vote for the two QB's BY NAME.

Did the Appalachan News Express go to far???

Absolutely. Very poor decision!! :mad:

It was a decision made without the consultation of anyone in the news/editorial department, as was already stated earlier in the thread.

Wasn't aiming it at you, didn't even know you had anything to do with it, just thought all things were edited for content before printed.

Wasn't aiming it at you, didn't even know you had anything to do with it, just thought all things were edited for content before printed.

I didn't, I was just pointing out what Tom already said. And in the newspaper business, it's wishful thinking that everything gets edited before seeing print or the Web site. Sadly, the business department has far too much power at most newspapers.

basically, our very own local newspaper tried to drive a wedge between the community/team by doing this.

Wow... why can't it be a simple, non-thought out mistake by the business side of the paper as explained by TSH? Instead of a complex scheme to divide the community and Pikeville High School?

Do you have any pictures of the other shooter on the grassy knoll that shot JFK?