Reds' Cueto gets 7-game suspension

Again, screaming does not put someone on the DL.

I agree with the suspension, it seems fair if not a little less then it should but I also think Larue isn't hurt as bad as they are saying. The cardinals knew the suspension would be more if someone was on the DL. Well played by them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the suspension, it seems fair if not a little less then it should but I also think Larue isn't hurt as bad as they are saying. The cardinals knew the suspension would be more if someone was on the DL. Well played by them.

So putting your back up catcher on the 15 day DL in an effort to Cueto 2 more games was all a part of the plan?

I am no doubt looking at the issue through my Reds fan goggles, but I wonder how Carpenter gets a free pass on game suspension. I'm not sure what he screamed at Dusty but whatever it was incited phase II of the riot.

The problem with suspending pitchers is there are so many ways around the punishment. Carpenter might have deserved a game, but how do you serve it? Does he sit out tonight, missing a game he was never going to play in anyway? Do you give him a five game suspension, in essence forcing a missed start? You can't do that - he didn't do anything worthy of being suspended for that long. So they are sort of hung out and can't do anything.

Last I checked, Phillips or Molina didnt make contact with a player that put them on the DL.

The player that was so hurt seconds after the incident he was standing on the ring around the pile looking to get back involved? Or the one bouncing around fully healthy after the Molina HR? Maybe it was the guy on kiss cam getting one planted on him by Carpenter? Better yet, was it the guy out in the pen warming up relief pitchers later in the game? All also known as Jason LaRue after he was so severly injured by Cueto. What a joke...

The Cardinals played it up by saying Larue had "signs" of a concussion, lacerations to his face and so forth, those comments alone did enough damage to get Cueto suspended.

Hopefully the Reds can take care of business against Florida, hold their own on the long road trip and walk into St. Louis for a little bit of payback.