What are some possible concessions?

50inarow

Since most of the "public school admin’s" do not want to talk about compromise, I thought we here on BGP could offer some "concessions" that might help avert this travesty.

1. Defined feeder system – it would have to go both ways.

2. 20 mile radius – if the feeder system is in place, this would not be needed.

3. Financial aide = not eligible. This would be acceptable to private schools.

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would propose the ultimate concession ... enrollment caps on single-sex private schools. Much of the edge that Trinity and St. Xavier have on the rest of the state is sheer numbers. Slice both schools in half and a good part of the "problem" is solved.

I would propose the ultimate concession ... enrollment caps on single-sex private schools. Much of the edge that Trinity and St. Xavier have on the rest of the state is sheer numbers. Slice both schools in half and a good part of the "problem" is solved.

Ohhhh....that ain't happenin'....that would undermine the whole mission of the school, and the ability and NEED for the school to grow. The ONLY sport that this affects (enrollment) is football. No way. Nu-uh...Enrollment caps would have a huge affect on too many other factors, not the least of which is academic growth.

That isn't going to happen unless someone puts up millions of bucks and builds a Catholic all-boys school halfway between Trinity and St. X. Then if you could somehow convince 400-450 students from each school to enroll, you would have three 4A schools. Somehow I still don't think that would solve everything.

Since most of the "public school admin’s" do not want to talk about compromise, I thought we here on BGP could offer some "concessions" that might help avert this travesty.

1. Defined feeder system – it would have to go both ways.

2. 20 mile radius – if the feeder system is in place, this would not be needed.

3. Financial aide = not eligible. This would be acceptable to private schools.

Any other suggestions?

Concerning feeder systems...........everyone seems stuck on the concept of students enrolled in feeder schools and not on students belonging to a feeder parish. Big difference there.

Plus feeder system would be impossible to define for some private schools. Either they do not have a defined feeder system or there are no other private schools around so their feeder system could be very large.

Financial aid = not eligible is not even worth discussing. Remember there are various types of aid besides tuition assistance. Some schools offer a discount on the second or third or fourth child in the private school.

If you did this then some kid that is at the school for academic purposes only maybe moved out of the school and a more athletic kid is enrolled.

How would the 20 mile radius work in this situation? I live within the 20 mile radius of Bishop Brossart but not Newport Central Catholic and I want to play football. Brossart doesn't offer football. What do I do?

Enroll at Highlands :D

Actually what do you do if you want to go to an All-Boys or All/Girls school, what if you want to go to a school that has a Swim Team, what if you want to skip two grades and attend an Academically enhanced school, what if you want to go to a school that is 1 mile from where your parents work but 25 miles from your house.

That's the problem with X number of miles limitations.

If you did this then some kid that is at the school for academic purposes only maybe moved out of the school and a more athletic kid is enrolled.

:confused: Not if the School is more concerned with Academics than athletics.

After all is academics not why we send our kids to school in the first place..... athletics should always come second IMO.

:confused: Not if the School is more concerned with Academics than athletics.

After all is academics not why we send our kids to school in the first place..... athletics should always come second IMO.

I'm confused. Academically, Trinity, X, Assumption, Sacred Heart and numerous others rank right up there with the best. They have low student:teacher ratio, they have updated their classroom facilities. Trinity and Assumption have added classroom space, are on the leading edge in technologically enhanced classrooms, and Trinity reportedly has the largest number of labs in the state. How would splitting them in half enhance their facilities or academics?