Does This Sound Racist?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like he's saying that his definition of average, good American people does not include minorities. Did he mean to say it that way? I don't know, I would surely hope not. I am curious to see if Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will be demanding an apology but I won't hold my breath.

Sounds like he's saying that his definition of average, good American people does not include minorities. Did he mean to say it that way? I don't know, I would surely hope not. I am curious to see if Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will be demanding an apology but I won't hold my breath.

That's not how I took it at all. It didn't even cross my mind. Taking in what he said and his body language as he said it, he is saying that the bill is not designed to target minorities. I assume (as he looks around and seems to be pointing particular comments at others) that some are insinuating that the bill is focused on minorities.

That's why I hate these little snippets that some sites and people use to "prove" that someone thinks one way or means something that they don't.

Not to me...who is saying that it does?
Some others on other sites and I'm not sure if it doesn't come across that way myself. The part in question is in bold.

We’re giving relief to people that I deal with in my office every day now unfortunately. But because of the longevity of this recession, these are people — and they’re not minorities and they’re not defective and they’re not all the things you’d like to insinuate that these programs are about — these are average, good American people.

Are minorities not average good American people?

Poor wording? Perhaps.

Some others on other sites and I'm not sure if it doesn't come across that way myself. The part in question is in bold.

We’re giving relief to people that I deal with in my office every day now unfortunately. But because of the longevity of this recession, these are people — and they’re not minorities and they’re not defective and they’re not all the things you’d like to insinuate that these programs are about — these are average, good American people.

Are minorities not average good American people?

Poor wording? Perhaps.

Nope. Lack of context. See my previous post.

It all depends upon the good gentleman's intentions and past voting record. Is he fighting to give minorities the benefits he and his colleagues believe they need from Washington? If so, it doesn't matter what he says or how he says it. You're only a racist if you do not support liberal policies. Don't you know that by now?

That's not how I took it at all. It didn't even cross my mind. Taking in what he said and his body language as he said it, he is saying that the bill is not designed to target minorities. I assume (as he looks around and seems to be pointing particular comments at others) that some are insinuating that the bill is focused on minorities.

That's why I hate these little snippets that some sites and people use to "prove" that someone thinks one way or means something that they don't.

This

I think that it is quite obvious what he was saying and that is that jobless benefits bills don't target a particular group, it is for everybody. I think there were implied "or"s all through his statement.

RTS - yes it is racist remark.

As a proud Democrat what he says makes me sick. Because he did say Average Working Americans are not minorities. He is saying if you crossed the boarder you are not a hard working American.

I know someone who crossed the board illegal. Took the proper steps to make it right and is in the process of becoming an American citizen. He works tis tale off every day because he is proud to be an American citizen.

So yes, what he said is a racist remark. I hope that isn't what he meant to say.

Edited by CoachBuckett

If I were black my ears would have perked up.

Not knowing the guy I'll say it was probably a poor use of words.

Its like saying "its not for Ft Thomas people. Its for smart, hard-working people."

That could be construed differently.My guess is Ft T people would hear it differently than Erlanger folks.