Does This Sound Racist?

Let me ask another way. If it were a Republican that said this (word for word) would Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton be demanding an apology?

Would it be getting more media play?

I have no idea. That's not the way it played out.

Much as some of us love to fantasize about the what MIGHT have happened, it's simply idle speculation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask another way. If it were a Republican that said this (word for word) would Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton be demanding an apology?

Would it be getting more media play?

I am a black guy and I am trying to figure out when Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton got their credibility back. What is this 1988 or something? Really? You are worried about Jackson and Sharpton and what they say?:lol:

You get a "come on, son" for that.

Also, when you take the time to break down what he said and how he said it, I see how it can come off as racist but I think he misspoke what he was trying to say. Truth be told, when people are talking about welfare recipients they are usually referring to those recipients as minorities, lower class citizens, etc. and he was trying to say that in this particular situation that isn't the case. Unless he was talking in code.

I am a black guy and I am trying to figure out when Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton got their credibility back. What is this 1988 or something? Really? You are worried about Jackson and Sharpton and what they say?:lol:

You get a "come on, son" for that.

Also, when you take the time to break down what he said and how he said it, I see how it can come off as racist but I think he misspoke what he was trying to say. Truth be told, when people are talking about welfare recipients they are usually referring to those recipients as minorities, lower class citizens, etc. and he was trying to say that in this particular situation that isn't the case. Unless he was talking in code.

I never said they ever had credibility nor am I worried about what they say. I just feel if it was a Republican that said the exact thing, it'd be "bigger" news.

I was under the impression that there were more white people on welfare than minorities. Am I wrong with that assumption?

I never said they ever had credibility nor am I worried about what they say. I just feel if it was a Republican that said the exact thing, it'd be "bigger" news.

I was under the impression that there were more white people on welfare than minorities. Am I wrong with that assumption?

No. However, when you mention "welfare" to the average white person a minority is who they picture.

You've also characterized people "on the dole" as lazy, shiftless and lacking in the will to do an honest days work.

That's true, but you don't have to try with his comment. They sort of come across that way, intended or not.

Not to everyone. Again, aren't you curious what was discussed prior to this comment? That's the problem with those one-sided political sites. They only show you the portion that riles you up or "proves" their point.

If you claim I said all people "on the dole" are lazy, shiftless and lacking in the will to do an honest days work, then yes. If not, then no.

I forgot...I'm talking the the "perfect one". The one who never uses hyperbole or exaggerates. My bad.