May 11, 201016 yr I will simply say getting the right coach is a lot easier when you have a BCS spot at the table. You can still screw it up big time like UL did with Krags, but there is no doubt the hiring process is much easier than at a CUSA type program. Much like UC and UL, Memphis and UCF are one right hire away from tapping into a local/regional pipeline and making an impact. Again we are talking about replacing only Rutgers here, and they have been good but far from great since the ACC raid of the BE. Money talks, and the Big East provides major markets already so expanding to one more team to replace Rutgers is a very minor deal. If that's how this plays out, the conference will be fine. That's all I'm saying... I can see all of your points. I have just already accepted the fact that Super Conferences are coming, and the Big dogs of the Big East are either going to have to join the ship or get left behind IMO. In the grand scheme of things I don't think anyone they will add will make that big of a difference.
May 11, 201016 yr Ive heard that if they all accept that Vandy could be the target for a 16 school. Would the Big East go after Maryland?
May 11, 201016 yr Once the dust settles, I am interested to see how the SEC will look. I have heard some scuttlebutt they would invade the ACC and look to take in Miami & Florida State.
May 11, 201016 yr Once the dust settles, I am interested to see how the SEC will look. I have heard some scuttlebutt they would invade the ACC and look to take in Miami & Florida State. I can't see Miami going. They just don't make the revenue that the big SEC powers make. Even in a good year at the U they do well to sell out their games. I can't see FSU leaving without them. I think the SEC expansion could end up coming from the Big 12. I would try everything to go Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and OK. State, since the Big 12 seems to be breaking up.
May 11, 201016 yr I can't see Miami going. They just don't make the revenue that the big SEC powers make. Even in a good year at the U they do well to sell out their games. I can't see FSU leaving without them. I think the SEC expansion could end up coming from the Big 12. I would try everything to go Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and OK. State, since the Big 12 seems to be breaking up. I bet they would be selling out if Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and Tennessee were coming to town each season instead of Maryland, Wake Forest, and Duke. I went to the U to see them play Virginia Tech on a Thursday night prime time game and it was only 60% full.
May 11, 201016 yr I can't see Miami going. They just don't make the revenue that the big SEC powers make. Even in a good year at the U they do well to sell out their games. I can't see FSU leaving without them. I think the SEC expansion could end up coming from the Big 12. I would try everything to go Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and OK. State, since the Big 12 seems to be breaking up. http://sportales.com/football/college-football-super-conference/ http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Expansion-and-the-superconference-A-very-long?urn=ncaaf,235200
May 11, 201016 yr I just don't see Rutgers fitting in with the Big 10 crowd. Also, what would it take for the Big 10 to just change it's name to something else like the Mid North Conference? Or really anything else lol.
May 11, 201016 yr I just don't see Rutgers fitting in with the Big 10 crowd. Also, what would it take for the Big 10 to just change it's name to something else like the Mid North Conference? Or really anything else lol. Rutgers fits in because they are a state school and bring a lot of alumni and at a big school. The name does seem silly. It is all about branding and marketing so I assume the name will not change.
May 11, 201016 yr I bet they would be selling out if Florida, Florida State, Georgia, and Tennessee were coming to town each season instead of Maryland, Wake Forest, and Duke. I went to the U to see them play Virginia Tech on a Thursday night prime time game and it was only 60% full. If they can't sell out for VT they're not going to sell out for anyone besides FSU or UF. Miami has the most pathetic fan base in major college football. You can get season tickets in one of the end zones this year for less than 250 bucks I believe, and they're not that hard to get. I'd love to see Miami in the SEC, but I just don't think it's going to be a realistic possibility. The higher ups at Miami like the ACC because it is an Academic conference as well as a good athletic one. The SEC is many things, but I don't think it compares academically to the ACC outside of Vandy.
May 11, 201016 yr They are saying Nebraska is denying these rumors saying they haven't been offered. Apparently the Big 11 is still working on it, but will ask these teams at a later date, not just yet though.
May 11, 201016 yr An espn article mentioned the SEC targeting Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Texas A & M. So that could make for some really intense football and baseketball. The espn article was really interesting talking about four mega-conferences being left when the dust settled. Basically the Big East and Big 12 get torn apart. UL and UC were nowhere to be found. Could end up in the Horizon league or back to Conference USA.
May 11, 201016 yr UC is in a bad spot with this mega conference talk. Their attendance is down in basketball and while football is clearly on the rise on the field and in the stands, the football stadium is not on par with the teams at the core of these mega conferences. Ironically, the thing IMO that may help UC is the academics. If there truly is an academic/research angle in this for the Big 11, then UC has a lot to offer. Of course, Ohio State might squash any potential UC talk before they ever consider that.
May 11, 201016 yr Author UC is in a better position than some think, but they are no doubt on the bubble of all this. The Big 11 isn't going to come knocking, but when things really start to shake up (if that is the way this goes) they are the only other BCS school in a large Ohio market so there is quite a bit of value. There should be a home for them in the Big 12 or ACC depending on where the chips fall...
May 11, 201016 yr UC is in a better position than some think, but they are no doubt on the bubble of all this. The Big 11 isn't going to come knocking, but when things really start to shake up (if that is the way this goes) they are the only other BCS school in a large Ohio market so there is quite a bit of value. There should be a home for them in the Big 12 or ACC depending on where the chips fall... The ACC would be fun and in some ways, I like it better than the Big East. If that is where UC ends up it may be the silver lining in this current cloud of doubt.
May 11, 201016 yr UC is in a better position than some think, but they are no doubt on the bubble of all this. The Big 11 isn't going to come knocking, but when things really start to shake up (if that is the way this goes) they are the only other BCS school in a large Ohio market so there is quite a bit of value. There should be a home for them in the Big 12 or ACC depending on where the chips fall...What about U of L? They seem to really be the one left on the outside if things get moving.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.