May 11, 201016 yr What about U of L? They seem to really be the one left on the outside if things get moving. A lot of things set that one up... Louisville is an urban university in a metropolitan area not big enough for big schools to care about the media outlets and the football program took three massive steps back when Petrino bolted for the NFL. Louisville's best option now is to make sure what's left of Big East football can hold together in the future. I think that's something that can be done as the conference wouldn't be losing a powerhouse in Rutgers like it would if Pitt left or even a team with the historical and geographic importance of Syracuse.
May 12, 201016 yr What about U of L? They seem to really be the one left on the outside if things get moving. The thing UofL has on their side is the most profitable basketball program in the country, and a large fan base. They'll be fine IMO.
May 12, 201016 yr Author The thing UofL has on their side is the most profitable basketball program in the country, and a large fan base. They'll be fine IMO. Football and TV market is driving this bus, so it still leaves UL in a bit of a tough spot. I think they should be fine, but they are in a risky position...
May 12, 201016 yr Football and TV market is driving this bus, so it still leaves UL in a bit of a tough spot. I think they should be fine, but they are in a risky position... Yeah, the Krag era set them back in that department. I'd say UC and UofL are in similar markets aren't they? I just think at the end of the day, they are attractive programs. I keep hearing the tier 3 thing is a big problem for the Cards. Probably best case to save football is Big ten takes only Rutgers, then I think the Big East is safe. Probably be an upgrade in hoops...
May 12, 201016 yr If they can't sell out for VT they're not going to sell out for anyone besides FSU or UF. Miami has the most pathetic fan base in major college football. You can get season tickets in one of the end zones this year for less than 250 bucks I believe, and they're not that hard to get. I'd love to see Miami in the SEC, but I just don't think it's going to be a realistic possibility. The higher ups at Miami like the ACC because it is an Academic conference as well as a good athletic one. The SEC is many things, but I don't think it compares academically to the ACC outside of Vandy. Back in 2000 I paid $99 a pair for season tickets in the West EZ. Pretty good investment since I got to see wide rightIII.
May 12, 201016 yr Notre Dame is closer to joining this conference then most think. I would love to see Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Notre Dame all in the same conference.
June 2, 201016 yr They are a major conference with a big time ESPN deal. Bringing in one of those schools to replace Rutgers isn't going to change their status. If it is Memphis or UCF it would elevate them to BCS status, and as we have seen with UC and USF, that is a huge boost when you are already located in a recruiting hot spot. If Rutgers is all the league has to replace, very little will change... I think you are dead-on with this point. Memphis is at a disadvantage recruiting against Mississippi and UT due to their BCS status. This would change that dramtically.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.