Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Big 11 Invites Rutgers, Mizzou, Nebraska and Notre Dame

Featured Replies

Rutgers would be easy to replace...

 

Football wise? They've become a respectable program the last few years. I'm not disagreeing, I just can't think of anyone who would be able to replace them, maybe ECU I guess.

  • Replies 51
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like for UofL, USF, WVA and UC to head over to the ACC. I think that would be a good fit for all four teams.

 

Do those schools have the academic requirements to get into the ACC?

  • Author
Football wise? They've become a respectable program the last few years. I'm not disagreeing, I just can't think of anyone who would be able to replace them, maybe ECU I guess.

 

ECU, UCF and Memphis would top the list if they go outside of the BCS grid to replace them...

ECU, UCF and Memphis would top the list if they go outside of the BCS grid to replace them...

 

I don't see how that helps their cause for remaining BCS. UCF and Memphis are about as irrelevant as you can get football wise. Memphis would be a nice addition for basketball though. I think Cincy, WVU, U of L, and USF need to go to the ACC if they can get in....ASAP.

  • Author
I don't see how that helps their cause for remaining BCS. UCF and Memphis are about as irrelevant as you can get football wise. Memphis would be a nice addition for basketball though. I think Cincy, WVU, U of L, and USF need to go to the ACC if they can get in....ASAP.

They are a major conference with a big time ESPN deal. Bringing in one of those schools to replace Rutgers isn't going to change their status. If it is Memphis or UCF it would elevate them to BCS status, and as we have seen with UC and USF, that is a huge boost when you are already located in a recruiting hot spot. If Rutgers is all the league has to replace, very little will change...

They are a major conference with a big time ESPN deal. Bringing in one of those schools to replace Rutgers isn't going to change their status. If it is Memphis or UCF it would elevate them to BCS status, and as we have seen with UC and USF, that is a huge boost when you are already located in a recruiting hot spot. If Rutgers is all the league has to replace, very little will change...

 

But the Big East has such a terrible reputation for football right now. Their BCS is questioned by people now, let alone if they have to add UCF and Memphis. Recruiting hotbed or not those teams are far behind the likes of WVU, UC and the other Big East teams, let alone most of the BCS. I'm skeptical. I don't see how the Big East makes it through the conference expansions, at least as a major football conference.

  • Author
But the Big East has such a terrible reputation for football right now. Their BCS is questioned by people now, let alone if they have to add UCF and Memphis. Recruiting hotbed or not those teams are far behind the likes of WVU, UC and the other Big East teams, let alone most of the BCS. I'm skeptical. I don't see how the Big East makes it through the conference expansions, at least as a major football conference.

You might have a point if public perception was relevant to the discussion. When it comes to the BCS money talks, and the Big East is still the best fit to fill the final BCS spot because of the markets they provide. IF Rutgers is all they lose, it will not be an issue. That's far from a sure thing as what the Big 11 does is just the first domino to fall as this all plays out...

You might have a point if public perception was relevant to the discussion. When it comes to the BCS money talks, and the Big East is still the best fit to fill the final BCS spot because of the markets they provide. IF Rutgers is all they lose, it will not be an issue. That's far from a sure thing as what the Big 11 does is just the first domino to fall as this all plays out...

 

But, they don't make as much money for the BCS as other teams would I don't think in a new alignment. The Sugar Bowl hasn't made that much money the last few years compared to the other bowls has it? With 4 or 5 Super conferences the 5 BCS games would be better suited to go with the Champs and a bunch of at large teams IMO rather than always giving an automatic bid to a conference without much competition. Cincy, WVU, U of L could still get there but I don't see how the Big East can justify being better than the MWC if their teams don't leave and/or they add someone like Boise State.

Seems to me that from the standpoint of Mizzou and Nebraska, moving to the Big 10 would be a bit of a downgrade in basketball and football.

  • Author
But, they don't make as much money for the BCS as other teams would I don't think in a new alignment. The Orange Bowl hasn't made that much money the last few years has it? With 4 or 5 Super conferences the 5 BCS games would be better suited to go with the Champs and a bunch of at large teams IMO rather than always giving an automatic bid to a conference without much competition. Cincy, WVU, U of L could still get there but I don't see how the Big East can justify being better than the MWC if their teams don't leave and/or they add someone like Boise State.

 

You make valid points, but as I said public perception isn't a consideration in the BCS cash grab.

 

The Orange Bowl is locked into the ACC with zero ties to the Big East, so not sure what point you are making there.

 

Once the Big 11 makes a move, there are going to be reactionary moves made by the Big 12 and SEC for sure, and the ACC/Pac 10 depending on how those moves play out. Still a LOT of chips left on the table before this massive shift is finished and predicting what will happen is near impossible.

 

I will say remember 2 of the 3 teams you mentioned as the major factors in BE football made a huge jump once they were tied to the BCS, so thinking schools like UCF and Memphis couldn't do the same is awful short sided...

  • Author
Seems to me that from the standpoint of Mizzou and Nebraska, moving to the Big 10 would be a bit of a downgrade in basketball and football.

 

It's a HUGE upgrade in revenue. Let's not pretend what is going on is actually tied to on field results...

Seems to me that from the standpoint of Mizzou and Nebraska, moving to the Big 10 would be a bit of a downgrade in basketball and football.

 

Who else in the Big 12 is any good in football besides Texas and Oklahoma and maybe Tech over the Leach years? I think a potential conference headlined by Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Nebraska matches up pretty well with almost any conference. Not to mention teams like Missou and Iowa.

You make valid points, but as I said public perception isn't a consideration in the BCS cash grab.

 

The Orange Bowl is locked into the ACC with zero ties to the Big East, so not sure what point you are making there.

 

Once the Big 11 makes a move, there are going to be reactionary moves made by the Big 12 and SEC for sure, and the ACC/Pac 10 depending on how those moves play out. Still a LOT of chips left on the table before this massive shift is finished and predicting what will happen is near impossible.

 

I will say remember 2 of the 3 teams you mentioned as the major factors in BE football made a huge jump once they were tied to the BCS, so thinking schools like UCF and Memphis couldn't do the same is awful short sided...

 

I previously mentioned the Orange Bowl, and changed to the Sugar Bowl. I forgot they had no automatic tie-ins. My mistake.:thumb:

 

As for being short-sided, I think you have to be. U of L and UC were extremely lucky to have run into very good coaches. Memphis is in great recruiting ground, but they have done nothing with it. Maybe the BE would help with that but I doubt it, it's just not a football school and finding a Petrino or BK is hard to do. As for UCF, they are in the best recruiting ground in America IMO, but that won't make much of a difference. Between the Florida Big 3 and everyone east of Texas having their hands in South Florida I don't see how they make much of an impact. The guys that are going to fall through the cracks will trifle down to places like U of L because of Strong, and even Marshall because of Doc Holliday IMO.

 

I guess I can buy Memphis, but UCF I can not. Either way, with the Super Conferences the BE is going to look like a Mid-Major conference and there is no way around that. I think UC, U of L, WVU and USF will have a chance to leave and they may or may not take it. But I just can't see the BCS keeping them as an automatic qualifying conference with 7 or 8 or even 9 teams in the conference. I just don't see the justification in that.:idunno:

  • Author

I will simply say getting the right coach is a lot easier when you have a BCS spot at the table. You can still screw it up big time like UL did with Krags, but there is no doubt the hiring process is much easier than at a CUSA type program. Much like UC and UL, Memphis and UCF are one right hire away from tapping into a local/regional pipeline and making an impact. Again we are talking about replacing only Rutgers here, and they have been good but far from great since the ACC raid of the BE.

 

Money talks, and the Big East provides major markets already so expanding to one more team to replace Rutgers is a very minor deal. If that's how this plays out, the conference will be fine. That's all I'm saying...

Seems to me that from the standpoint of Mizzou and Nebraska, moving to the Big 10 would be a bit of a downgrade in basketball and football.

 

That would be offset by an additional $7M+.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.