Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Look at Cornell's Offense

Featured Replies

I watched most of Cornell's two games last night to see if I could figure out their offense a little. Here's what I've concluded - they're pretty darn good. They are like a well-oiled machine.

 

If you're into the details of basketball, you may enjoy this:

 

http://www.allkyhoops.com

 

I did those diagrams in Microsoft Paint, so I know they aren't perfect :lol:

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Wireman. That is good stuff. I guess we shall see come Thursday night.

Good work, WM. Maybe Cal could hire you to scout future opponents? :lol: :thumb:

  • Author
Good work, WM. Maybe Cal could hire you to scout future opponents? :lol: :thumb:

 

I'd take that job :ylsuper:

Interesting offense. It's almost like a hybrid of your typical motion offense with a few flex cuts.

 

Kentucky struggled some against Wake Forest against the flex offense.

 

Cornell's cutters may get open, but I think they will struggle. Kentucky has so many athletes & we will be blocking shots at the rim if the cutter gets the ball and tries to score.

This will be a team unlike what UK has faced. On the flip side, Cornell has faced 2 teams that are not nearly as big and quick as the Cats. Should make for a very interesting game.

 

I wonder how much the writers at The Bleacher Report have watched Kentucky play? Check out this quote:

 

Key Offensive matchup: Jon Jaques vs. Patrick Patterson - We all know the offense runs through Ryan Wittman and Louis Dale, but neither of them are the X-Factor on the offensive side of the ball. Jon Jaques gives up height and strength to Patrick Patteron. The thing that Jaques has the Patterson does not is range. If Jaques can get out on the perimeter and hit his mid-range shots, the paint will be more of an opening for a drive or feed to Jeff Foote. This matchup could pose problems for Kentucky if it is executed well by Cornell.

 

Cornell is going to pose matchup problems against Patterson, who admittedly is bigger & stronger? They hype up Jaques' mid-range game compared to Patterson's? Seriously?

 

I've never seen Jaques play, but chances are I'd take Patterson over him any day of the week.

 

Good article that states the obvious and the well-thought-out. :thumb:

 

My only beef is how many of these article writers continue to refer to Kentucky as KU.

 

I have known since the 70-'s that:

 

KU is Kansas

UK is Kentucky

IU is Indiana

UL is Louisville

 

But it seems too often Kentucky is abbreviated to KU.

 

Yet I don't recall Indiana ever referred to as UI or Kansas as UK. I guess I'm just another paranoid fan. :lol:

 

(Remember, it's not paranoia if they REALLY ARE out to get you! :eek:)

Good article that states the obvious and the well-thought-out. :thumb:

 

My only beef is how many of these article writers continue to refer to Kentucky as KU.

 

I have known since the 70-'s that:

 

KU is Kansas

UK is Kentucky

IU is Indiana

UL is Louisville

 

But it seems too often Kentucky is abbreviated to KU.

 

Yet I don't recall Indiana ever referred to as UI or Kansas as UK. I guess I'm just another paranoid fan. :lol:

 

(Remember, it's not paranoia if they REALLY ARE out to get you! :eek:)

 

It drove me crazy too, I dont think the girl knows much about UK. Some of her theories are unlikely

It drove me crazy too, I dont think the girl knows much about UK. Some of her theories are unlikely

 

What is often forgotten is that KY has also won low scoring games. They have developed into a descent half court offense but an even better half court defense IMO.

 

The key, as I see it, will be UK's length and athleticism imposing their will on the Cornell offense. If they swarm like they did last weekend, I don't see Cornell getting as many good looks inside or outside.

What is often forgotten is that KY has also won low scoring games. They have developed into a descent half court offense but an even better half court defense IMO.

 

The key, as I see it, will be UK's length and athleticism imposing their will on the Cornell offense. If they swarm like they did last weekend, I don't see Cornell getting as many good looks inside or outside.

 

I agree. Kentucky can win slower paced games. Their dominant frontcourt is a big reason for that.

 

To me, the Cornell game comes down to UK's defensive effort. If UK plays to its ability on that end, they'll win the game. The extra time should help them prepare for the Big Red offense. Not so much practicing against it...they won't be able to replicate it in practice, but they should be able to understand what to look for and how and what to focus on. :idunno:

 

On the flipside, I don't think anything can prepare Cornell for UK's size and athleticism.

I just feel like Kentucky can score almost every time down the court by feeding it down low. They're so much bigger and faster than Cornell. They can shoot 40% from 3 and I still think the Cats win this game just by pure size and talent advantage.

I just feel like Kentucky can score almost every time down the court by feeding it down low. They're so much bigger and faster than Cornell. They can shoot 40% from 3 and I still think the Cats win this game just by pure size and talent advantage.

 

Cornell has a big guy named Jeff Foote who is about 7' & 260.

 

He has certainly received a lot of hype lately. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to stay out of foul trouble against Boogie, Orton & Patterson.

Cornell has a big guy named Jeff Foote who is about 7' & 260.

 

He has certainly received a lot of hype lately. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to stay out of foul trouble against Boogie, Orton & Patterson.

 

I watched him against Wisconsin and I wasn't impressed. I just remember saying "Wow, Demarcus is gonna work that kid."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.