March 1, 201016 yr I have been thinking about this the past couple days and I was wondering what you guys thought. If you had to pick the team most likely to win, if these two played who would it be? And why you think that! Edited March 1, 201016 yr by THESportsANIMAL
March 1, 201016 yr If it came down to the National Title and it was between these two teams, I would take Kentucky. Now, if they were in the same conference, same teams but simply were not highly regarded, I would take Kansas.
March 1, 201016 yr IT depends on which team shows up. UK hasn't been very consistant as of late. If they bring their A game I'd say they win. If they don't then its definitely Kansas.
March 1, 201016 yr Kansas if we continue to shoot the way we have been. We have to shoot much, much better to beat the Jayhawks.
March 1, 201016 yr Kansas if we continue to shoot the way we have been. We have to shoot much, much better to beat the Jayhawks. Actually I thought of that as soon as I posted. If we shoot above 30% from behind the arc then I'd say we win. Anything less than that and it shouldn't be close.
March 1, 201016 yr If these two teams played ten games, then I think Kentucky would win six of those. So with those odds, if they played just once, I would take Kentucky. Although I don't like the way the Cats would matchup with a team like Syracuse, I like our chances against Kansas. Don't get me wrong, Kansas is a very deeply, talented and experienced team. BUT, they haven't overly impressed me this year, the same way I am sure Kentucky has not overly impressed a lot of people. Kansas has been in just as many close games as Kentucky, if not more. Seems like almost every time they play the only win by single digits, and it appears the game is not secure until the end. In otherwords its not like they have been blowing everybody out, in fact its been about the exact opposite. However, you could chalk that up to the parity in college basketball at the moment. Looking inside the match-up, I think Cousins, as long as hes not in foul trouble, owns Aldrich inside. Now thats saying a lot given Cole's defensive abilities, but Boogie is just way too talented on the inside, and would give Aldrich all he could handle. Since Aldrich would have his hands full with Cousins, I think the biggest X factor would be Pat. I think Pat easily owns Morris, and would more than likely put in close to twenty points in the matchup. Then it gets interesting. Xavier Henry is clearly more talented than anybody we would have to matchup with him, but the same inexperience knock on a lot of our players could knock him. If he plays like hes capable he could hit a lot of outside shots and be the catalyst to the Jayhawk offense and a Jayhawk win. However, if he is held in check, or commits freshman mistakes, then the game would play a lot more into Kentucky's favor. I think a strong dose of DeAndre Liggins, mixed with some Darius Miller (on a good day, like Sat. UT game) could equal out Henry, unless of course he broke out and has one of those monster games he is capable of having. Unless Bledsoe picks it up, he will hurt Kentucky. He has been hurting us the past few games, and just seems to get worst. His defense has been horrendous, and his decision making with the ball has been even worst. So many times he just puts his head down and drives as hard as he can, often ending up in no mans land with no shot, and no where to go with the ball. He is so much more effective when he just sits back and lets the game come to him, much like he did earlier in the year, right around the end of non conference play. Even if Bledsoe does improve, my confidence just isn't with him at the present, I feel Tyshawn Taylor, Morningstar, or whoever would get the best of that matchup. So here comes the main event, supreme talent against top notch talent/experience. Sherron Collins has been there, he has done that. He is capable of knocking down the outside shot, he is capable of taking it to the hole. He is capable of getting his teammates involved, but most of all capable of winning. Wall is the type of player that comes around only once in a little while. A rare blend of talent and athleticism. The type of player who redefines his position. However, what will he do when the spot light is really shining the brightest? So far in such instances he has came up huge, but will it continue? What kills me about Wall (honestly nothing really does, as I am so thankful as a UK fan to have him) is that sometimes he just tries to do too much, and ends up making poor decisions. Like the first half of the UT game, he just kept forcing things that weren't there. However, in the second half he basically took over the game and almost single handidly got Kentucky back in the mix. Then, when it mattered the most he tried to drive into the lane with three orange shirts in the way, got trapped with no where to go, barely got the ball to Cuz, but was whistled with the charge. In another similar drive, he got the ball stripped from him, leading to the Hopson three I believe. Both plays were killers. When Wall decides to take over a game, and play within the flow of the game he is a monster. However, he too is the monster sometimes, so its a Dr. Jekyl/Mr Hyde type situation. So in this matchup it just depends on a lot of things, mainly who shows up with their finest game that day. Much like Derrick Rose back in 08', I look for Wall to shine, and I give the edge to Wall. The Kansas bench may go for more, but I think Kentucky gets a lot of production from DeAndre, Orton, and Harris on the defensive end. Then perhaps Dodson from the offensive end if he finds his stroke again. I love everything Liggins brings to this team, so he will play a very vital role in a UK win. IMO Kansas doesn't want to get into a peeing match with Kentucky, if they do, they will get beat. Kansas has the weapons to kill UK in a half court set, but if they try to run it and dominate UK like they try to do a lot of teams, it could come back to get them. So whoever controls the tempo wins the game, and I think it will be more running than Kansas wants, even though they are comfortable with running as well. I think its their confidence in getting into a running match with Kentucky that could come back to hurt them.
March 2, 201016 yr I would take UK, but with some hesitation. UK would have to shoot MUCH better from outside than they have been of late.
March 2, 201016 yr Kansas. Why? 1 - UK doesn't not have a consistent outside presence. 2 - Kansas has better experience. 3 - In a game setting, Self is a better Coach than Cal. (okay I'm ducking now).
March 2, 201016 yr Kansas. Why? 1 - UK doesn't not have a consistent outside presence. 2 - Kansas has better experience. 3 - In a game setting, Self is a better Coach than Cal. (okay I'm ducking now). Won't get much fight there. I think most tend to agree that Cal is not a great in-game coach... Just hope he is prepared before hand and that there isn't too much Self can throw at it.
March 2, 201016 yr If these two teams played ten games, then I think Kentucky would win six of those. I was actually about to post the opposite. I think if they played ten times Kansas would win 6 of them. Kansas can run with us, Kansas has size to match us, Kansas has a really good post defender and rebounder in Aldrich, and Kansas shoots better from the outside. Then the main thing they have experience, they have been there before, especially their point guard. It would definitely be a great game, and could go either way. I just think Kansas would be the one who would win 60% of the time if they played. The key for Kentucky IMO would be Cousins staying out of foul trouble and getting Aldrich in foul trouble IMO. Then also obviously having to make a few threes.
March 2, 201016 yr If it came down to the National Title and it was between these two teams, I would take Kentucky. Now, if they were in the same conference, same teams but simply were not highly regarded, I would take Kansas. I tend to lean towards KU in the championship game, they have more experience with tourney play, and their coach has won a title, I bet they're better FT shooters as well, though I am not certain, I'll look it up.
March 2, 201016 yr I tend to lean towards KU in the championship game, they have more experience with tourney play, and their coach has won a title, I bet they're better FT shooters as well, though I am not certain, I'll look it up. The majority of our foul shots come from Wall and Cousins. Statiscally, Wall is efficient enough to make progress at the line. 80% or so... Cousins had an awful first half, but is really starting to become efficient, outside of the first TN game.
March 2, 201016 yr Edge to KU: Big men to match up with UK inside Better shooting team from the outside More experience, especially at the guard position
March 2, 201016 yr If I was forced to bet on somebody it would be Kansas but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised either way.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.