February 16, 201016 yr Not to take anything away from the big guy, but is he protected by the refs, or what? I've watched Kansas play several times this year, including last night, and it seems like he gets his 3rd foul right after halftime every game. After that, he sits for a bit, comes back in and usually doesn't get another foul. Occasionally he will get a 4th, but never foul out. It just seems to me that he is protected and I don't understand that. Last night he could've fouled out, IMO, but of course he didn't. Am I just biased or what do you guys think?
February 16, 201016 yr I honestly think he is the most overrated player in America. :thumb: I honestly think you could take the worst big man at the worst NAIA school in America and put them in Kansas's starting lineup and the analysts would praise him along with the commentators. I dont think Cole Aldrich is any better of a big man than any big man on a team in the top 25. He just gets alot of praise because he has a Kansas jersey on.
February 16, 201016 yr I know I got tired of Bobby Knight talk about him like he was the greatest thing out there.
February 16, 201016 yr I know I got tired of Bobby Knight talk about him like he was the greatest thing out there. Knight Probably loves him because he reminds him of Kent Benson. :thumb:
February 16, 201016 yr It would be interesting to see Aldrich play Cousins to get a good feel on each of them. I think Cousins is one of the most agile big men that I've ever seen in college. He also has incredibly soft hands. He can't jump very well, but when you are 6'11" you only have to jump enough. Aldrich, from the limited times that I've seen him, seems to be less athletic, a little taller, and a lot more composed. I don't think that his skill set has anything on Cousins' w/ the exception of shooting from 15+.
February 16, 201016 yr I don't know where I land on the discussion of just how good he is, but I do believe that he gets away with a fair amount of fouls. He's a very physical player which usually leads to fouls, fouls that don't always seem to come his way. I'm reminded of Varnado in that way, another player that referees seem conditioned to not call fouls on.
February 16, 201016 yr I don't know where I land on the discussion of just how good he is, but I do believe that he gets away with a fair amount of fouls. He's a very physical player which usually leads to fouls, fouls that don't always seem to come his way. I'm reminded of Varnado in that way, another player that referees seem conditioned to not call fouls on. Never was that more evident than when he wasn't ejected last week when he blatantly punched an Ole Miss player in the head...
February 16, 201016 yr I honestly think he is the most overrated player in America. I agree, and I got blasted by a friend of mine saying I am just a "biased Kentucky fan." But from what I have seen of Aldrich, probably 15 games in his entire career, I have never been really impressed. The kids hustles but as far as skill I don't think he is one of the best in College basketball.
February 16, 201016 yr I know I got tired of Bobby Knight talk about him like he was the greatest thing out there. Bob Knight doesn't usually bother me, in fact, I generally like when he does the games. But he was driving me crazy last night.
February 16, 201016 yr Never was that more evident than when he wasn't ejected last week when he blatantly punched an Ole Miss player in the head... Vanardo didn't blatantly punch a guy in the head. I saw the play. It was more of a push than a punch and it landed on the opponent's upper back. It was significant enough though that it should have been called a flagrant foul. I thought the opponent's elbow that glanced off Vanardo's chin was worse than Vanardo's retaliatory shove. As to Aldrich. I haven't seen him enough to say whether he is protected but the play last night where he went for the block and knocked the player to the ground with his body should have been a foul.
February 16, 201016 yr Obviously I'm in the minority on here, but I think Aldrich is a good center. He plays great defense and is an excellent passer. He runs the court exceptionally well. He needs to work on his moves. He's a decent shooter, but he's average with his back to the basket.
February 16, 201016 yr Vanardo didn't blatantly punch a guy in the head. I saw the play. It was more of a push than a punch and it landed on the opponent's upper back. It was significant enough though that it should have been called a flagrant foul. I thought the opponent's elbow that glanced off Vanardo's chin was worse than Vanardo's retaliatory shove. As to Aldrich. I haven't seen him enough to say whether he is protected but the play last night where he went for the block and knocked the player to the ground with his body should have been a foul. He had a closed fist on the play, that's a punch. How is a small elbow worse than a guy fully extending his arm with a clenched fist at the back of someone's head?
February 16, 201016 yr Vanardo didn't blatantly punch a guy in the head. I saw the play. It was more of a push than a punch and it landed on the opponent's upper back. It was significant enough though that it should have been called a flagrant foul. I thought the opponent's elbow that glanced off Vanardo's chin was worse than Vanardo's retaliatory shove. As to Aldrich. I haven't seen him enough to say whether he is protected but the play last night where he went for the block and knocked the player to the ground with his body should have been a foul. Absolutely was a foul. :thumb:
February 16, 201016 yr Bob Knight doesn't usually bother me, in fact, I generally like when he does the games. But he was driving me crazy last night. I hear you. He was very irritating last night.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.