February 16, 201016 yr He had a closed fist on the play, that's a punch. How is a small elbow worse than a guy fully extending his arm with a clenched fist at the back of someone's head? The elbow was worse because it also was blatant, it did connect with Vanardo's chin and because of the emphasis on elbows in the NCAA this year. I agree Vanardo's actions were flagrant. I just didn't want people who did not see the play to read your post and think Vanardo landed a punch flush on the guy's head. Vanardo's "punch" landed on the guy's upper back and was a glancing blow just as much as the other guy's elbow.
February 16, 201016 yr Not to take anything away from the big guy, but is he protected by the refs, or what? I've watched Kansas play several times this year, including last night, and it seems like he gets his 3rd foul right after halftime every game. After that, he sits for a bit, comes back in and usually doesn't get another foul. Occasionally he will get a 4th, but never foul out. It just seems to me that he is protected and I don't understand that. Last night he could've fouled out, IMO, but of course he didn't. Am I just biased or what do you guys think? I agree with you! But I am biased I hate Kansas.
February 16, 201016 yr How did Aldrich get out of high school without that free throw technique being corrected? Heck, how did he get out of middle school with it?
February 16, 201016 yr All I know is that if Alrich had to go through what Boogie has to go through game in and game out, then he wouldn't do anything. It looks bad on tv (because it is bad), but for Saturday nights game, I sit five rows from the floor, behind the basket. When Kentucky had its offensive possessions on that end, it was insane how much punishment Cousins had to take, most of the time without even so much as a look from the referee. It was really sickening to watch, it seemed as if every trip he was getting his jersey pulled, hacked, wrapped up, or something. I don't think there is anyone in college basketball right now that has to go through what Cuz has to go through, and if Aldrich got half of that then we would see his true colors IMO.
February 16, 201016 yr Author How did Aldrich get out of high school without that free throw technique being corrected? Heck' date=' how did he get out of middle school with it?[/quote'] My husband said the exact same thing last week. Who on Earth allowed that ridiculous free throw technique? Of course, he seems to generate at least one lane violation per game, so I guess it works for him. :lol:
February 16, 201016 yr Author About half of the shots he blocks are uncalled fouls. I agree. That is my whole point in this thread. I think he fouls all the time and doesn't get called for it. The twins seem to get called at times when it really should be on Aldrich, IMO.
February 16, 201016 yr So with that post out of the way, here is how I feel about Aldrich. He is big, and he has great hands and feet. One things for sure, you cannot teach size, and he has a pretty good skill set. However, I to feel he is overrated considering the constant praise he gets. Being a junior helps his cause, because obviously he has experience, and the officials have had a chance to get to know him. BUT, talent wise, I don't think theres any question about who is more talented between the likes of Cousins, Favors, and himself. Again, don't get me wrong, he is a solid big man, but I'd certainly take Boogs, Favors, Lawal, and maybe a couple more over him.
February 16, 201016 yr Obviously I'm in the minority on here, but I think Aldrich is a good center. He plays great defense and is an excellent passer. He runs the court exceptionally well. He needs to work on his moves. He's a decent shooter, but he's average with his back to the basket. I agree with you. He is not the most talented player when it comes to scoring. However he plays great defense, rebounds, and blocks shots. He is a good passer, and does do enough scoring to make teams have to respect him and try to double him some.
February 16, 201016 yr Obviously I'm in the minority on here, but I think Aldrich is a good center. He plays great defense and is an excellent passer. He runs the court exceptionally well. He needs to work on his moves. He's a decent shooter, but he's average with his back to the basket. :thumb: Aldrich is a solid ball player. He plays great defense and moves well for a big man. I've never been one of the Bob Knight haters but I must agree with many of the above posters, he's solid but he's not the god Knight makes him out to be.
February 16, 201016 yr I've never been one of the Bob Knight haters but I must agree with many of the above posters, he's solid but he's not the god Knight makes him out to be. Not by a long shot, but Bobby Knight is still all about the corn fed white boys, so of course Aldrich is going to receive top accolade from The General.
February 16, 201016 yr I was once extremely high on Aldrich but I just haven't seen any improvement. He's a nice player but I think he's overrated a tad bit as well. BSpikes keeps telling me that he has a good offensive post game, but I just don't see it. He has nice foot work IMO, but he's just kind of clumsy. Defensively he's not bad but I have always felt analyst overhype the performance of big men in the college game on the defensive end. There probably aren't 10 guys in college right now that will make an impact in the NBA in the post. Maybe some role players, 8-9th men but the competition is not great IMO. I think Aldrich is the next Joel Pryzbilla, which isn't bad but certainly not the player Knight and Co. hype him to be. JMO.
February 16, 201016 yr I think he will be one and DONE. That is if he even makes it too the NBA, they will teach him a lesson or two . Am I in minority here , but I don't believe he should be a first round pick . I am sure some team will take a chance and maybe even in the lottery but then after the first year or even rookie camp, it will be Adios and overseas . :puke::deadhorse:
February 16, 201016 yr I think he will be one and DONE. That is if he even makes it too the NBA, they will teach him a lesson or two . Am I in minority here , but I don't believe he should be a first round pick . I am sure some team will take a chance and maybe even in the lottery but then after the first year or even rookie camp, it will be Adios and overseas . :puke::deadhorse: Only one season in the NBA?
February 16, 201016 yr Only one season in the NBA? Yeah, I'm not buying that one either. Like I said in an earlier post, you can't teach size, and you definitely can't teach size with good hands, feet, and defensive instincts. Aldrich is a good player, one of the best bigs in college basketball. BUT, he is still overhyped just because of the way some have him put on a pedestal. He is far from being the best big in the land, although he is one of the best.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.