Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Louisville fans imploding on themselves, Pitino

Featured Replies

Interesting little piece on KSR today. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this article.

 

 

As a nearly lifelong Louisville resident, I not only get my share of UK fandom, but also get to see the other side of the aisle in the attitudes of Louisville fans. And lately, they have literally been fleeing in droves away from support of Rick Pitino. The statement heard most often on local sports talk radio and message boards over the past 4 weeks has been:

“The game has passed Pitino up. UL will never be elite with him as coach. Etc, etc, etc.”

Now, it is only fair that I mention that our fanbase basically did the same thing to Tubby Smith several years ago, but whereas Tubby’s teams often played up to their potential (mediocre), Pitino’s teams have been under-performing, especially in the postseason. This season was not supposed to be an elite UL team, BUT they have still greatly underperformed and find themselves squarely on the bubble without a quality win on the schedule.

As UK fans, you can have the opinion that is was sleazy and wrong for Pitino to coach our rivals. You can have the opinion that Pitino personally is a disaster, as his summer escapades proved. But, one thing that even UK fans have to admit is that Pitino is one hell of a college basketball coach. And if you think that I am wrong with that assumption, take a look at what other college coaches have done since the 2004-05 season (5 seasons plus this year):

 

 

 

The rest of the article

  • Replies 42
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is interesting that fans are saying UofL will never be elite again, etc.

It's foolishness, regardless of who's saying it.

I guess I don't hang out with the Louisville fans who have stopped supporting Pitino. I haven't heard anything of the sort... :confused:

A typical KSR article. Compliment and jab all in one. UK is good enough this year that they don't need to waste their time worrying about the Cards.

 

I'm a huge fan, follow the message boards, listen to WKRD/WHAS, etc. Most people are upset that this season has been mediocre. But in general, I've heard nothing of the stuff the KSR article is referring too. Anyone who doesn't see the world through red colored lens should've known this season wasn't going to be elite. I mean good grief. they lost two lotto picks and replaced them with 0 lotto picks. That being said, the Cards are in 5th place in a very difficult Big East.

 

Everyone has quickly forgot that this team has had major injury problems with 3 of the 4 guards nearly all season.

 

In my opinion, they have loss 3, maybe 4 games this season that they had no excuse losing. They've also lost 2 or 3 that they totally choked. Pitino can't go out there and make free throws for them, and execute in crunch time. That's on the kids. I expected them to be a second round/sweet 16 caliber team. They still have a chance to do that, but it is an uphill climb because of the early bad losses.

 

Fact of the matter is that he's took them to 3 of the past 5 elite 8's. I'd say most any realistic fan would be happy with that. The off-season personal problems are obviously going to make him a target from criticism this year. And he probably deserves that. But to say the game has past him up is crazy. He just got a commitment from a 5star player this week. He has a top 5 class already verballed for 2011.

 

The UofL fans saying the Pitino and the Cards will not be elite have a short memory. In my opinion, UofL is an elite program right now. Every school has a down year. Look at UNC and Uconn this year. The fans saying this are usually bandwagon fans that just don't get "it".

Edited by LCPATS

A typical KSR article. Compliment and jab all in one. UK is good enough this year that they don't need to waste their time worrying about the Cards.

 

I'm a huge fan, follow the message boards, listen to WKRD/WHAS, etc. Most people are upset that this season has been mediocre. But in general, I've heard nothing of the stuff the KSR article is referring too. Anyone who doesn't see the world through red colored lens should've known this season wasn't going to be elite. I mean good grief. they lost two lotto picks and replaced them with 0 lotto picks. That being said, the Cards are in 5th place in a very difficult Big East.

 

Everyone has quickly forgot that this team has had major injury problems with 3 of the 4 guards nearly all season.

 

In my opinion, they have loss 3, maybe 4 games this season that they had no excuse losing. They've also lost 2 or 3 that they totally choked. Pitino can go out there and make free throws for them, and execute in crunch time. That's on the kids. I expected them to be a second round/sweet 16 caliber team. They still have a chance to do that, but it is an uphill climb because of the early bad losses.

 

Fact of the matter is that he's took them to 3 of the past 5 elite 8's. I'd say most any realistic fan would be happy with that. The off-season personal problems are obviously going to make him a target from criticism this year. And he probably deserves that. But to say the game has past him up is crazy. He just got a commitment from a 5star player this week. He has a top 5 class already verballed for 2011.

 

The UofL fans saying the Pitino and the Cards will not be elite have a short memory. In my opinion, UofL is an elite program right now. Every school has a down year. Look at UNC and Uconn this year. The fans saying this are usually bandwagon fans that just don't get "it".

 

 

:thumb: I agree with everything you say. A year ago, the Cards won the tournament of the toughest conference in the universe. If all the crap that happened with Pitino this past summer hadn't come out, this article would have probably never been written. JMO.

A typical KSR article. Compliment and jab all in one. UK is good enough this year that they don't need to waste their time worrying about the Cards.

 

I'm a huge fan, follow the message boards, listen to WKRD/WHAS, etc. Most people are upset that this season has been mediocre. But in general, I've heard nothing of the stuff the KSR article is referring too. Anyone who doesn't see the world through red colored lens should've known this season wasn't going to be elite. I mean good grief. they lost two lotto picks and replaced them with 0 lotto picks. That being said, the Cards are in 5th place in a very difficult Big East.

 

Everyone has quickly forgot that this team has had major injury problems with 3 of the 4 guards nearly all season.

 

In my opinion, they have loss 3, maybe 4 games this season that they had no excuse losing. They've also lost 2 or 3 that they totally choked. Pitino can go out there and make free throws for them, and execute in crunch time. That's on the kids. I expected them to be a second round/sweet 16 caliber team. They still have a chance to do that, but it is an uphill climb because of the early bad losses.

 

Fact of the matter is that he's took them to 3 of the past 5 elite 8's. I'd say most any realistic fan would be happy with that. The off-season personal problems are obviously going to make him a target from criticism this year. And he probably deserves that. But to say the game has past him up is crazy. He just got a commitment from a 5star player this week. He has a top 5 class already verballed for 2011.

 

The UofL fans saying the Pitino and the Cards will not be elite have a short memory. In my opinion, UofL is an elite program right now. Every school has a down year. Look at UNC and Uconn this year. The fans saying this are usually bandwagon fans that just don't get "it".

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:thumb: I agree with everything you say. A year ago, the Cards won the tournament of the toughest conference in the universe. If all the crap that happened with Pitino this past summer hadn't come out, this article would have probably never been written. JMO.

 

Agreed. :thumb:

A typical KSR article. Compliment and jab all in one. UK is good enough this year that they don't need to waste their time worrying about the Cards.

 

I'm a huge fan, follow the message boards, listen to WKRD/WHAS, etc. Most people are upset that this season has been mediocre. But in general, I've heard nothing of the stuff the KSR article is referring too. Anyone who doesn't see the world through red colored lens should've known this season wasn't going to be elite. I mean good grief. they lost two lotto picks and replaced them with 0 lotto picks. That being said, the Cards are in 5th place in a very difficult Big East.

 

Everyone has quickly forgot that this team has had major injury problems with 3 of the 4 guards nearly all season.

 

In my opinion, they have loss 3, maybe 4 games this season that they had no excuse losing. They've also lost 2 or 3 that they totally choked. Pitino can't go out there and make free throws for them, and execute in crunch time. That's on the kids. I expected them to be a second round/sweet 16 caliber team. They still have a chance to do that, but it is an uphill climb because of the early bad losses.

 

Fact of the matter is that he's took them to 3 of the past 5 elite 8's. I'd say most any realistic fan would be happy with that. The off-season personal problems are obviously going to make him a target from criticism this year. And he probably deserves that. But to say the game has past him up is crazy. He just got a commitment from a 5star player this week. He has a top 5 class already verballed for 2011.

 

The UofL fans saying the Pitino and the Cards will not be elite have a short memory. In my opinion, UofL is an elite program right now. Every school has a down year. Look at UNC and Uconn this year. The fans saying this are usually bandwagon fans that just don't get "it".

 

 

 

:thumb:

 

This team lacks a true leader. Last couple of years each team has had a leader. (Padget, T-will, Dean, Fransico, ....just to name a few)

 

Everyone thought that Smith, Knowles, and Sosa could do it. They lack the a little something.

 

This team has played well this month. Just like some UK fans, UL have some fans that don't have a clue.

I don't think the game has passed Pitino, I do think that the scandal during the off season has really taken a toll on him though. IMO he coaches one season in the new arena and retires.

 

UL isn't as bad as their record shows this season. Something isn't right, they just aren't playing well. It happens...

I don't think the game has passed Pitino, I do think that the scandal during the off season has really taken a toll on him though. IMO he coaches one season in the new arena and retires.

 

UL isn't as bad as their record shows this season. Something isn't right, they just aren't playing well. It happens...

 

 

I tend to think if you don't live right things have a way of kicking you in the butt. I also think what Pitino has went through will make him a better person and coach.

 

This year isn't over and they have enough talent to make the elite 8.

I tend to think if you don't live right things have a way of kicking you in the butt. I also think what Pitino has went through will make him a better person and coach.

 

This year isn't over and they have enough talent to make the elite 8.

 

They better get a pretty high seed to do that. If they make it, their seed won't be higher than an 8 leading into a showdown with a top seed in the second round.

They better get a pretty high seed to do that. If they make it, their seed won't be higher than an 8 leading into a showdown with a top seed in the second round.

 

Louisville had the #1 in the BE Villanova down 17 and let them come back and win. Gave away a win on the road at WVU and at Pitt. While I don't see it happening, they could still win the BE Tourney and get a VERY decent seed. UL is not as down and out as many would like to think.

As an avid UK fan I will say this. I dont think any UK fan would trade Coach Cal for anyone right now including myself, it is very similar to the marriage UK and Pitino had in the 90's. Pitino admits he made a mistake in leaving but its natural to always try and top yourself when your as good as Rick.

Having said that when the UK job opened up last year the top 3 names that MOST UK fans wanted were Billy D, Cal, and yes Ricky P. Most, but not al,l would have welcomed him back with open arms. Now that UK is back on top, hopefully Rick will be forgiven by all and move forward.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.