Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7th grade middle school State tournament Feb.5-7

Featured Replies

No excuse for anyone not to show, weather wasn't that bad.

  • Replies 96
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not a school related function then how can the school tell them that they cant play. Two years ago my son's 7th grade coach couldnt take Highlands down because he was out of town for a wedding that weekend so myself and another parent decided to take the boys down and let em play. We didnt think we were going to win the State Championship but we wanted the kids to experience playing in that atmosphere. Heck, we even had a regular season game vs. Holmes that had to be played on that Saturday morning. We went down on a friday night and faced a very very tough LTMS team led by 6'3 shot blocking specialist Braxton McFarland and some speedy guards who I think were only 6th graders at the time. The boys had to get up and play Holmes at 10am on Saturday morning back up in NKY. That was a run n gun shootout. Then they had to jump right in the car and drive 90 minutes south to face off against the eventual state champ that year Scott County. They lost both games but we made it happen and even though we wished we could have advanced we committed to playing and made it happen. It would have been easy to just call the KBA and forfeit that Scott Co game after the boys were tired from the Holmes game but we didnt.

 

I don't know all the specifics. With the bad weather and they are representing Ockerman (team jerseys):ohbrother. Must be liabilty issues. I wish they would have played. I would have liked to see how Stanley did against some of the southern and eastern teams. They have no one that can match up with him however they are more balanced than Ockerman. Would have been very interesting. Maybe next year.:ohbrother:

As of 7:00 p.m. last night, Ockerman had already been marked on the board with a loss. They were not scheduled to play until 8:30 p.m. so apparently they did call ahead and let someone know that they would not be playing otherwise they would not have been already marked off. I wouldn't know how far in advance they called but it was at least before 7:00 p.m.

Ockerman 7th grade team was in Lexington Friday evening ready to play and was told they were not allowed to play since all Boone County School acitivities were cancelled after 5pm. The coach even spoke with the school superintendent and was told they were "not to play" it's agianst school board policy. The 7th grade coach from Ockerman DID notify the KBA they were not allowed to play that evening.

The same situation has happened today, Sat. since all Boone County School activities have been cancelled for the day.

The Ockerman players, coaches and parents are extremely disappointed they cannot participate.

Will Ockerman play today?

 

No, they are back in N. KY.

Are you serious? After all the talk on this thread about how great Ockerman was, and for them to pull a no show is classless IMO. I don't care if you are missing your key player or not, it doesn't matter. You do the right thing, and show up and play the game. I really hope they called the KBA. Ockerman entered this tournament over a week ago, and it sends the wrong message to the other players when you no show because your best player can't make the trip. I have coached basketball for a long time, and didn't always have my full complement of players, and I ALWAYS showed up to play in any tournament we were entered in. This is wrong. What about the team they were scheduled to play? Did anybody care to think about them and the effort they put forth to show up and expect a game? Unreal.

 

I was simply giving my opinion on why I thought they didn't play. I didn't say thats how I would have handled it.

 

I was very careful not to mention names or state my opinion as fact in case there was another explanation. Which it seems now that there is.

 

Anyone know how Holmes is doing so far?

Ockerman 7th grade team was in Lexington Friday evening ready to play and was told they were not allowed to play since all Boone County School acitivities were cancelled after 5pm. The coach even spoke with the school superintendent and was told they were "not to play" it's agianst school board policy. The 7th grade coach from Ockerman DID notify the KBA they were not allowed to play that evening.

The same situation has happened today, Sat. since all Boone County School activities have been cancelled for the day.

The Ockerman players, coaches and parents are extremely disappointed they cannot participate.

 

My son is on the Ockerman 7th grade team and this is correct. The schools system canceled all school activities and our coach was told in no uncertain terms that we would not be allowed to play. Same thing today.

 

On a side note, it would be interesting to see what happened if one of the Boone County teams made it to the Sweet 16 and all school activities were canceled. I guess under this "logic" the team in question would have to forfeit the Sweet 16 game. LOL

Or the academic state championship, or even better, the football state championship.

My son is on the Ockerman 7th grade team and this is correct. The schools system canceled all school activities and our coach was told in no uncertain terms that we would not be allowed to play. Same thing today.

 

On a side note, it would be interesting to see what happened if one of the Boone County teams made it to the Sweet 16 and all school activities were canceled. I guess under this "logic" the team in question would have to forfeit the Sweet 16 game. LOL

I am curious, I was looking at the Boone Co. Website and saw Conner middle school is a part of the same school district as Ockerman middle school. Why was Conner able to play in the state tournament and Ockerman was not? Conner was playing South Laurel at 8:40 tonight when I left the KBA. They had made it to the final 16. Please correct me if I am missing something because I am not from Northern Kentucky.
I am curious, I was looking at the Boone Co. Website and saw Conner middle school is a part of the same school district as Ockerman middle school. Why was Conner able to play in the state tournament and Ockerman was not? Conner was playing South Laurel at 8:40 tonight when I left the KBA. They had made it to the final 16. Please correct me if I am missing something because I am not from Northern Kentucky.

 

Interesting....Very Interesting. Conner does fall under Boone County School Systems. :idunno:

Its too bad KBA doesnt post results. I would love to see how the schedule has panned out so far.

  • Author

Final eight

Southern Vs. Wayne

Scott County Vs Virgie

South Laurel Vs. AB Combs/JCTMS (Ab was up 7 with about 4 minutes left)

Johnson County Vs. Knox COunty.

Final eight

Southern Vs. Wayne

Scott County Vs Virgie

South Laurel Vs. AB Combs/JCTMS (Ab was up 7 with about 4 minutes left)

Johnson County Vs. Knox COunty.

 

Thanks and good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks and good luck the rest of the way.
Kind of surprising to see AB Combs make it to the final 8 if in fact that they did. They had a nice team but not final 8 quality.

 

Of the teams that I saw play, Wayne County was very impressive as well as Johnson County. Hoptown looked pretty good also.

 

IMO, unless you have SEVERAL holdbacks it would be very difficult to compete in this tournament.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.