December 19, 200916 yr Author Xavier led 68-67 and it was Butler ball with just over 20 seconds. There was a loose ball that went all the way to the backcourt and Butler eventually got it. Right as they were getting to it, the clock pauses at 14.7 seconds, for who knows how long. Eventually, Butler misses a three, gets the rebound, a Butler player gets the ball while on the ground or just off of it, gets up, passes it, ball is laid in with 1.2 seconds left on the clock. Eventually, the refs rule that the time the clock paused amounted to enough that the ball would have been let go while there was still time on the clock, but would have been 0.0 when it went through the net. I do not even almost believe that was ever the intent of instant replay in the game. Do you suppose for a second that had the ball been released with .5 seconds left on the visible clock instead of 1.8 as there actually was that they would have determined that the pause earlier was enough that Butler wouldn't have gotten the ball off? That's crap. Complete and utter crap.
December 19, 200916 yr When clock stopped at 14.7 the officals used stopwatch to determine how much time clock was stopped and took it off clock after the fact. Wrong, in my opinion. If they are saying 1.2 seconds didn't go off clock who knows what happens at end. Instead of shooting layup kid might pull up an shoots a short jumper,ect... Terrible, terrible ending.. Edited December 20, 200916 yr by Birdsfan
December 19, 200916 yr Author This and the Texas/Nebraska football game are now two uses of instant replay and time on the clock at the end of the game I've never seen before. Unlike the Texas/Nebraska game, I'm not certain they even got this one right.
December 19, 200916 yr If you look at the replay I thought it maybe should have been over and back against Butler when the ball went to the other end of the court. It looked like a Butler player was the last one to touch it before it hit past midcourt and Butler was the first to touch it in the backcourt.
December 19, 200916 yr Worst college officiating I've seen in a long time. I thought they were bad the entire game. No way that was a jump ball either. That was a big play. That was either a foul or a no call. Im not one to rip on officials in a public forum, but they cost Xavier that game. If I was coach mack I would have had a more than a fit. How do we know the kid even got the final shot off in time??????
December 19, 200916 yr Worst college officiating I've seen in a long time. I thought they were bad the entire game. No way that was a jump ball either. That was a big play. That was either a foul or a no call. Im not one to rip on officials in a public forum, but they cost Xavier that game. If I was coach mack I would have had a more than a fit. How do we know the kid even got the final shot off in time?????? Agree 100% that was absolutely horrible. First off how do you make that jump ball call? His back was to the official and agree that's either a no call or foul... Second how in the world do you just end the game like that? That is an absolutely horrible way to end a game and those officials should be unemployed.
December 19, 200916 yr Replay in basketball is junk. Should of just let them play it out, as if the 1.2 really mattered.
December 19, 200916 yr Just got back from Hinkle. Great old facility. Barn-like. I was at the entrance to the X lockerroom during the fiasco at the end and when X came off of the floor. To paraphrase Coach Mack as he was entering the lockerroom "this is a high school operation" give or take a few words.
December 20, 200916 yr Also, as Butler was going to the locker room, they showed a shot of the crowd and a guy was standing there with a royal jacket on. It did not look professional enough for the KC Royals but wonder if anyone knew who it was?
December 20, 200916 yr I just saw the replay of the jump ball call. It definitely wasn't a foul. Probably a solid call. As to the over-and-back question someone posed I'm not 100% sure but I think college rules differ from high school and they take into account the defense deflecting the ball unlike high school. High school would have been a violation.
December 20, 200916 yr Here is the explanation from the officials. Official Referee Explanation of the Butler-Xavier Game Adam Coppinger · December 19, 2009 Here is the official explanation of the ruling at the end of the Butler-Xavier game: Statement From Today’s Game Officials The game clock was erroneously stopped at 14.7 seconds. When we put (on) the stopwatch to see how long the clock had erroneously stopped, 1.3 seconds had elapsed. The shot by the Butler player was released at 1.8 seconds. The ball went through the net at 1.2 seconds and the clock stopped correctly. Because we lost 1.3 seconds, that time is deducted from the remaining 1.2 seconds, officially ending the game
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.