Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Butler 69 Xavier 68

Featured Replies

I can't imagine them deciding a game based on a stopwatch not being at the table. No way a technical foul would have been given.

 

I gave no opinion either way. Just asked the question. There are all sorts of instances where Ts are given.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a huge Xavier fan and to say I was disappointed with the way the refs handled the situation is an understatement. However, the idiot running the clock put them in a near impossible situation. That person is the one that should be fired.

 

I'm not sure if its a requirement but most D1 schools have a setup where the ref has a transmitter on his belt that automatically stops the clock when he blows his whistle. I think its only used in the last minute. Not sure if Butler had that setup or not.

Cldye I have a lot of respect for you knowledge and opinions of the game and the rules but how can you say this was the best way to handle this?

 

I have talked to about 10 people about this. Everyone agrees the best way to handle it was to leave the time on the clock that was there. Thats the only way it should have been handled. Leave the 1.2sec left. Probably nothing happens, but who knows.

 

And honestly I believe Butler loses that game if clock hadn't stopped. No way that kid reacts the same way, and my guess would be we'd be checking replay to see if the shot got out of his hand in time.

 

Oh well, its over now and Xavier has to move on. But they definelty got a raw deal yesterday at Hinkle.

Cldye I have a lot of respect for you knowledge and opinions of the game and the rules but how can you say this was the best way to handle this?

 

I have talked to about 10 people about this. Everyone agrees the best way to handle it was to leave the time on the clock that was there. Thats the only way it should have been handled. Leave the 1.2sec left. Probably nothing happens, but who knows.

 

And honestly I believe Butler loses that game if clock hadn't stopped. No way that kid reacts the same way, and my guess would be we'd be checking replay to see if the shot got out of his hand in time.

 

Oh well, its over now and Xavier has to move on. But they definelty got a raw deal yesterday at Hinkle.

 

The officials have to go by the actual rules and not what fans/coaches/players think would be fair. I do not have an NCAA rulebook but from what I gather they followed the rules on how to handle the situation.

Hopefully this will spur more teams to go to the Precision Time System that many conferences now use for end of game situations.

If the X player had dribbled up the wide open lane he had, the jump ball would not have happened and the clock would of ticked off a lot of time. Well it should have but we don't know it may have stopped like it did anyway. What about the Butler player standing up when he was on the floor with the ball? He had possession stood up and lost it. Should have been a walk right before the last shot.

If the X player had dribbled up the wide open lane he had, the jump ball would not have happened and the clock would of ticked off a lot of time. Well it should have but we don't know it may have stopped like it did anyway. What about the Butler player standing up when he was on the floor with the ball? He had possession stood up and lost it. Should have been a walk right before the last shot.

 

In regards to the Butler player standing up with the ball in the last scramble, I'm not sure if he did travel. I initially thought he did so I watched the replay over and over. I think he's actually off of his knees BEFORE he gets possession of the ball so it wouldn't be a travel. However, I had to look at it over and over to determine that so I could see how it wasn't called. Heck, I could see how it would have been called. It was that close.

 

Mistake by the X player to not take off dribbling. Great player by #20.

Here is the biggest issue I would have as a Xavier fan. Watch the last ten seconds and look under the basket. Jordan Crawford fell down and then laid there on the floor the final 7+ seconds. Instead of hustling and getting back up, he watched the winning shot go in laying on his stomach. And the man who scored the winning basket was his man who hustled during those final seconds. If Crawford keeps playing and doesn't quit on his team in those final seconds, XU wins that game.

I just saw the replay of the jump ball call. It definitely wasn't a foul. Probably a solid call.

 

As to the over-and-back question someone posed I'm not 100% sure but I think college rules differ from high school and they take into account the defense deflecting the ball unlike high school. High school would have been a violation.

 

Incorrect on my part. I verified that high school and college have the same rule. If offense is the last to touch it in the frontcourt and the first to touch it in the backcourt its a violation. However, I watched this over and over and I can't tell who touched it when.

If they are going to use a stop watch to check the time that the timer made an error with 14 seconds to go, I think they should review the entire game and see if it occured any other times--maybe he/she let it run too long when a whistle was blown earlier in the game or vice versa. Human error--let it be and leave the 1.2 seconds on the game and play it out.

If they are going to use a stop watch to check the time that the timer made an error with 14 seconds to go, I think they should review the entire game and see if it occured any other times--maybe he/she let it run too long when a whistle was blown earlier in the game or vice versa. Human error--let it be and leave the 1.2 seconds on the game and play it out.

 

The rules do not allow them to review the entire game.

A friend of mine who was at the game got a text during the time that they were watching the replay. The sender is in the athletic administration at another school and was watching the fiasco on TV. It said something to the effect of "another case of the sticky-fingered clock guy at Hinkle."

 

It was definitely shady. Too convenient for Butler.

 

Here is the biggest issue I would have as a Xavier fan. Watch the last ten seconds and look under the basket. Jordan Crawford fell down and then laid there on the floor the final 7+ seconds. Instead of hustling and getting back up, he watched the winning shot go in laying on his stomach. And the man who scored the winning basket was his man who hustled during those final seconds. If Crawford keeps playing and doesn't quit on his team in those final seconds, XU wins that game.

 

Crawford immediately called timeout though.

 

This was horrible officiating. The proper thing, in my opinion, would have been to let Xavier play out the remaining 1.2 seconds. The whole stopwatch thing is too speculative. There are too many variables that would occur had the clock not stopped, and neither team deserves to lose (or win) based on a ruling by the officials. Let the players determine the outcome of the game.

 

I would've flipped out had I been on the floor or bench. If the ruling was in my favor, I can't imagine I would have liked it much either, although it'd be easier to get over. :D

On the timing issue, my question is when and who noticed the clock stopped at 14.7 seconds? If it was noticed prior to the end of that play, shouldn't time have been stopped immediately to fix the clock?

 

Second, I still have a bigger issue with Jordan Crawford than I do the clock. How can a player lay on the floor for the final seven seconds of a game and watch his man scramble for a loose ball, gain possession of the ball, turn and shoot a layup to win the game? Personally, I think Jordan Crawford is hurting Xavier as much if not more than he is helping them. And Chris Mack seems to be letting Crawford do whatever he pleases.

On the timing issue, my question is when and who noticed the clock stopped at 14.7 seconds? If it was noticed prior to the end of that play, shouldn't time have been stopped immediately to fix the clock?

 

.

 

You cannot blow the horn or stop the clock while the ball is live.

You cannot blow the horn or stop the clock while the ball is live.

 

Are you sure? It seems like I have often seen games stopped in progress because the shot clock was not working and other time issues. If the clock in the Butler XU game had remained stuck at 14.7, would they have let the game play out? I have to believe officials can stop a game in progress if the clock is not working properly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.