December 20, 200916 yr Author A stopwatch? How the heck is that even allowed? The reason this is never done is because of all the situations that change. As I sort of hinted at earlier, am I to believe that if Butler had really shaved it close, decided to hold for the last shot and actually shoot with, say, 1 second left, that they'd say "Nope, tough luck. We timed you on THIS STOPWATCH and even though you had no idea that the clock was stopped for 1.3 seconds with 14.7 seconds left in the game, you actually shot with no time on the clock." This is all crap. Instant replay was never intended to do what they just did with it today.
December 20, 200916 yr A stopwatch? How the heck is that even allowed? The reason this is never done is because of all the situations that change. As I sort of hinted at earlier, am I to believe that if Butler had really shaved it close, decided to hold for the last shot and actually shoot with, say, 1 second left, that they'd say "Nope, tough luck. We timed you on THIS STOPWATCH and even though you had no idea that the clock was stopped for 1.3 seconds with 14.7 seconds left in the game, you actually shot with no time on the clock." This is all crap. Instant replay was never intended to do what they just did with it today. What would have been the best way to handle it?
December 20, 200916 yr Author What would have been the best way to handle it? Leave the time exactly where it was, 1.2 seconds. You simply cannot do what they did. There are too many variables. Who is to say that the player doesn't just fire the ball up there immediately from the floor upon seeing that there was only like 1.5 seconds left on the clock? That they would have taken the same shot they did before when they did? Had they simply left it alone, I don't think anyone would be reacting the way they are. In all likelihood, Xavier does not hit a shot to win the game, and the result ends the same. But they were denied an opportunity that in my opinion, they deserved.
December 20, 200916 yr What would have been the best way to handle it? They did all they could to make up for a mess of a situation. I was a crazy ending, and if it was UC I'd be furious about how it played out, but after watching the video a few times the stripes used what they had in place to make the right call. There isn't a coach in the country that would be OK walking off the court after that, but in the end I didn't see anything to blame on the refs other than the clock operator putting them in a tough spot...
December 20, 200916 yr Just got back from Hinkle. Great old facility. Barn-like. I was at the entrance to the X lockerroom during the fiasco at the end and when X came off of the floor. To paraphrase Coach Mack as he was entering the lockerroom "this is a high school operation" give or take a few words. It was worse than a high school operation. While they were taking 30 min to decide the call I timed how long the clock stayed at 14.7 and it was like 1.3 seconds give or take a few tenths. But I don't feel like they should have just erased the 1.2 seconds off the clock and end the game. That last second should have been allowed to been played out. Honestly if the clock hadn't paused there really is no telling how much time would have been left but I don't think just ending the game is the right call. But this was a horribly officiated game period. Edited December 20, 200916 yr by TinCup11 sp
December 20, 200916 yr They did all they could to make up for a mess of a situation. I was a crazy ending, and if it was UC I'd be furious about how it played out, but after watching the video a few times the stripes used what they had in place to make the right call. There isn't a coach in the country that would be OK walking off the court after that, but in the end I didn't see anything to blame on the refs other than the clock operator putting them in a tough spot... I agree the refs were in a tough spot but it just doesn't seem right that they should have ended it this way. If that happened in a UK game and UK was Xavier those refs would have to be put in witness protection.
December 20, 200916 yr Replay has no business in basketball in my opinion. Dumbest thing ever. Are you going to tell me that we would have looked at that clock situation the same with 6:47 left in the first half??? Are you going to tell me that the kid from Butler would have had time to take the ball to the basket and score the game winning bucket?? Are you going to say the game winning shot even made the buzzer before the light went off? We'll never know? These refs should be embarrassed. Butler should be embarrassed they won like this. In the end this could possibly cost Xavier a bid in the NCAA Tourn. They needed another good non conference win and this was it By the ways.........I knew what was going on during the break, even though Bobby Knight and Brett Musberger couldn't figure it out if there lives were depending on it. Still can't figure out how those two thought the refs were going to put time on the clock??? The clock stopped, it didn't keep running....they sounded like idiots. I think Chris Mack said it best, "HOME COOKIN" "HOME COOKIN" "HOME COOKIN"
December 20, 200916 yr Replay has no business in basketball in my opinion. Dumbest thing ever. Are you going to tell me that we would have looked at that clock situation the same with 6:47 left in the first half??? Are you going to tell me that the kid from Butler would have had time to take the ball to the basket and score the game winning bucket?? Are you going to say the game winning shot even made the buzzer before the light went off? We'll never know? These refs should be embarrassed. Butler should be embarrassed they won like this. In the end this could possibly cost Xavier a bid in the NCAA Tourn. They needed another good non conference win and this was it By the ways.........I knew what was going on during the break, even though Bobby Knight and Brett Musberger couldn't figure it out if there lives were depending on it. Still can't figure out how those two thought the refs were going to put time on the clock??? The clock stopped, it didn't keep running....they sounded like idiots. I think Chris Mack said it best, "HOME COOKIN" "HOME COOKIN" "HOME COOKIN" Just playing Devil's advocate... what if the clock stopped for a little bit longer and the shot actually was not off in time. I think the X fans would like to use replay in that situation.
December 20, 200916 yr Just playing Devil's advocate... what if the clock stopped for a little bit longer and the shot actually was not off in time. I think the X fans would like to use replay in that situation. Bingo. No good solution but I think they did come up with the best of the bad solutions. I'd be more disappointed if they told me they "estimated" it.
December 20, 200916 yr A friend of mine who was at the game got a text during the time that they were watching the replay. The sender is in the athletic administration at another school and was watching the fiasco on TV. It said something to the effect of "another case of the sticky-fingered clock guy at Hinkle."
December 20, 200916 yr From what I gathered, a lot of the delay was due to the fact that a digital stopwatch was not at the table. I understand that it is an NCAA requirement that there is to be a stopwatch at the table. They had to go hunting around in the coaches office to find one. If this indeed an NCAA requirement, would the home team not be subject to a technical foul for non compliance. Just wondering if there is a rule pertaining to this situation?
December 20, 200916 yr IMHO, this should have played out like replay in the NFL. Once a "play" has been run you can't go back and change (correct?) the situation. Once the basket had been made they shouldn't have been allowed to change the clock.
December 20, 200916 yr From what I gathered, a lot of the delay was due to the fact that a digital stopwatch was not at the table. I understand that it is an NCAA requirement that there is to be a stopwatch at the table. They had to go hunting around in the coaches office to find one. If this indeed an NCAA requirement, would the home team not be subject to a technical foul for non compliance. Just wondering if there is a rule pertaining to this situation? I can't imagine them deciding a game based on a stopwatch not being at the table. No way a technical foul would have been given.
December 20, 200916 yr I am a huge Xavier fan and to say I was disappointed with the way the refs handled the situation is an understatement. However, the idiot running the clock put them in a near impossible situation. That person is the one that should be fired.
December 20, 200916 yr Author Just playing Devil's advocate... what if the clock stopped for a little bit longer and the shot actually was not off in time. I think the X fans would like to use replay in that situation. Bingo. No good solution but I think they did come up with the best of the bad solutions. I'd be more disappointed if they told me they "estimated" it. I have already talked about this several times. I don't believe for a second that they would have run the clock off in that situation and disallowed the basket. Because the (valid) argument would have been that Butler would have had no way of knowing that the clock was wrong. Otherwise they would have shot the ball even sooner. That scenario is a prime example of why this shouldn't be done in either direction.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.