Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Vitale: Humanitarian

Featured Replies

The story of a Bradenton teenager's slaying has led a nationally known sportscaster to help pay for her funeral expenses.

 

ESPN commentator Dick Vitale spoke this morning with Raechelle James, the mother of Jazmine Thompson, the Bayshore High School cheerleader who was fatally shot Friday night.

 

Vitale said he has made arrangements with the family to help with funeral expenses. James recently lost her job and does not have insurance.

 

STORY LINK

  • Replies 32
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vitale has always given me the impression that he is just a genuinely great guy.

^ Agreed. His over-the-top broadcasting style may have worn thin, but his enthusiasm and passion can't be denied.

Why would he make this such a public thing?

 

To raise money for the scholarship funds he has started for them, maybe.

I live here in Bradenton and in the Bayshore School District. It was very sad what happened and please hold the family in your prayers. They are great, down-to-earth people. Dick Vitale believe it or not is a great figure in the Bradenton Area. He is always looking to help out in anyway he can. After I moved here from Kentucky, I have a new perspective for Dicky V for his contributions to society here. Bradenton is going through some rough times and he is stepping up to help everyone in need.

This was a nice thing to do, but why must it be told?

I live here in Bradenton and in the Bayshore School District. It was very sad what happened and please hold the family in your prayers. They are great, down-to-earth people. Dick Vitale believe it or not is a great figure in the Bradenton Area. He is always looking to help out in anyway he can. After I moved here from Kentucky, I have a new perspective for Dicky V for his contributions to society here. Bradenton is going through some rough times and he is stepping up to help everyone in need.

 

Prayers and angels from Clark Co.

This was a nice thing to do, but why must it be told?

 

Probably because it is Dick Vitale giving back. Celebrities get the publicity. I know the family really well, they come into my work all the time. They don't have much money but they always had a smile on their face.

Vital is a class act... bad announcer IMO but a class act...

This was a nice thing to do, but why must it be told?

 

 

Don't you think maybe the mother is the one who broke the story to the media?

The story of a Bradenton teenager's slaying has led a nationally known sportscaster to help pay for her funeral expenses.

 

ESPN commentator Dick Vitale spoke this morning with Raechelle James, the mother of Jazmine Thompson, the Bayshore High School cheerleader who was fatally shot Friday night.

 

Vitale said he has made arrangements with the family to help with funeral expenses. James recently lost her job and does not have insurance.

 

STORY LINK

 

Waitaminute. I thought the only folks who didn't have insurance were those who didn't want it? :confused:

 

In all seriousness, good move by Dicky V. He may be annoying, but I've never questioned his heart.

Ever since Coach Cal took the job I am starting to like Vitale more and more. Seems every since he jumped on the bandwaggon a little Vitale doesn't bother me listening to him. I know we are not Duke or UNC to him but as least he doesn't crucify UK day in and day out.

Don't know about the story, just what I read on here.

Don't know about the story, just what I read on here.
As the linked article said, he is setting up a scholarship fund. How do you get the word out about the fund? Attaching his name will get more donors, too. Besides, what's wrong with reporting about a celebrity doing some good for once.

 

Hats off to Dicky V. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.