Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top Freshman

Featured Replies

I know these are not your rankings, and I'm not questioning the players listed, but a player getting no mention by Demling is Ryan Timmons. His middle school team defeated all the top teams in central Ky last season, including Scott County, the team from Richmond, and Lexington Catholic on numerous occasions. I know he matched up with the kid from Scott County and gave him all kinds of trouble. As a matter of fact the only way I saw teams slow Timmons down was by going zone. Yet Timmons gets no mention by Demling.......all I can say is unbelievable!!!!! Somebody tell me what makes this guy a guru?

There are several that aren't on this list. But that's probably the kids he's seen. Where is Tyson Williams from McCreary Central or Kyle Skaggs from Russell and others. But again, it's a list that will change over the seasons as they approach graduation. All I can say is that there are some really good frosh this season that will see alot of varsity time.:thumb:

 

Kinda suspect when he misspells Trevor Tiller (Tilley)

  • Replies 95
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these are not your rankings, and I'm not questioning the players listed, but a player getting no mention by Demling is Ryan Timmons. His middle school team defeated all the top teams in central Ky last season, including Scott County, the team from Richmond, and Lexington Catholic on numerous occasions. I know he matched up with the kid from Scott County and gave him all kinds of trouble. As a matter of fact the only way I saw teams slow Timmons down was by going zone. Yet Timmons gets no mention by Demling.......all I can say is unbelievable!!!!! Somebody tell me what makes this guy a guru?

 

If you click on the link and read the article he said that he has not seen all the freshmen in person and these are the ones he has seen. He may not have seen him or just seen him on a bad night. The list of top 10 players in this class will almost assuredly be dramatically different in a couple years.

There are several that aren't on this list. But that's probably the kids he's seen. Where is Tyson Williams from McCreary Central or Kyle Skaggs from Russell and others. But again, it's a list that will change over the seasons as they approach graduation. All I can say is that there are some really good frosh this season that will see alot of varsity time.:thumb:

 

Kinda suspect when he misspells Trevor Tiller (Tilley)

 

I agree! I wondered the same thing!:idunno:

I know these are not your rankings, and I'm not questioning the players listed, but a player getting no mention by Demling is Ryan Timmons. His middle school team defeated all the top teams in central Ky last season, including Scott County, the team from Richmond, and Lexington Catholic on numerous occasions. I know he matched up with the kid from Scott County and gave him all kinds of trouble. As a matter of fact the only way I saw teams slow Timmons down was by going zone. Yet Timmons gets no mention by Demling.......all I can say is unbelievable!!!!! Somebody tell me what makes this guy a guru?

 

I agree. Timmons is definitely somebody that deserved a minimum of honorable mention. But, the reason why zones worked against Timmons is because he struggles with his outside shot (when I have seen him play) and looks to get to the basket at all cost. Once he improves his jump shot, he will shoot up the list in my opinion. But, he still deserves a mention for sure as he was the heart and soul of Elkhorn and from what I heard will get some varsity time this coming season.

 

Of course, keep in mind, all these kids have some type of deficiency in their game. So, don't think I am bashing Timmons -- he is a heck of a player.

I got to witness Timmons on several occasions and was very impressed. He was and is the motor that drives Franklin Co's 9th graders. I just wonder if he played AAU this past summer? Many of the kids that are recognized are only those who play AAU. There are several other players and teams in the state who've not been mentioned. Others will be mentioned in the near future!

  • Author
I got to witness Timmons on several occasions and was very impressed. He was and is the motor that drives Franklin Co's 9th graders. I just wonder if he played AAU this past summer? Many of the kids that are recognized are only those who play AAU. There are several other players and teams in the state who've not been mentioned. Others will be mentioned in the near future!

 

That is a good point. I am pretty sure that Demling (or any other recruiting gurus) did not see much of these kids playing school ball. AAU is where a lot of these kids get exposed at this age. For example, 8 of the top 10 played for either KY Elite or The Ville at some point this year.

I got to witness Timmons on several occasions and was very impressed. He was and is the motor that drives Franklin Co's 9th graders. I just wonder if he played AAU this past summer? Many of the kids that are recognized are only those who play AAU. There are several other players and teams in the state who've not been mentioned. Others will be mentioned in the near future!

 

His school team played some summer basketball, but not in the top notch tournament Demling would have seen. Of course, he also played with Franklin County in their summer action.

I agree. Timmons is definitely somebody that deserved a minimum of honorable mention. But, the reason why zones worked against Timmons is because he struggles with his outside shot (when I have seen him play) and looks to get to the basket at all cost. Once he improves his jump shot, he will shoot up the list in my opinion. But, he still deserves a mention for sure as he was the heart and soul of Elkhorn and from what I heard will get some varsity time this coming season.

 

Of course, keep in mind, all these kids have some type of deficiency in their game. So, don't think I am bashing Timmons -- he is a heck of a player.

I agree with this. The ones that really work hard to develop skills will be the players that continue to get mention down the road.

Here is a link to how Demling ranks the top freshman. I think the list is pretty close.

 

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2009/09/class-of-2013-rankings.html

 

1. Darryl Hicks

2. James Quick

3. Larry Morton

4. Dominique Hawkins

5. Blake Sanders

6. Nate McGovney

7. Jason Hatcher

8. Braxton McFarland

9. Cameron Lewis

10. Quin Richardson

 

 

According to this list Demling has Morton going to Lexington Catholic. I thought he was going to LCA. Does anyone know where hes going?

I saw Timmons from Franklin County this summer, and he will be a force at the varsity level this year IMO.

Here is a link to how Demling ranks the top freshman. I think the list is pretty close.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2009/09/class-of-2013-rankings.html

 

1. Darryl Hicks

2. James Quick

3. Larry Morton

4. Dominique Hawkins

5. Blake Sanders

6. Nate McGovney

7. Jason Hatcher

8. Braxton McFarland

9. Cameron Lewis

10. Quin Richardson

 

 

I truly think that this list can not even be close. Demling dont even see all of the players in Ky so how can he rank them. Personally I can't wait until this season starts so I can see how this year pans out. I bet it will be a little different than Demling thinks.

I truly think that this list can not even be close. Demling dont even see all of the players in Ky so how can he rank them. Personally I can't wait until this season starts so I can see how this year pans out. I bet it will be a little different than Demling thinks.

Not sure how anyone can say this list isn't even close. The reality is that if this list and these guys are even remotely close they are all top 30 guys and this early it truly doesn't matter. I am not sure how you can doubt all of these guys. The Hicks kid was the 3rd leading scorer and a top 20 all star at the Fab Frosh All American camp where they invited what was reported as the top 150 players in the country in 2013 and even if that is off by 50% that would still make him top 40 in the country easily making him top 5 in the state. Quick and Hatcher are NASTY and it is hard to imagine many guys better than those 3. The comment that it can't be close is wrong. There are some guys that you may be able to add and some you may be able to delete, but I can tell most that I believe at least half these guys belong in the top 10.

  • Author
I truly think that this list can not even be close. Demling dont even see all of the players in Ky so how can he rank them. Personally I can't wait until this season starts so I can see how this year pans out. I bet it will be a little different than Demling thinks.

 

I think it is obvious that Demling could not see every class of 2013 player. However, he went to the big tournaments where the best played and made his assessments.

 

My point is IF rankings matter to you, then put yourself in a position to be seen. I know that 9 of the top 10 played big time AAU ball this summer (either KY Elite, The Ville or with Madison County's D2 Nationals Final Four team). Morton is the only one I am uncertain about.

 

Will the list change over the next 4 years? Without a doubt. But, lets not knock the boys who worked their tails off this summer. They managed to put themselves in the right place at the right time and play well enough to earn it.

I think it is obvious that Demling could not see every class of 2013 player. However, he went to the big tournaments where the best played and made his assessments.

 

My point is IF rankings matter to you, then put yourself in a position to be seen. I know that 9 of the top 10 played big time AAU ball this summer (either KY Elite, The Ville or with Madison County's D2 Nationals Final Four team). Morton is the only one I am uncertain about.

 

Will the list change over the next 4 years? Without a doubt. But, lets not knock the boys who worked their tails off this summer. They managed to put themselves in the right place at the right time and play well enough to earn it.

 

1st off, I didn't say the kids in the list were not great players. All I'm trying to say is that there are other kids that Demling hasn't seen yet that should be in that list also.

The list is pretty good, but after watching Trevor Tiller at 5 Star camp, you could put him right there with Quick and Hicks.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.