Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cincinatti Area Folks, Please Advise

Featured Replies

My 7 year-old and I are San Diego Padres fans, so as a birthday present I am bringing him into Cincinatti on July 29th and 30th to see the Reds and Padres. We will be arriving the afternoon of the 29th, check-in, get something to eat, see the 7:35 p.m. game, stay the night, piddle around the next morning, see the 12:35 p.m. Businessman's Special, and drive home. Neither of us has ever been to Great American Ballpark, and frankly I am just not very familiar with downtown Cincinatti.

 

I would like your best recommendations on the following:

 

1. Hotel - 1 night. Money is not an object (and for this event a 4-star might be nice). However, I would like to park my car Wednesday afternoon and not go back to it until we leave Thursday afternoon, so it needs to be downtown somewhere (or across the river next to a bridge) where I can walk to anywhere I want to go.

 

2. Dinner Wednesday Night - Probably will eat early with the boy to give him a nice dinner before the game, as 7:35 is a little late for him to eat. Again, money not an object, neither is level of atmosphere, though only 7 he does equally well at the sports bar or the white linen tablecloth establishment, and he'll eat anything from chicken wings to foie gras. We probably prefer a steakhouse, an Italian joint, or even a downtown Gasthaus.

 

3. Thursday Morning - Something fun to do downtown for a couple of hours before going to the game?

 

All help duly appreciated in advance.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not really sure about other hotels, but there is a Travelodge literally across the river from the Ballpark. It isn't the nicest of hotels, but you would definitely be able to walk right across the bridge to the park.

 

You can easily walk to Newport on the Levee too where you can eat at several different restraunts. Lastly, you could go to the Newport Aquarium in the morning before the game. Very interesting and fun way to spend a couple of hours.

My 7 year-old and I are San Diego Padres fans, so as a birthday present I am bringing him into Cincinatti on July 29th and 30th to see the Reds and Padres. We will be arriving the afternoon of the 29th, check-in, get something to eat, see the 7:35 p.m. game, stay the night, piddle around the next morning, see the 12:35 p.m. Businessman's Special, and drive home. Neither of us has ever been to Great American Ballpark, and frankly I am just not very familiar with downtown Cincinatti.

 

I would like your best recommendations on the following:

 

1. Hotel - 1 night. Money is not an object (and for this event a 4-star might be nice). However, I would like to park my car Wednesday afternoon and not go back to it until we leave Thursday afternoon, so it needs to be downtown somewhere (or across the river next to a bridge) where I can walk to anywhere I want to go.

 

2. Dinner Wednesday Night - Probably will eat early with the boy to give him a nice dinner before the game, as 7:35 is a little late for him to eat. Again, money not an object, neither is level of atmosphere, though only 7 he does equally well at the sports bar or the white linen tablecloth establishment, and he'll eat anything from chicken wings to foie gras. We probably prefer a steakhouse, an Italian joint, or even a downtown Gasthaus.

 

3. Thursday Morning - Something fun to do downtown for a couple of hours before going to the game?

 

All help duly appreciated in advance.

 

Not from Cincy...But if Money is no Problem The Westin Downtown is the place to stay...

If you want to stay in a very nice hotel check out Cincinnati Marriott Rivercenter. It's on the Covington KY side, but it is very nice. You can leave your vehicle parked in the garage and walk to the stadium, or take a bus or taxi. I think parking is $15 per day. Comfort Inn in Bellevue is also a nice area. You will have Newport on the Levi, which is right down the street from the hotel. Both hotels are on the KY side of the river. I think Newport on the Levi has a game works section which your son might like. Not sure what time they open. There is a Dewey's pizza in the levey also.

Your better off parking on the KY side because of the Levee. I don't know how many hotels are over there outside of the Travelodge. It is certainly not a 4 star but doesn't look like a dump. But for a 7 year old the Levee will be really really cool to him.

 

It is within walking distance to the ball park, the bridge is literally right there. You are just mins away from the Levee and Aquarium as MJ said. You all could check out a movie at the Levee, go into Gameworks which is basically an arcade, do some shopping and I would recommend lunch at Jax's (which is attached to Gameworks). They have killer angus burgers, the best I have had since Dan Marino's down in Tampa.

 

The hotels on the Cincy side are much nicer but its gonna be a good walk to get to the Levee, then again you could take a bus or cab over the bridge it would be much easier to stay on the NKY side.

Your better off parking on the KY side because of the Levee. I don't know how many hotels are over there outside of the Travelodge. It is certainly not a 4 star but doesn't look like a dump. But for a 7 year old the Levee will be really really cool to him.

 

It is within walking distance to the ball park, the bridge is literally right there. You are just mins away from the Levee and Aquarium as MJ said. You all could check out a movie at the Levee, go into Gameworks which is basically an arcade, do some shopping and I would recommend lunch at Jax's (which is attached to Gameworks). They have killer angus burgers, the best I have had since Dan Marino's down in Tampa.

 

The hotels on the Cincy side are much nicer but its gonna be a good walk to get to the Levee, then again you could take a bus or cab over the bridge it would be much easier to stay on the NKY side.

 

You don't want to stay in the Travelodge. The Marriot Rivercenter in Covington or the Comfort Suites in Newport are your best bets on the KY side of the river. I have stayed at the Comfort Suites a few times & they are pretty nice. Rooms would be about $100 per night.

 

I agree with the sentiments about the Levee. I'd recommend the Newport Aquarium. It's normally a pretty good time for kids that age. You'll enjoy it, too. I'd recommend that you go on your own schedule though. I had a few family members who made it there bright & early to catch the "Penguin Parade" and they said it was a bust. They have a penguin exhibit anyway where you can see them at all times, I think.

You don't want to stay in the Travelodge. The Marriot Rivercenter in Covington or the Comfort Suites in Newport are your best bets on the KY side of the river. I have stayed at the Comfort Suites a few times & they are pretty nice. Rooms would be about $100 per night.

 

I agree with the sentiments about the Levee. I'd recommend the Newport Aquarium. It's normally a pretty good time for kids that age. You'll enjoy it, too. I'd recommend that you go on your own schedule though. I had a few family members who made it there bright & early to catch the "Penguin Parade" and they said it was a bust. They have a penguin exhibit anyway where you can see them at all times, I think.

 

Your probably right but there not in walking distance of the Levee are they? Wouldn't be a terrible cab rate though. Which one is down by the White Castle?

Your probably right but there not in walking distance of the Levee are they? Wouldn't be a terrible cab rate though. Which one is down by the White Castle?

 

 

Comfort Suites is a 15 minute walk from the Levee. Parking at the Levee isn't bad either, or you could just take a cab for less than $5. It's directly across the street from Party Source.

Travel Lodge is not a good place to stay, especially with a child.

Comfort Suites is a 15 minute walk from the Levee. Parking at the Levee isn't bad either, or you could just take a cab for less than $5. It's directly across the street from Party Source.

 

Oh ok i'm with ya now over by 471. Yeah that is a good idea.

Just an FYI. The Reds start their night games at 7:10...

I'd either do the Marriott or Embassy in Covington and park in the garage at those hotels. It's actually $8 for as long as you leave the car in the garage. Behle Street is right across the street and it's a pretty good Italian restaurant. Willie's is a sports bar pretty close but not walking distance. But during the week there are cabs outside of the Marriott all day long. If money isn't a concern get a riverview suite. You can see the river and both stadiums.

If you want to stay in a very nice hotel check out Cincinnati Marriott Rivercenter. It's on the Covington KY side, but it is very nice. You can leave your vehicle parked in the garage and walk to the stadium, or take a bus or taxi. I think parking is $15 per day. Comfort Inn in Bellevue is also a nice area. You will have Newport on the Levi, which is right down the street from the hotel. Both hotels are on the KY side of the river. I think Newport on the Levi has a game works section which your son might like. Not sure what time they open. There is a Dewey's pizza in the levey also.

 

 

If money is not an option, I would give the Marriot River Center a two thumbs up. Ask for a riverview room (which in this economy should not be a problem).

 

As far as dinner is concerned, there is a very ugly Hotel close by called the Raddison. It looks like a giant electric curler. I hesitate to suggest this as an additional place to stay. It used to be a nice place with a view of the river. Unfortunately I cannot vouch for the quality of the rooms. It has been under a new management.

 

However, on top of the hotel is a revolving restaurant which my kids have always enjoyed going to. It literally moves as you eat so you see the entire Northern Ky, Cincy area. Last time I was there it was a bit pricey, but fun.

 

Another suggestion would be Willy's Sports Bar which is also in Covington. The usual sports bar food, but with a good view of the city and lots of TVs and video games.

 

 

The above wiil give great views of the Cincinnati Riverfront. However, as GaViking said, kids love Newport on the Levy. Deweys Pizza is good.

 

All of the above are a close walk/cab ride to the ball park. As someone who had lived in this area all my life, I can honestly say......for fun and SAFTEY, stay over on the KY side and visit Ohio.

 

Let us know what you did and what you think. Have fun!

I think I'd stay at the River Center.

The revolving restaurant is Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront. It is nice, however I think your both you and your son would be happier in either Comfort Inn in Bellevue or Cincinnati Marriott Rivercenter. You can walk the bridge to the games if you want to. I have to agree with Beechwood Fan, stay on the KY side of the river.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.