Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Saul Smith's Facebook Status

Featured Replies

I never was a fan of Saul. I think he sat the program back a couple years, and hindered us from getting any so called blue chip point gaurds while he was here. I love how Cliff Hawkins suffered from asthma during his Freshmen, Saul's Senior year, and as soon as Saul leaves, it's never mentioned again.

 

I remember it being mentioned all the way up to Cliff's last year. He still would get winded. I was told that they tried several different medicines and finally found something that worked better by the time his junior season rolled around.

 

As far as Saul, ... he only started 1/2 his games at UK and Pitino had no PGs coming to UK to take over after Turner graduated. Everybody ignores that fact, ... there wasn't another PG on the roster except Turner when Tubby came. Like I said, that's where the issue started, and other coaches (wisely so) took advantage over the next few years. UK was lucky to get Hawkins and if I remember correctly, had to battle pretty hard to pick him up.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember it being mentioned all the way up to Cliff's last year. He still would get winded. I was told that they tried several different medicines and finally found something that worked better by the time his junior season rolled around.

 

As far as Saul, ... he only started 1/2 his games at UK and Pitino had no PGs coming to UK to take over after Turner graduated. Everybody ignores that fact, ... there wasn't another PG on the roster except Turner when Tubby came. Like I said, that's where the issue started, and other coaches (wisely so) took advantage over the next few years. UK was lucky to get Hawkins and if I remember correctly, had to battle pretty hard to pick him up.

 

 

Of course they did. No good prospect is going to come to UK knowing they'll have to sit behind the coaches mediocre son. Tubby had a year to recruit a PG before he left, and he ignored it. I'm just not a big fan of King Saul.

[/b]

 

 

Of course they did. No good prospect is going to come to UK knowing they'll have to sit behind the coaches mediocre son. Tubby had a year to recruit a PG before he left, and he ignored it. I'm just not a big fan of King Saul.

 

Me either...the way he treated David was totally uncalled for.

[/b]

 

 

Of course they did. No good prospect is going to come to UK knowing they'll have to sit behind the coaches mediocre son. Tubby had a year to recruit a PG before he left, and he ignored it. I'm just not a big fan of King Saul.

 

My question is why does Pitino get none of the blame for not having another PG on the roster when he left? He had no top notch recruits coming in either. If he did, who were they?

My question is why does Pitino get none of the blame for not having another PG on the roster when he left? He had no top notch recruits coming in either. If he did, who were they?

 

Because nobody can say whether Pitino would have landed a good PG for the season following Turner's departure. He would have had WT for the '97-98 season, so he would have had that season to recruit someone to fill the void.

 

Besides that, if he knew he was ready to leave, why would he worry about it?

I never was a fan of Saul. I think he sat the program back a couple years, and hindered us from getting any so called blue chip point gaurds while he was here. I love how Cliff Hawkins suffered from asthma during his Freshmen, Saul's Senior year, and as soon as Saul leaves, it's never mentioned again.

 

I believe you have selective hearing. My wife says I have that.:D

Because nobody can say whether Pitino would have landed a good PG for the season following Turner's departure. He would have had WT for the '97-98 season, so he would have had that season to recruit someone to fill the void.

 

Besides that, if he knew he was ready to leave, why would he worry about it?

 

And that is acceptable? There wasn't even another decent PG on that roster besides Turner. And honestly, he didn't have any real talent coming in as it was. I think the fruits of that magical 2 year run he had in '96 & '97 actually hurt him in recruiting.

I believe you have selective hearing. My wife says I have that.:D

 

My wife says the same thing. Then I ask to repeat it, and I just get slapped!

My question is why does Pitino get none of the blame for not having another PG on the roster when he left? He had no top notch recruits coming in either. If he did, who were they?

 

Why would he, he had Wayne Turner for another year, and no doubt he knew he was bolting to Boston. Why didn't Tubs go after a good PG for the year after Turner left? Could it be he wanted Elephant Man to run the show?

Me either...the way he treated David was totally uncalled for.

 

Agreed. And what's the deal with all those wives?

It was his father that could not keep up the good work at UK. I did not like Tubby and I'm glad he left.

Far too many good posts to quote. Excellent debating with strong points on both sides and even better quips. This thread has it all!::ylsuper:

Pitino's last two seasons at UK were not stellar recruiting efforts to say the least!

 

Saul made multiple posts about this yesterday!

Nice one, Saul. I suppose your Dad's integrity remained 100% intact after the amazing "Randolph Morris" fax discovery.

 

I had respect for Saul-ball until that stupid comment.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.