Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Saul Smith's Facebook Status

Featured Replies

Here is Saul Smith's Facebook Status from Thursday. It's since been deleted.

Thoughts?

 

"Bad bad day for my alma mater. The UK athletic program will never

regain its true champion nature with Businessmen running it.

Never, no matter how many so called blue chip players you bring in. You can't

sacrifice your integrity for success. You just can't do it. I'm an alum and I deserve a clean-ran program, plain and simple. Period, and if anyone disagrees, you, my friend, shouldn't support the program I played 4."

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be some sour grapes, but some truth to it too.

Give me a break, Saul! It's hard to regain your "true champion nature" with nepotism, as well!

I am surprised by these comments. I always admired Saul and the heart with which he played the game. But he is entitled to his opinion as are we. I just disagree with his stance on the matter.

Give me a break, Saul! It's hard to regain your "true champion nature" with nepotism, as well!

 

Good thing that no other coaches would ever hire their sons as assistant coaches.

That's disappointing for me to read. Regardless of his feelings on who's coaching at UK or how the program is run, I would think he's old enough and mature enough to not appear so bitter. Bottom line, Saul isn't like any other alumni. His dad was a coach here. His dad wasn't treated fairly according to many and left with some ill feelings. Saul isn't able to be an unbiased judge of the program. He should be wise enough at this age to realize that.

In future years, that deleted facebook status could very well prove prophetic.

Good thing that no other coaches would ever hire their sons as assistant coaches.

 

I'm referring to his point guard years at UK. He only played because his father was the coach, period. I'm not saying he didn't conduct himself well and he didn't do a decent job--but it was nepotism plain and simple. He really shouldn't be tossing stones now and talking about true champion nature, IMO.

This is hilarious. It's Memphis on trial here not KY. And another thing, does anybody really give two hoots about Saul Smith or anything he says. He looks like the Elephant Man.

Give me a break, Saul! It's hard to regain your "true champion nature" with nepotism, as well!

 

Or with your dad as coach...:idunno::deadhorse:

Here is Saul Smith's Facebook Status from Thursday. It's since been deleted.

Thoughts?

 

"Bad bad day for my alma mater. The UK athletic program will never

regain its true champion nature with Businessmen running it.

Never, no matter how many so called blue chip players you bring in. You can't

sacrifice your integrity for success. You just can't do it. I'm an alum and I deserve a clean-ran program, plain and simple. Period, and if anyone disagrees, you, my friend, shouldn't support the program I played 4."

 

Ah, just another reason for me to not like Saul Smith.

What the heck is Saul talking about here. "so called blue chip players" Is he saying those recruits aren't that good? Sure John Wall is no Saul Smith, but cut the kid a break.

I'm referring to his point guard years at UK. He only played because his father was the coach, period. I'm not saying he didn't conduct himself well and he didn't do a decent job--but it was nepotism plain and simple. He really shouldn't be tossing stones now and talking about true champion nature, IMO.

 

He was UK for approximately 143 games. He started around 1/2 of those and I believe is #10 all time in UK in assists. He was behind Turner as a freshman. If Saul didn't come, Pitino left no backup and no recruits coming. If I am wrong, please tell me who? Then other college coaches used Saul being there against UK in the recruitment battle for PGs. Understandable and to be expected. There wasn't another option. If Tubby wasn't his dad would he have been playing at UK? No. But same could be said about NUMEROUS other players over the years who played for their fathers.

 

I do agree 110% that he shouldn't be throwing stones. I always admired him and all the crap he had to put up with while at UK, but this knocked him down a peg or two in my book.

What the heck is Saul talking about here. "so called blue chip players" Is he saying those recruits aren't that good? Sure John Wall is no Saul Smith, but cut the kid a break.

 

:lol:

 

I always liked Saul and the way he played, but I have to admit, THAT is funny! I think Wall probably is beyond the 'so called blue chip' status, but maybe it's just me!

I never was a fan of Saul. I think he sat the program back a couple years, and hindered us from getting any so called blue chip point gaurds while he was here. I love how Cliff Hawkins suffered from asthma during his Freshmen, Saul's Senior year, and as soon as Saul leaves, it's never mentioned again.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.