Lacrosse in KY

jpa2825

Growing up in Maryland, lacrosse was BIG at the high school I attended. It was required as part of Phys. Ed. Our coach was (and still is) in the lacrosse HOF when I was in school in the early 1970s.

My understanding is that Title IX is the reason it isn't sanctioned in Kentucky right now. The KHSAA would have to sanction another girls sport which uses an equal number of players to satisfy Title IX.

Personally, I know very little about Lacrosse, but have watched a little on TV. It looks like a very exciting game.

My understanding is that Title IX is the reason it isn't sanctioned in Kentucky right now. The KHSAA would have to sanction another girls sport which uses an equal number of players to satisfy Title IX.

Personally, I know very little about Lacrosse, but have watched a little on TV. It looks like a very exciting game.

There are girls Lacrosse teams in KY. Mercy & Assumption have them, and Manual, and I believe Seneca. I'd assume that Sacred Heart has one as well. It shouldn't be a problem to offer girls lacrosse if there is a boys program, IMO.

I think lacrosse is an awesome sport and would have loved to play it in high school. I think I would have been pretty decent at it as well.

For the schools that do have it...is it played in the spring?

When lacrosse is on television, they usually talk about how many of the players played high school football in the fall and then lacrosse in the spring. I'd expect something similar if Kentucky adopted the sport.

Not sure of the percentage but if a certain number of schools sponsor a sport in Kentucky and you petition the KHSAA to sponsor it, then they have to....I could be totally wrong on that though.

With as big of a sport as field hockey is in the Louisville area, I don't see why field hockey can't be sponsored for girls and lacrosse for boys. I could be wrong but I think they only college in Kentucky that sponsors both men's lacrosse and women's field hockey is Bellarmine while UofL sponsors women's field hockey.

There are girls Lacrosse teams in KY. Mercy & Assumption have them, and Manual, and I believe Seneca. I'd assume that Sacred Heart has one as well. It shouldn't be a problem to offer girls lacrosse if there is a boys program, IMO.

I think that would be a great idea!!! I would love to see 2 more sports in high school in Kentucky!

Boys semifinals in the Kentucky league were last night.

Collegiate beat Trinity 8-7 in a heartbreaker last night. Rocks were down 8-3 going to the final quarter and managed four goals before coming up just short.

St. X was definitely in the other semifinal but I don't know against whom or which team won. The Tigers won the league regular season outright and have been the best team all year. *Updated: St. X won last night. I think it was against Lexington Catholic. St. Xavier will play Collegiate on Friday night at Trinity for the state championship.

It's an interesting sport to follow but it has a fairly steep learning curve up front (there are times I still can't follow what's going on and that's after watching my brother play for four years). My complaint: for all the pads they wear, I wish they hit each other more. What can I say... I'm a lifelong hockey fan.

When lacrosse is on television, they usually talk about how many of the players played high school football in the fall and then lacrosse in the spring. I'd expect something similar if Kentucky adopted the sport.

I agree 100% :thumb: