Elliott County 92 Ashland 59

I was sitting with several coaches that felt he should put all his starters back in! Like I said before, concession is a two way street.
That would have been worse than stupid, If Mayes lets one of these starters get injured with a 30pt lead, the Steve Bartman eposide with the Cubs will look like a choir practice.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would have been worse than stupid, If Mayes lets one of these starters get injured with a 30pt lead, the Steve Bartman eposide with the Cubs will look like a choir practice.

You guys are beating a dead horse. He's not going to change the way he does things so why discuss it after every game. :isurrender:

You guys are beating a dead horse. He's not going to change the way he does things so why discuss it after every game. :isurrender:

Thank you!!!!:thumb: THis being :notworthy:Coach Mays:notworthy: last season as COACH,,,he's not going to change now.:isurrender:

SmileyCentral.comimage.gifCoach Mays riding off into the sun set.

JPP,we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. With a 30pt lead and absolutely no chance of making a comeback,why would you risk injury to one of your stars to score style points? APB is not even close to being in EC's class. Let them press all they want. It doesn't matter in the end whether you win by 34,or 24. The idea is to win and advance. I want to see EC play on Saturday in Rupp. I don't want to see unnecessary risk taking.

I don't think Mays was trying to score any style points. Ashland was down 25+ and they were pressing with their starters. Its hard to call off the dogs when that's the case.

He also became second in all time made threes in the tourney tonight and likes nine getting to number one and I dont believe that will happen.

Tyler Zornes

Passing an old teammate, Tyler Maynard.

I don't think Mays was trying to score any style points. Ashland was down 25+ and they were pressing with their starters. Its hard to call off the dogs when that's the case.

:thumb: You are right, you can't call off the dogs when the other team is pressing full court with their starters.

:thumb: You are right, you can't call off the dogs when the other team is pressing full court with their starters.

I mean, Mays is a good guy and there's no way he would let a varsity team lay it on his j.v. squad - regardless of the score. I have no problems with him leaving starters in in that situation. If you want to play against the j.v. squad, then put your own j.v. squad in and call it a night.

I mean, Mays is a good guy and there's no way he would let a varsity team lay it on his j.v. squad - regardless of the score. I have no problems with him leaving starters in in that situation. If you want to play against the j.v. squad, then put your own j.v. squad in and call it a night.

:thumb: I agree 100%. He was doing as he always does by taking a few starters out at a time and the Tomcats fouled C. Knipp hard on the baseline and didn't offer to help him up, I knew at that moment that Ethan and Ferg were coming back in, and I don't blame Coach Mays one bit.

:thumb: I agree 100%. He was doing as he always does by taking a few starters out at a time and the Tomcats fouled C. Knipp hard on the baseline and didn't offer to help him up, I knew at that moment that Ethan and Ferg were coming back in, and I don't blame Coach Mays one bit.

I have to agree. I am with the other poster that said its a two-way street.:thumb:

Being a football guy and on the sidelines at Raceland, I have a good example of what you guys are debating. Coaches Vanderhoof and Maynard are very classy men and call the dogs off early in the 3rd qtr of many games that we could name our score, but this past season at East Carter, we had 3rd stringers in the game in the 3rd qtr and East still had their starters in the game. Now, we were holding our own and the win was not in doubt, however, East laid a devastating hit on a Sophmore receiver and decided to stand over him and celebrate the hit. Coach Maynard said some things I won't repeat here and told the starters to get ready for defense. After 2 successive plays of loss of yardage, he put the 3rd stringers back in the game. This was done to let East know something. They didn't change their tactics, but it sure made them quit celebrating vicious hits on our Freshmen and Sophmores.

I applaud Coach Mays and the way he called the game. Look, Ashland was up 18 with 6 minutes left in the game against Rowan and ended up playing in overtime. Anything can happen when a team has time and is pressing. So why would anyone think that the coach wouldn't do what was in the best interest of protecting the lead and the win?

You also have to look at it as Ashland did not quit. Something to be said for not rolling over. Its a regional semi final, try anything you can to get the W.

Exactly. If you have not conceded the game, then the other team has to play to win as well.:thumb: