Elliott County 92 Ashland 59

With a 30pt lead into the 4th quarter,I was shocked to see 3 EC starters still in the game. Coach Mays was risking a lot when the game had been over since early in the 3d quarter. EC has bigger fish to fry than these weak 16th Region teams. He needs to get his priorities straight. I was waiting for a cheap shot late in that game with the outcome never in doubt....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a 30pt lead into the 4th quarter,I was shocked to see 3 EC starters still in the game. Coach Mays was risking a lot when the game had been over since early in the 3d quarter. EC has bigger fish to fry than these weak 16th Region teams. He needs to get his priorities straight. I was waiting for a cheap shot late in that game with the outcome never in doubt....

Welcome to the site kyoilman :thumb:

After playing much of the third and fourth with three subs and Ashland full court pressing, I was a bit surprised they didnt put the starting lineup back in. Ethan eventually went back in to relieve some pressure, but concession is a two way street.

I also thought it was a risky move to keep EC starters in with the win obviously sealed, however, I hope you are not insinuating that any Ashland player would deliberately take a "cheap shot" at an opposing player. I'm sure the Ashland kids wish the EC boys well and are proud to have a strong team represent the 16th at the state tourney.

Thanks Wireman. Really enjoy watching EC. They looked sloppy tonight, but it seems as if they play to the level of their competition. I come down from Columbus to watch EC several times this year. They are a basketball junkies dream team. I would love to hear how some of the old timers compare them to some of the elite 16th Region teams of the past....

:popcorn:Congrats Elliott County:thumb::dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::ylsuper::ylsuper::thumb:

TruBlu, it would appear to me that EC was rubbing APB's nose in it a bit. I just think that Coach Mays needed to get his core players off the floor after the outcome was no longer in doubt. I agree that everybody here in the 16th should be proud of what EC has accomplished. I love watching them play. They do it the right way. Hard nosed defense,with an all out assault on offense.

:popcorn:Congrats Elliott County:thumb::dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::ylsuper::ylsuper::thumb:

So what are you going to do with yourself next year,Wont be able to put all these big smileys and caps on here?Congrats to the Lions.:D

TruBlu, it would appear to me that EC was rubbing APB's nose in it a bit. I just think that Coach Mays needed to get his core players off the floor after the outcome was no longer in doubt. I agree that everybody here in the 16th should be proud of what EC has accomplished. I love watching them play. They do it the right way. Hard nosed defense,with an all out assault on offense.

Biggs kept pressing and I have known Coach for years and he will not sit the starters as long as other team is pressing and I dont blame him!! Course we both are old fashioned!!!!!!!!!!:taz::taz:

If I am not mistaken Ferguson needs 15 points tomorrow night to become the all-time leading scorer in the 16th region tournament. passing I believe Kelly Wells from Rowan County.

He also became second in all time made threes in the tourney tonight and likes nine getting to number one and I dont believe that will happen.

Tyler Zornes

Biggs kept pressing and I have known Coach for years and he will not sit the starters as long as other team is pressing and I dont blame him!! Course we both are old fashioned!!!!!!!!!!:taz::taz:

I was sitting with several coaches that felt he should put all his starters back in! Like I said before, concession is a two way street.

JPP,we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. With a 30pt lead and absolutely no chance of making a comeback,why would you risk injury to one of your stars to score style points? APB is not even close to being in EC's class. Let them press all they want. It doesn't matter in the end whether you win by 34,or 24. The idea is to win and advance. I want to see EC play on Saturday in Rupp. I don't want to see unnecessary risk taking.

Congrats to Elliot Co. on the win. :thumb:

Also, congrats to Ashland on a fine season, you represented your school well and there is certainly no shame in losing to Elliot Co..:thumb:

One thought on the alleged "running it up", I wasn't at the game but one thing that I can say about leaving the starters in would be that it was taking chance on inury to one or me front line starters when the game was well in hand. I would hate to see one or more of the Elliot kids be injured (and it could happen in a heartbeat) and be out for the remainder of the regional and state tournament run they have worked so hard for. Every team is only one play (knee, ankle,etc.) away from the season ending for any player.

Again, just something to think about. I don't have a "dog in the fight", am not trying to be all doom and gloom or not judging anyone on running up a score or not running it up. I was just stating that it would be a shame for a kid to get hurt and possibly end his h.s. carrer (if a senior) when playing when the game was well in hand and not needed.

Good luck to Elliot and to Lewis in the championship and may both teams stay injury free.

JPP,we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. With a 30pt lead and absolutely no chance of making a comeback,why would you risk injury to one of your stars to score style points? APB is not even close to being in EC's class. Let them press all they want. It doesn't matter in the end whether you win by 34,or 24. The idea is to win and advance. I want to see EC play on Saturday in Rupp. I don't want to see unnecessary risk taking.
It was obvious Tim Knipps ankle was bothering him his shot did not look good at all.