February 10, 200917 yr So because baseball didn't have any laws against it then they should be forgiven and allowed into the HOF? What's worse...breaking a federal law, or a rule put into place by MLB? I'm going to have to go with the former. FWIW, I think if they are worthy (steroids or not) they should be placed in the Hall. That goes for Mr. Rose also. I agree 100% with this statement :thumb:
February 10, 200917 yr And I don't want to hear about Pete Rose ... he violated one of baseball's most strident rules. Baseball didn't have any rules regarding performance enhancers until recently, and much of this stuff is about players trying to gain an edge. It's the same reason that hitters have used corked bats and pitchers have defaced baseballs. Yes they did. What they didn't have was a testing program and a legitimate and sincere penalty program. And, yes, it's ALL about players trying to gain an edge - an unfair competitive edge over their peers by illegally taking drugs they knew were banned. A good chunk of their stats, and therefore their records, are meaningless in my book.
February 10, 200917 yr Yes they did. What they didn't have was a testing program and a legitimate and sincere penalty program. And, yes, it's ALL about players trying to gain an edge - an unfair competitive edge over their peers by illegally taking drugs they knew were banned. A good chunk of their stats, and therefore their records, are meaningless in my book. The first actual rules in Major League Baseball regarding performance enhancing drugs came about right around 2003 or 2004.
February 10, 200917 yr The first actual rules in Major League Baseball regarding performance enhancing drugs came about right around 2003 or 2004. That's when the union finally agreed to accept them. Baseball had for years issued a ruling that illegal use of performance enhancing drugs was not permitted. Which is kind of obvious anyways, since using them without a valid prescription was a violation of federal law.
February 10, 200917 yr The records are still tainted but I have alot of respect for A-Rod for coming out and admitting his use.
February 10, 200917 yr The records are still tainted but I have alot of respect for A-Rod for coming out and admitting his use. He didn't really "come out". He was outed and didn't particularly have much choice. Granted, he could have pulled a McGwire and not said anything at all, but that hasn't worked out too well in the court of public opinion for McGwire. And denying it wasn't really much of an option either since the tests were conclusive. (Although, of course, he did deny it publicly over the past few years). It's kind of like asking your child if they ate the candy bar missing from the pantry that you told them not to touch and they deny it over and over until you find the wrapper under their bed and they eventually confess.
February 10, 200917 yr That's when the union finally agreed to accept them. Baseball had for years issued a ruling that illegal use of performance enhancing drugs was not permitted. Which is kind of obvious anyways, since using them without a valid prescription was a violation of federal law. :thumb: Thats the only part that really matters
February 10, 200917 yr This gives me no more or no less respect for A-Rod. He may end up with all the records but due to his attitude, lack of performance in the clutch, disapperance in the postseason (I mean honestly his biggest postseason moment was slapping the ball out of Bronson's hand like a little girl in '04) and off the field infidelities, he'll never be "the best ever" it wasn't going to happen before and this just cements it. Let him keep hitting his homers and cashing paychecks, I'm SO GLAD that the Red Sox didn't make that trade to get him for Manny. Manny may be a nut and easily manipulated by Boras but he did help the Sox win 2 Rings. I'm pretty certain they'd be right there with the Cubs if not for Manny. I'm glad that the Yankees have him and are committed to him for the length of his contract.
February 10, 200917 yr Where did I ever say I agreed with it? :idunno:I didn't say that you did, and sorry if I inferred it. I was simply commenting on the premise that this should disqualify Rodriguez from consideration. Also what in the world does Pete Rose have to do with anything? That man is about the biggest lowlife loser in the history of organized sports. It's embarrassing that so many people in Cincinnati worship him.Call it a pre-emptive strike ... I figured one of the Reds fans here would bring him up.
February 10, 200917 yr Neither AROD or any known steroid user should be in the HOF. You have to be punished for your crime. If you opt to cheat America's past time you should be punished harshly. He still walks alway with his 250 million he will be ok.If we're not letting Bonds and Rodriguez in, are we taking Perry out of the Hall? And what about the players that were taking "greenies" in the 60s?
February 10, 200917 yr This gives me no more or no less respect for A-Rod. He may end up with all the records but due to his attitude, lack of performance in the clutch, disapperance in the postseason (I mean honestly his biggest postseason moment was slapping the ball out of Bronson's hand like a little girl in '04) and off the field infidelities, he'll never be "the best ever" it wasn't going to happen before and this just cements it. Let him keep hitting his homers and cashing paychecks, I'm SO GLAD that the Red Sox didn't make that trade to get him for Manny. Manny may be a nut and easily manipulated by Boras but he did help the Sox win 2 Rings. I'm pretty certain they'd be right there with the Cubs if not for Manny. I'm glad that the Yankees have him and are committed to him for the length of his contract.Spoken like a true Red Sox fan ... :lol:
February 10, 200917 yr If we're not letting Bonds and Rodriguez in, are we taking Perry out of the Hall? And what about the players that were taking "greenies" in the 60s? What's a greenie
February 10, 200917 yr This gives me no more or no less respect for A-Rod. He may end up with all the records but due to his attitude, lack of performance in the clutch, disapperance in the postseason (I mean honestly his biggest postseason moment was slapping the ball out of Bronson's hand like a little girl in '04) and off the field infidelities, he'll never be "the best ever" it wasn't going to happen before and this just cements it. Let him keep hitting his homers and cashing paychecks, I'm SO GLAD that the Red Sox didn't make that trade to get him for Manny. Manny may be a nut and easily manipulated by Boras but he did help the Sox win 2 Rings. I'm pretty certain they'd be right there with the Cubs if not for Manny. I'm glad that the Yankees have him and are committed to him for the length of his contract. This is funny. Aren't you a Red Sox fan. Gee imagine that kicking a Yankee while he is down.:lol: His career isn't over by the way. He is still playing as far as I know which means he will probably have more chances in the clutch.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.