February 10, 200917 yr He is no better than Bonds, Mac, Clemens or the others when it's all said and done! No one was actually caught and suspended, but his legacy should be remembered no different than the others. He cheated to be at the top of his game after getting that $252 million so the guys who said bonds records should be followed by an asterick, I'm hoping will say the same for A Rod! I'm betting once the other 100+ names are mentioned or exposed that we will be surprised!
February 10, 200917 yr Spoken like a true Red Sox fan ... :lol: But what in there ISN'T the truth? :sssh:
February 10, 200917 yr This is funny. Aren't you a Red Sox fan. Gee imagine that kicking a Yankee while he is down.:lol: His career isn't over by the way. He is still playing as far as I know which means he will probably have more chances in the clutch.\ So what are you defending? His Steroid abuse? His postseason stats? Maybe his slapping of the ball in 2004? By the way he reacted to that just like he did to this steroid story. He raised his hands as if to say, "Who Me?" yet he was exposed then just like now. Seems like a lot of Yankees, Giambi, Clemens, Pettitte, A-Rod were on the juice.
February 10, 200917 yr I think A-Rod and Bonds are indeed HOF calibre players without steroids. Leaving aside the whole debate of whether players who are confirmed to have used steroids should or should not be automatically excluded from the HOF, one of the biggest issues I have is knowing that they have set records - records that very well may stand forever - by cheating. It's unfair to the 99.9% of the rest of baseball players throughout the history of the game who chose to do it the right way and not gain an unfair competitive advantage. Hank Aaron didn't use steroids. He should be baseball's all-time HR king, not a size 9 1/2" hat-wearing, drug enhanced egomaniac like Bonds. Amen, A-Rod was already a great offensive player and a decent glove as well, I think he averaged 37 homeruns a season with .315 batting average while in Seattle. It would have been neat to see A-Rod and Griffey both play together with Ichiro and a decent pitching staff such as Felix Hernandez, they could have pulled down a couple of titles by now IMO. And I think Barry Bonds was already one of the best defensive Outfielders in the game before he swelled up like a blimp, he was a great contact hitter, baserunner and base stealer as well, both were on their way to the HOF without the roids IMO. I don't think A-Rod will break Bonds' record now, and at one point I thought he'd get 1,000. I see him getting hurt and having an injury-plagued remainder of his career. The question now is who will be the favorite to break Bonds' record? I think Pujols or Howard have the best shot, but it may never be broken. Hamilton would have shattered it had he came into the league 6 years earlier IMO.
February 10, 200917 yr Amen, A-Rod was already a great offensive player and a decent glove as well, I think he averaged 37 homeruns a season with .315 batting average while in Seattle. It would have been neat to see A-Rod and Griffey both play together with Ichiro and a decent pitching staff such as Felix Hernandez, they could have pulled down a couple of titles by now IMO. And I think Barry Bonds was already one of the best defensive Outfielders in the game before he swelled up like a blimp, he was a great contact hitter, baserunner and base stealer as well, both were on their way to the HOF without the roids IMO. I don't think A-Rod will break Bonds' record now, and at one point I thought he'd get 1,000. I see him getting hurt and having an injury-plagued remainder of his career. The question now is who will be the favorite to break Bonds' record? I think Pujols or Howard have the best shot, but it may never be broken. Hamilton would have shattered it had he came into the league 6 years earlier IMO. I think you're missing the fact that Howard is already 29 years old and only has 177 homers. He'd have to average 60 per year for the next 10 years to get close. He isn't breaking it. Pujols is 3 months younger and has 162 more homers.
February 10, 200917 yr As more and more stars are getting exposed, I believe the hall may take an opposite viewpoint. If it appears that a great number of players were using, with pressure to use to keep up, it may get to the point that noone is penalized for using, at least as far as getting into the Hall is concerned.
February 10, 200917 yr Well, supposedly ... :lol: Lol, but he does have A LOT more homers. Howard isn't breaking it and I think Pujols has suffered from some of the side effects of steroids with his tendons already so he isn't a sure thing either. He did make it to the big leagues before they had testing in the minors so even though he has been this big all along, who knows if it was natural.
February 10, 200917 yr A-Rod's admission does not right a wrong but I do him him credit for being man enough to come clean about it. I wish that he would have done so in the Couric interview earlier but as the overused saying goes...."it is what it is". (I don't know if would tell Katie Couric:rolleyes: anything myself) Admission does not make it right but it does (in my mind) make the situation better than say a Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Palmeiro along with others that continue to lie about it. (and if any are proven telling the truth I will be the first to apologize). Had mark McGuire came clean and not put on that charade that he did at that hearing he probably would be in the HOF right now. JMO Another thing is that it is obvious to me why A-Rod's name was brought out from a list of a reported 100+ players or so that tested positive on what was supposed to be "protected" list and confidential testing. His name sells the most magazines ans gets more to tune into these radio shows than some others might do. That is wrong on the part of whoever brought his name out w/o others, be it someone in the MLB union or from the media or both. That in no way excuses A-Rod, just shows what some others in the press & media are made of...........not much imo.
February 10, 200917 yr Seems like a lot of Yankees, Giambi, Clemens, Pettitte, A-Rod were on the juice. So all Red Sox were, are and have always been clean :confused:? O.K..... This just in...No Boston Red Sox player has ever used steriods or any HGH, they are the only clean organization of players in MLB. :notworthy::lol: This thread is about A-Rod though so I apologize for getting off topic, I just found that statement funny.
February 10, 200917 yr The game of baseball has been hurt by the way this has been handled. I just wished that Major League baseball would have said “What is done is done. We will test from here on out.” Bud Selig made about 17 million dollars last year. The home run race with McGwire and Sammy Sosa brought fans back to the game. Major League Baseball has financially been flourishing. I am not condoning individuals shirking responsibility, but what about MLB turning their eyes the other way when it financially helped them? Now the government has spent a lot of money investigating all of this. Who did leak A-Rod’s name to SI? What was the agenda? I think A-Rod has accepted that steroids were part of the culture at a certain time period. He is saying what he feels he needs to say to keep his name clean. He met with Scoot Boras for advice. McGwire did not fare well for taking the fifth, and look at Clemens and Bonds. Petit has made out well. What about the rest of the names on the list?
February 10, 200917 yr For those who are without sin....throw the first stone. He has been clean for several years. He was told he was clean back 2003. He had an injury. He was young. He was wrong. Lets hope that all players see this and learn.
February 10, 200917 yr For those who are without sin....throw the first stone. He has been clean for several years. He was told he was clean back 2003. He had an injury. He was young. He was wrong. Lets hope that all players see this and learn. Amen! :thumb:
February 10, 200917 yr I think you're missing the fact that Howard is already 29 years old and only has 177 homers. He'd have to average 60 per year for the next 10 years to get close. He isn't breaking it. Pujols is 3 months younger and has 162 more homers. yeah, I realize that after I posted, Shoulda done my research. I forgot Howard came in the league when he was about 26. I will tell you one thing, I dislike A-Rod because he was a Yankee, I'm a Braves fan , but after watching that interview for 4,000th time on SportsCenter; I actually respect him now and will root for him. He is a cheater but he is the first person that has been face with these charges, manned up and admitted he was wrong. That takes some courage.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.