February 9, 200917 yr Doesn't care? Or doesn't really have a choice? He has only two options - keep silent or confess his usage. Neither are very appealing. If he truly did have a third option - to claim he never used - he would take it. Baseball was his life for many years. Very unlikely someone would sit back and let their name, reputation, and accomplishments be sullied and not defend yourself - if you truly did have a defense.I really don't think McGwire cares one way or the other.
February 9, 200917 yr We can cross ARod's name off the HOF list now....Which is a ridiculous premise ... Mel Kiper made the argument on ESPN Radio this weekend that if guys like Bonds and A-Rod are left out of the Hall of Fame, then eventually the Hall of Fame loses credibility. It is supposed to include the very best players in the history of the game, and those two clearly are in that category. And I don't want to hear about Pete Rose ... he violated one of baseball's most strident rules. Baseball didn't have any rules regarding performance enhancers until recently, and much of this stuff is about players trying to gain an edge. It's the same reason that hitters have used corked bats and pitchers have defaced baseballs. If Bonds, A-Rod and the like are going to be denied, then when is Gaylord Perry's plaque going to be removed?
February 9, 200917 yr Which is a ridiculous premise ... Mel Kiper made the argument on ESPN Radio this weekend that if guys like Bonds and A-Rod are left out of the Hall of Fame, then eventually the Hall of Fame loses credibility. It is supposed to include the very best players in the history of the game, and those two clearly are in that category. And I don't want to hear about Pete Rose ... he violated one of baseball's most strident rules. Baseball didn't have any rules regarding performance enhancers until recently, and much of this stuff is about players trying to gain an edge. It's the same reason that hitters have used corked bats and pitchers have defaced baseballs. If Bonds, A-Rod and the like are going to be denied, then when is Gaylord Perry's plaque going to be removed? Neither AROD or any known steroid user should be in the HOF. You have to be punished for your crime. If you opt to cheat America's past time you should be punished harshly. He still walks alway with his 250 million he will be ok.
February 9, 200917 yr Which is a ridiculous premise ... Mel Kiper made the argument on ESPN Radio this weekend that if guys like Bonds and A-Rod are left out of the Hall of Fame, then eventually the Hall of Fame loses credibility. It is supposed to include the very best players in the history of the game, and those two clearly are in that category. And I don't want to hear about Pete Rose ... he violated one of baseball's most strident rules. Baseball didn't have any rules regarding performance enhancers until recently, and much of this stuff is about players trying to gain an edge. It's the same reason that hitters have used corked bats and pitchers have defaced baseballs. If Bonds, A-Rod and the like are going to be denied, then when is Gaylord Perry's plaque going to be removed? Where did I ever say I agreed with it? :idunno: I see no reason why Bonds and ARod shouldn't be in, as they were both in before they ever used. The way things have gone since the steroid era though, is that they're not electing the supposed users. Also what in the world does Pete Rose have to do with anything? That man is about the biggest lowlife loser in the history of organized sports. It's embarrassing that so many people in Cincinnati worship him.
February 9, 200917 yr I've always liked A-Rod but after this it will be hard for me to ever look at him the same way and think highly of his accomplishments.
February 9, 200917 yr Another sad day for MLB. I would have respected A-Rod more, if he would have been the one to disclose his usage, rather than admitting he did it after it was discovered. I always have remembered the following quote: “Character is doing the right thing when. no one is watching.” J.C. Watts. Is there anyone that plays, we can admire anymore.
February 9, 200917 yr Another sad day for MLB. I would have respected A-Rod more, if he would have been the one to disclose his usage, rather than admitting he did it after it was discovered. I always have remembered the following quote: “Character is doing the right thing when. no one is watching.” J.C. Watts. Is there anyone that plays, we can admire anymore. How bout Junior?
February 10, 200917 yr I give him credit for admitting and manning up and not being a coward like sammy sosa, rafael palmiero, roger clemens, mark mcgwire and barry bonds. It's a shame that baseball has to be tarnished by these acts, as it is the greatest sport invented IMO. A-Rod did admit to using them, which is courageous in today's landscape; and I commend him for that. But with that being said, he is a cheater and does not deserve to be looked at in the same light as those players that have done it the right way such as Griffey-the greatest baseball player ever-Ryan Howard, Albert Pujols and Manny Ramirez. I think players that have either been caught using or have admitted to using should get a lifetime ban from the sport and have their career statistics erased. Baseball should take control of the situation, and if they want to mess around the government should step in, because these men are breaking the law by using these drugs. I just hope baseball gets restored to what it once was.
February 10, 200917 yr I think A-Rod and Bonds are indeed HOF calibre players without steroids. Leaving aside the whole debate of whether players who are confirmed to have used steroids should or should not be automatically excluded from the HOF, one of the biggest issues I have is knowing that they have set records - records that very well may stand forever - by cheating. It's unfair to the 99.9% of the rest of baseball players throughout the history of the game who chose to do it the right way and not gain an unfair competitive advantage. Hank Aaron didn't use steroids. He should be baseball's all-time HR king, not a size 9 1/2" hat-wearing, drug enhanced egomaniac like Bonds. Edited February 10, 200917 yr by cooperstown
February 10, 200917 yr How bout Junior? :thumb: I would have to think he's gaining more and more appreciation by the day.
February 10, 200917 yr Which is a ridiculous premise ... Mel Kiper made the argument on ESPN Radio this weekend that if guys like Bonds and A-Rod are left out of the Hall of Fame, then eventually the Hall of Fame loses credibility. It is supposed to include the very best players in the history of the game, and those two clearly are in that category. And I don't want to hear about Pete Rose ... he violated one of baseball's most strident rules. Baseball didn't have any rules regarding performance enhancers until recently, and much of this stuff is about players trying to gain an edge. It's the same reason that hitters have used corked bats and pitchers have defaced baseballs. If Bonds, A-Rod and the like are going to be denied, then when is Gaylord Perry's plaque going to be removed? So because baseball didn't have any laws against it then they should be forgiven and allowed into the HOF? What's worse...breaking a federal law, or a rule put into place by MLB? I'm going to have to go with the former. FWIW, I think if they are worthy (steroids or not) they should be placed in the Hall. That goes for Mr. Rose also.
February 10, 200917 yr Should the fans not accept some of the blame? Unless they provided the players performance enhancing drugs and allowed the usage to go on even know they knew it was happening, then no.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.