Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why are three Refs used in High School BB games?

Featured Replies

Are ref's graded by some system? Three refs should really improve the accuracy of the calls, but that is not always the case. It seems no ref want to over rule the other, but the players deserve the correct calls, dont they?

  • Replies 85
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a ranking system, you can see it on KHSAA. I am not sure what the rankings mean though.

I think you could have 5 ref's on the floor and there would still be missed calls.

There is a ranking system, you can see it on KHSAA. I am not sure what the rankings mean though.

I think you could have 5 ref's on the floor and there would still be missed calls.

 

A ranking system??

Can you give us a link please?

I think the more this is used the better the officials will be with it. 6 eyes are better than 4, give it time. It should be getting better every year, as I don't see too many 2 man crews in the future.

I think the more this is used the better the officials will be with it. 6 eyes are better than 4, give it time. It should be getting better every year, as I don't see too many 2 man crews in the future.

 

I have a thought--- Let the players and coaches call the game---this will save the schools money and end result will be a better called game.:jump:

Officials are ranked by coaches and assigners, as far as I know.

I don't like the three man crew. the benefit (if there is one) isn't worth the extra expense. The two man crew would work fine if the officials would just call a foul when they see one and not wait to see the result of the foul. An example is a bump on the base line and the foul is only called if the player looses the ball or falls out of bounds.

I have a thought--- Let the players and coaches call the game---this will save the schools money and end result will be a better called game.:jump:

 

I have seen games where this would be true:thumb:

A two man system was great a few years back, but now since the game is at a new level. Everyone is running up and down the floor shooting 3's and pressing all over the floor and it's difficult for 2 people to officiate the whole floor. Yes they used to do it, but the game was never this up tempo and we never had this many athletes on the floor at one time. The game has passed up the 2 man system and definitely needs 3 for the kids to have a fair called game.

Are ref's graded by some system? Three refs should really improve the accuracy of the calls, but that is not always the case. It seems no ref want to over rule the other, but the players deserve the correct calls, dont they?
Do you feel more calls are being missed with a 3 man crew. The areas of the floor for positioning with a 3 man crew, offers less visual area for observation with 3.

 

Sure calls will be missed with 2 or 3, especially along the baseline and wings, with players setting screens and cutting. The point of emphasis should be on instructing the area for observation, for each official.

 

You can be the trail one play, then the lead the next but the viewing assignments, are different.

The biggest problem I see is they all wait to see what the other is going to do and it results in a lot of missed calls! Unless their just missin them on purpose to get out of there quicker! Same pay regardless how long the contest last's!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

The biggest problem I see is they all wait to see what the other is going to do and it results in a lot of missed calls! Unless their just missin them on purpose to get out of there quicker! Same pay regardless how long the contest last's!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

 

Each official has an assigned area so there should not be any "waiting to see what the others are going to do" type of situation.

The biggest problem I see is they all wait to see what the other is going to do and it results in a lot of missed calls! Unless their just missin them on purpose to get out of there quicker! Same pay regardless how long the contest last's!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

 

All official associations need more officials--maybe you should join the ranks. It is easy to call a game from the stands--not quite the case on the hardwood. Honestly, I don't know of any officials that don't give a 100% while out on the court. It may not be up to your standards (typically those in the stands only see the game one-sided, that is not the way an official calls the game), but they work hard the entire game.

Each official has an assigned area so there should not be any "waiting to see what the others are going to do" type of situation.

 

That could very well be the case, but I have witnessed many times one official leaning his head around looking at the other official and the other looking back at him! Sometimes a call is made and the other will shake his head in agreement, and sometime's no call is made and a few minutes later they get together and discuss it, and one said "My bad" I should have got it!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.