Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why are three Refs used in High School BB games?

Featured Replies

:ohbrother:

 

Ok, so after thinking about it briefly this is how it is....

 

The treatment of officials on BG Preps has deterioirated over the last year. If ANYONE wants to become an official, please let me know and I'll personally work with you to register for next season.

 

For the rest, please try to understand the following (for MOST officials):

Most refs:

1) want to see players and teams play their best game every night.

2) couldn't care less about who wins.

3) routinely attend games they are not working in an effort to better themselves. Most also look at the schedule and pick the best game to go to, ntoa specific team.

4) attend training and summer camps in an effort to better themselves.

5) spend countless hours actually reading the rules (yes I know you may not agree).

6) talk to each other about specific situations, to better understand how and why the rules are what they are.

7) spend time with younger (tenured) officials to help them get better.

8) make less money working a Varsity game than they could in a lesser gym on any given night.

 

Thanks :isurrender:

 

Well Said:clap::clap::clap:

  • Replies 85
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference in pay between 2 man crews and 3 man crews?

 

I would suspect it would be 33% more.

I would suspect it would be 33% more.

 

2-man costs a school $110 (I think). 3 man costs a school $150 so my earlier $45 was off by $5.

 

Some states have already gone to JV games using 3-man crews.

I would suspect it would be 33% more.

 

...and mathematically it would be 50% more if you were assuming the same pay rate per official.:D

I have been told that it is a foul when the physical contact causes an advantage for one player over the other.

 

The advantage can be more than just a turnover. I have seen on many occasions that a bump disrupts the timing of a pass or a cut that could have resulted in a basket.

...and mathematically it would be 50% more if you were assuming the same pay rate per official.:D

:thumb:

What is the difference in pay between 2 man crews and 3 man crews?

 

Just called a BBA member It costs the school 160.00 for two and 210.00 for three.:thumb:

The advantage can be more than just a turnover. I have seen on many occasions that a bump disrupts the timing of a pass or a cut that could have resulted in a basket.

 

As a defensive coach, I call that good defense.

No one is to cut through OUR FT lane without us rerouting their path and disrupting their timing.

As a defensive coach, I call that good defense.

No one is to cut through OUR FT lane without us rerouting their path and disrupting their timing.

 

I agree. But I have seen the cutters get knocked down without a call and it is perceived as no advantage.

I agree. But I have seen the cutters get knocked down without a call and it is perceived as no advantage.

 

Or flopped. Not everytime an offensive player hits the ground do they get knocked to the ground.

Or flopped. Not everytime an offensive player hits the ground do they get knocked to the ground.

 

I don't believe I said they did.

Just called a BBA member It costs the school 160.00 for two and 210.00 for three.:thumb:

 

Wow. That's not true across the state. Nice pay for the BBA.

Don't High School, College and the NBA all have three officials? I believe so how many do you need 10 one for every player? Three is a perfect number covers every angle of the game! Only once or possibly even twice do officials miss a call because they where un able to see the play! :clap:

Three man crews have saved those overweight and over the hill officials. I remember the days when officials had to sprint to get into position. The only sprint they do now is to the locker room when the final buzzer sounds.

Just called a BBA member It costs the school 160.00 for two and 210.00 for three.:thumb:

 

16th region pays $55 each for 3 man and $65 for 2 man, so a difference of $35 total for a varisty game, not that big a financial burden if you ask me.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.