Newport 49 Beechwood 47

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood led by 10 with 4 minutes left. Seemed like Beechwood let off the gas with about 5 minutes left, then tried to turn it back on with 2 minutes left. Many costly turnovers for Beechwood in the last 3 or 4 minutes. Neither team played very well but Newport finished with the final flury. Not sure how Beechwood beat Highlands.[/QUOTE]

Watson's head wasnt in the game. Lother turned it over more than 5 times and rode the pine the last qtr and OT. Kowolonek touched the ball 5 times in the 2nd half and OT. Grubbs was sick. Smith-Kellen and Gordon missed all of their shots taken. Dill had a decent game and Grote led but not enough to overcome the Tigers. There you go.

Beechwood led by 10 with 4 minutes left. Seemed like Beechwood let off the gas with about 5 minutes left, then tried to turn it back on with 2 minutes left. Many costly turnovers for Beechwood in the last 3 or 4 minutes. Neither team played very well but Newport finished with the final flury. Not sure how Beechwood beat Highlands.[/QUOTE]

Watson's head wasnt in the game. Lother turned it over more than 5 times and rode the pine the last qtr and OT. Kowolonek touched the ball 5 times in the 2nd half and OT. Grubbs was sick. Smith-Kellen and Gordon missed all of their shots taken. Dill had a decent game and Grote led but not enough to overcome the Tigers. There you go.

Not picking at you, but that was the most excuses I've ever seen in one paragraph!:laugh::thumb:

With Beechwood losing to Newport, it has to make Holy Cross the favorite to come out of the 9th.

Just keep leaving St. Henry out of the favorites. They play better that way. Oh, did I mention St. Henry beat HC tonight by 13. Looks like another battle in the semis is brewing against NCC and St Henry.

Look at tonight's scoreboard of the games up here and it is clear what everyone is saying - 2 thru 13 in the rankings are up for grabs any time they play. It would be an awful lot of fun if Holmes weren't there trying to figure this region and even the districts out. Of course, the Holmes fans probably think it is a lot of fun just the way it is.

Just keep leaving St. Henry out of the favorites. They play better that way. Oh, did I mention St. Henry beat HC tonight by 13. Looks like another battle in the semis is brewing against NCC and St Henry.

Hey I was wrong. Congrats to you and your Cru!!!

Not as an excuse for the Tigers but it was a pretty bad officiated game IMO. Romes also fouled out with 2minutes and 30 seconds to go.

The worst and potentially game changing call of the night came at the end of the 3rd period. With time running off the clock, a Newport defender gets called for a foul when it was obvious that he didn't touch Beechwood's player. He reacted by throwing up his hands and saying 'I didn't touch him' and the ref served him up a big 'T'. (A little overblown by ref for my money). Beechwood goes to the line already up by 2 and sinks 4 free throws to now go up by 6 to start the 4th. Up until this point in the game it was nip and tuck. Newport was up by 1 after 1. Newport was up by 1 at half time. Beechwood should've only been up by 2 at the end of 3rd, but now they had their biggest lead of game, at that point, by 6. I personally thought that this would be the end of Newport. Into the 4th Beechwood extends their lead by 10 (40-30). I was about to head for the doors. Newport however IMPRESSIVELY NEVER GAVE UP! Luther started to hit some much needed '3's to get them back in the game. Newport's Darnel and forwards McDaniel and Collins played tough and made some clutch shots down low down the stretch. Every player for Newport stayed focused and contributed wonderfully in a TEAMWORK effort the ENTIRE GAME. Wish I knew all their names because I was impressed by EVERYONE of them and their high spirited effort. With game tied at 47 with 30 or so seconds on clock, Newport holds ball for last shot and Tucker tosses a beauty up from around the foul line that was nothing but nets! The roof came off! With 1.2 seconds remaining Beechwood could not convert. Game Over. Newport 49-47. It was great to see the smiles on the faces of the Newport loyal for a change. This game should certainly boost Newport's confidence. Huge win for Newport! I would've kicked myself if I had missed this one. Good luck to the Wildcats the rest of the way. Don't overlook Dayton though because they're also having a confident, better than average season themselves. It's likely however that Newport will be facing either St. Henry or NewCath in the finals. This year, I say that Newport looks awful HUNGRY. Just might be the year they take the All 'A'. Tall order with with those well coached teams, but Beechwood's Shumate is a good coach too and the Wildcats got out alive on that one. Newport deserved EVERY BIT of this WIN coming back, down by 10 and put in a bad spot by the bad call at the end of the 3rd. Y'never know. If Newport's ever gonna do it, this has got to be the year.

Congratulations on a great win! :thumb:

Edited by B-Ball-fan
Hugh to Huge

Good win for Newport. Congatulations. Newport has a team that can surprise some people if they play well.

Agreed. They've got some size, muscle, talent and chemistry that I think a lot might've been overlooking. I know I did. Surprised the heck out of me. They play focused, spirited and disciplined like that they can go places. Who knows, we might be seing them in the Regional tourney down the road. With this being a Bulldog year though, and taking nothing away from them, they better nab the All 'A' while they can. GO WILDCATS! :thumb:

Agreed. They've got some size, muscle, talent and chemistry that I think a lot might've been overlooking. I know I did. Surprised the heck out of me. They play focused, spirited and disciplined like that they can go places. Who knows, we might be seing them in the Regional tourney down the road. With this being a Bulldog year though, and taking nothing away from them, they better nab the All 'A' while they can. GO WILDCATS! :thumb:

I called them my darkhorse before the season started. They have plenty of talent they just need focus and discipline like you mentioned.