Newport 49 Beechwood 47

You are correct about me being one sided. After I saw what an entertaining bunch the Wildcats were I jumped into their camp for the evening. I went to see a good game and walked away a Newport believer. Nice to see some good TEAM basketball played by a program that has suffered over the years, during a season that's been for the most part pretty dull (aside from the mighty Bulldogs). I'm happy for Beechwood too to get some good signature wins in this year against teams who usually had their number, but ultimately I was really diggin' the surprise team that Newport turned out to be. They have a little bit of that 'team of destiny' sheen going on and it's awesome to witness. :thumb:

Wow...I have no idea who you are, but I am totally diggin' the fact that this Newport team converted an "outsider". It seems as if we (our kids, schools, etc...) don't get much love from those outside of the city. It's nice to see these kids getting some much deserved recognition. :thumb:

Edited by 20/20Hindsight
typo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I have no idea who you are, but I am totally diggin' the fact that this Newport team converted an "outsider". It seems as if we (our kids, schools, etc...) don't get much love from those outside of the city. It's nice to see these kids getting some much deserved recognition. :thumb:

It seems like something has been brewing in Newport for awhile, but they just never could seem to get over the hump. I thought that losing Housley to Holmes would set them back this year to being mediocre once again, but it doesn't look like the team has batted an eye about it. They look like they have many strong options to go to all over the court and their bench comes in and does a great job of contributing as well. It's fun to see every one of their offensive possessions to see who's going to step up and work some magic. I'm impressed with their size, strength, talent, and spirited teamwork. Nice slick 3 ball shooting from Luther and strong power moves in the paint by him, McDaniel, Collins & Darnel. Greene off the bench adds some meaningful minutes to the mix and the little excitable backup guard comes in to put in an honest days work. What's not to like? Hopefully it was no fluke and they can continue to play like this. It would be puzzling to me if I'd go to see them again and another Newport team would show up. I hope that's not the case. They stay focused like they did the other night and I'll be thrilled to see how far the season takes them. In a Bulldog season or not. Good basketball is good basketball. :thumb:

It seems like something has been brewing in Newport for awhile, but they just never could seem to get over the hump. I thought that losing Housley to Holmes would set them back this year to being mediocre once again, but it doesn't look like the team has batted an eye about it. They look like they have many strong options to go to all over the court and their bench comes in and does a great job of contributing as well. It's fun to see every one of their offensive possessions to see who's going to step up and work some magic. I'm impressed with their size, strength, talent, and spirited teamwork. Nice slick 3 ball shooting from Luther and strong power moves in the paint by him, McDaniel, Collins & Darnel. Greene off the bench adds some meaningful minutes to the mix and the little excitable backup guard comes in to put in an honest days work. What's not to like? Hopefully it was no fluke and they can continue to play like this. It would be puzzling to me if I'd go to see them again and another Newport team would show up. I hope that's not the case. They stay focused like they did the other night and I'll be thrilled to see how far the season takes them. In a Bulldog season or not. Good basketball is good basketball. :thumb:

I agree with 20/20 Hindsight, I to am glad to see that those boys have been able to win someone over outside of Newport. These are "our boys" and of course we are going to believe in them no matter what. We know they have it in them - we just have to keep hoping they bring it to each and every game. When they play together, they win and that is great to see! We have had some very good ball players over the years, but it just doesn't seem like they give it their all 100% of the time and when we get down, forget it. We help to dig that hole deeper.

It would be great to see this team make it to Richmond.

Go Wildcats !!

:dancingpa

I think Beechwood players wore down only having 6 players play in tight a game. Newport played several non-starters in earlier in the game keeping starters fresh for the 4 quarter. This resting starters for the 4th quarter almost always pays off. Resting starters does two things; keeps legs fresh and develops younger with big game experience for future games.