Rd. 3: Who's the next coach at Covington Catholic?

gamer31

CCH was kicking butt in basketball years before the football team even got on the radar. They are definitely more of a basketball school than a football school .

CCH kicked but in basketball in the late 1960's and early 1970's. They never got anywhere except for a state runner-up. It took ~20 years to get back to Rupp (1992) and 10+ more to make a mark down at state.

CCH football won 6 state titles.

But its more than the W's and L's- its the way things are treated at the school. As a former basketball player, I won't say that we were treated poorly, not one bit. But it is a football school.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCH kicked but in basketball in the late 1960's and early 1970's. They never got anywhere except for a state runner-up. It took ~20 years to get back to Rupp (1992) and 10+ more to make a mark down at state.

CCH football won 6 state titles.

But its more than the W's and L's- its the way things are treated at the school. As a former basketball player, I won't say that we were treated poorly, not one bit. But it is a football school.

It sounds like you would know better than I. Thanks for sharing the insight. That surprises me.

No question about it, basketball is King at CCH just like it is King at most schools in KY.

:eek:No way. You might be able to make that case with schools like Scott or Holmes, but a lot of the schools in NKY are football schools that have basketball teams. Brossart might be another one that could be a basketball school first, but soccer is a big deal out there, also.

We disagree on this Colonel fans.

Consider this, the basketball coach at CCH bullies student athletes into playing basketball only. Last year the former principal made it clear to the basketball coach it was his last year. The basketball coached flexed his muscles and in the end the principal is gone (promotion or not he is gone) and the basketball coach is still large and in charge. Next CCH hires a new principal that is not only a basketball guy but came from Brossart (the Brossart and CCH coaches have been known to run together). And now the basketball guy principal is in charge of hiring the football coach.

All you Colonels that think CCH is a football school answer this for me, would something like this happen at Highlands? At Beechwood? Of course it wouldn't happen because those are football schools.

I don't care how many state football titles CCH has, football is classified and if it wasn't classified they probably wouldn't have a single title.

CCH is a basketball school.

Consider this, the basketball coach at CCH bullies student athletes into playing basketball only. Last year the former principal made it clear to the basketball coach it was his last year. The basketball coached flexed his muscles and in the end the principal is gone (promotion or not he is gone) and the basketball coach is still large and in charge. Next CCH hires a new principal that is not only a basketball guy but came from Brossart (the Brossart and CCH coaches have been known to run together). And now the basketball guy principal is in charge of hiring the football coach.

All you Colonels that think CCH is a football school answer this for me, would something like this happen at Highlands? At Beechwood? Of course it wouldn't happen because those are football schools.

I don't care how many state football titles CCH has, football is classified and if it wasn't classified they probably wouldn't have a single title.

Where to start?

First of all, the basketball coach does not "bully" anybody into playing only one sport. Those rumors have somehow been floating around for years and are not true. There are plenty of multi-sport athletes at Covington Catholic and many of them are basketball players. Those rumors originated in the Tieman era, and for some reason they carried over to the Listerman era. However, they are false.

You may have a few instances where coaches have talked to players and told them that they're on the fringe and would have a better opportunity to make the team if they make a committment to one team or the other.

Secondly, wasn't Bob Rowe the baseball coach at Brossart? Regardless, there was not a single complaint about Bob Rowe being hired as the principal at Covington Catholic because he is a qualified candidate and, by all indications, an outstanding leader. I feel very comfortable in saying that Mr. Rowe's favorite sport played no role at all in his selection. To suggest otherwise is absolutely absurd.

Third, the idea that Brossart and Covington Catholic guys hang out together is irrelevant, if it's true. Mike Clines is the only guy from Brossart that I know who was affiliated with Brossart and he had been at Covington Catholic for over 10 years before he was selected as the Principal.

No, it probably wouldn't happen at Highlands or Beechwood. But Covington Catholic is their own school and prides themselves on the education that they offer and the morals & values that they instill in their own men. Athletics are an important part of that, but not the most important aspect.

Finally, Beechwood & Highlands are football schools. They claim to be football schools, they want to be football schools, and their football programs are the focal point of all of their athletics. That is simply not the case at Covington Catholic. CCH has an AD who cares about ALL of the programs, not just the football team. If that makes Covington Catholic a basketball school, then maybe we are.

G - don't believe the hype and rumors. There is no bullying going on. There are at least 3 footballers that also play basketball. Basketball players also play golf, baseball, track, and lacrosse.

Clines did not tell Listerman that last year was his last year. Never happened. Whoever told you that got bad info and you'll have to trust me on that one.

I think its a disservice to Rowe to call him a "basketball guy principal." Just because Bishop Brossart didn't have football doesn't mean diddly in this situation.

How many NKY schools would have football titles if football were not classified?

CCH - football school with strong programs all around.