Point Guards - Who are the good ones?

At the half way point of this season, who are some of the better point guards that you've seen this year? They don't get mentioned as much as the scoring leaders because they are the ones setting up the scorers. Let's give them their due!

Please use this criteria before giving your answer:

Floor leader

Makes players around him better

Great handles

Looks to create and set up his shooters

Sees the floor well

High assists/low turnovers

Can score when needed

Good Defense

Doesn't have to have a high point average to be considered

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9th region, I would go with

1. Riley- Holmes

2. Buettell- Beechwood

3. Gabbard- Boone Co.

4. Pangalo- NCC

I'm sure I may have missed a couple but those are the top 4 off the top of my head. Blake Bryan for Villa Madonna plays a lot of point but IMO he is more of a shooting guard.

Ethan Fualkner will head this list, but you must Sub "Great Defense" for good defense & add "Tremendous Rebounder" when speaking of him. He meets & exceeds the criteria on your list. How many other point guards will guard the other teams best player whether he be an all-stater, or all-american. Whether he be 6'1" or 6'9" and do a good job on them. It was beautiful watching him guard CJ Penny in the 2nd half of that OT game last week.

Riley is hands down the best PG in nky and IMO one of the top 3 in the state.

Shooting 50% from both the field and 3 point land:

FG- 48-95 (51%)

3PT FG- 25-48 (52%)

If there's another PG in the state that is shooting the ball that well, please let me know because IMO Riley is the best shooter in the state and the scouts that I've talked to tend to agree with me. The stats don't lie.

Averaging 11 PPG, 3 APG, and 3 RPG on a team filled with "stars'.

76% Free throw shooter

Great ball handler who doesn't commit many turnovers.

And most importantly, the floor general for the #1 team in the state.

FG- 48-95 (51%)

3PT FG- 25-48 (52%)

If there's another PG in the state that is shooting the ball that well, please let me know because IMO Riley is the best shooter in the state and the scouts that I've talked to tend to agree with me. The stats don't lie.

76% Free throw shooter

Based on the criteria I agree with you 100% I think Gabbard is very solid but after that again based on the criteria(all catagories) it drops off pretty quick IMO. It woud be interesting to see true stats on turnovers vs assists on several of the point guards. Other than that everything is an opinion I guess?

FG- 48-95 (51%)

3PT FG- 25-48 (52%)

76% Free throw shooter

You mentioned scouts. Who is Riley being recruited by? Offers? I would have to think his size would be a huge issue. I know a couple of years Mike Hester really had trouble with offers because of his size.

I thought Holmes was a much better team with Riley on the floor last year. Nice player.

You mentioned scouts. Who is Riley being recruited by? Offers? I would have to think his size would be a huge issue. I know a couple of years Mike Hester really had trouble with offers because of his size.

I thought Holmes was a much better team with Riley on the floor last year. Nice player.

What hurt Hester is that he is at best 5'8" and Riley is more like 6' or 6'1". 4 to 5 inches is a huge difference.

I do some work with a local rivals site and am friends with some of the scouts who evaluate the talent in greater cincinnati and NKY. As of right now Riley doesn't have any offers and from what I know is getting looks but only from some of the bigger D2 schools. His size is his only downfall but his quickness makes up for it. If he were 6'2 or 6'3 he would be the biggest PG prospect in KY for the c/o 2009. (So the scouts tell me.)

The college coaches who have come to watch the Johnson Brothers and Pittman LOVE Riley's game though and the way he carries himself. I was sitting with a scout at the Holmes/CCH game and while R. Johnson was having a HUGE all around game, all he kept talking about was how impressed he was with how well Riley handled the ball and got others involved.

What hurt Hester is that he is at best 5'8" and Riley is more like 6' or 6'1". 4 to 5 inches is a huge difference.

Riley is listed at 5'11 but he's much taller than that. I'm 6'0 and he's taller than me.

Henley tends to downplay the size of his players when listing them unlike other coaches who go overboard and give their players 2 or 3 inches more than what they really are..

Based on the criteria I agree with you 100% I think Gabbard is very solid but after that again based on the criteria(all catagories) it drops off pretty quick IMO. It woud be interesting to see true stats on turnovers vs assists on several of the point guards. Other than that everything is an opinion I guess?

From NKy.com stats

Riley Holmes 45 assists & 38 Turnovers

Gabbard Boone Co. 52 assists & 33 turnovers

Pangallo NewCath 63 assists & 36 turnovers

Beuttel Beechwood 48 assists & 33 turnovers

Smith Scott HS 93 assists & 57 turnovers

Bryan Villa 51 assists & 49 turnovers

Turnover to assist ratio is one way to judge PG's in addition to the other stats mentioned. Even this can be misleading as style of play can dictate difficulty of passes a PG is asked to make. A team that is constantly pushing the ball down the floor to create extra possessions will create additional assist for the PG but they will also have more turnovers as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the PG's on this list.

Riley is a pure point. And he's got the people around to where if he throws a bullitt pass, their gonna finish and the assist gets logged in the book. A point with solid talent surrounding him doesn't get doubled or trapped and often times gets to exploit the other teams PG if they have ballhandling skills.