Point Guards - Who are the good ones?

:thumb:

I'd say it's a combination of Riley and R. Johnson both distributing the ball well. Both have 40+ assists. Competition definetly comes in to play and Riley isn't a stranger to having big games against good teams. 20 points on 6-8 shooting against pre season #1 speaks for itself.

I'd say Riley is the most talented pg in the state but might give the fundamentals edge to E. Faulkner. Riley has much more athleticism and is a better shooter IMO.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Vee Sanford? He's the biggest prospect in KY for the PG position.

Kind of goes to almost every player on Holmes's team.;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the half way point of this season, who are some of the better point guards that you've seen this year? They don't get mentioned as much as the scoring leaders because they are the ones setting up the scorers. Let's give them their due!

Please use this criteria before giving your answer:

Floor leader

Makes players around him better

Great handles

Looks to create and set up his shooters

Sees the floor well

High assists/low turnovers

Can score when needed

Good Defense

Doesn't have to have a high point average to be considered

By using this criteria I would have to put Ryan Williams, of GRC name in with this group. I have highlighted his strengths. Yes all of them. You dont' see his name in the stats as a high scorer, but can when needed. His passes are unreal , but his defense is what I think sets him apart from alot of the rest.

By using this criteria I would have to put Ryan Williams, of GRC name in with this group. I have highlighted his strengths. Yes all of them. You dont' see his name in the stats as a high scorer, but can when needed. His passes are unreal , but his defense is what I think sets him apart from alot of the rest.

I'd agree with Williams. His defense is indeed outstanding. What makes him so tough though is his quickness.

In one game this season Fonze Custard put up 18 points, 9 assists, and 10 rebounds. Superstar numbers. 1 assist shy of a triple double which doesn't happen that often on the high school level.

Fonze is a good athlete and good player but he forces up a lot of shots and needs to work on handling the ball with his left. I wasn't too impressed with him against Holmes.

Fonze is a good athlete and good player but he forces up a lot of shots and needs to work on handling the ball with his left. I wasn't too impressed with him against Holmes.

I agree with you, he does force a lot of his shots. But, after watching him he is a right hand player but seems to be more dominant with the left hand, and tends to go left more than right. He only had 10 points at Holmes but lets not forget, scoring points doesn't make a point guard a great player. It's his tendency to make everyone around him better, and to get everyone involved in the game. And I think he deserves an A in both of those catagories, having had several games with 10+ assists.

I agree with you, he does force a lot of his shots. But, after watching him he is a right hand player but seems to be more dominant with the left hand, and tends to go left more than right. He only had 10 points at Holmes but lets not forget, scoring points doesn't make a point guard a great player. It's his tendency to make everyone around him better, and to get everyone involved in the game. And I think he deserves an A in both of those catagories, having had several games with 10+ assists.

You can definetly tell the potential is there with the kid. Very solid handling the ball, quick, explosive off the dribble, and a decent shot, but I just think he forces the issue too much at times and needs to slow down and let the game come to him. Definetly needs to work on his defense as well. He's young though, I believe. Definetly has the potential to be a star.

You can definetly tell the potential is there with the kid. Very solid handling the ball, quick, explosive off the dribble, and a decent shot, but I just think he forces the issue too much at times and needs to slow down and let the game come to him. Definetly needs to work on his defense as well. He's young though, I believe. Definetly has the potential to be a star.

I agree 100%.