Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SEC

Featured Replies

If they had a little more experience I think they could be very dangerous. As it stands they will likely have some more big wins and head scratcher loses ahead...

 

I don't disagree, but they'll gain experience as the season progresses and as they play these road games. You asked who has a shot of being on the bubble; they do.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I don't disagree, but they'll gain experience as the season progresses and as they play these road games. You asked who has a shot of being on the bubble; they do.

Agreed they have a shot. Just have to keep the number of head scratchers to a minimum...

The SEC is probably the worst I have ever seen it. I think it starts with coaching. While we have some good coaches in the SEC the league has been plagued with guys who haven't been able to get the job done at their respective schools like Brady, Gotfried, Odom, Stan Heath, Ellis, etc. The jury is still out on Felton, Horn, Kennedy, etc, but I think Horn will do well. But some below average coaches that either just was replaced or still coaching has hurt a lot of programs. Also while Tubby Smith did great things at UK and is doing good now the program had slipped under him too. I think next year the league will be better and in 2 years it will be really good again.

  • Author
The SEC is probably the worst I have ever seen it. I think it starts with coaching. While we have some good coaches in the SEC the league has been plagued with guys who haven't been able to get the job done at their respective schools like Brady, Gotfried, Odom, Stan Heath, Ellis, etc. The jury is still out on Felton, Horn, Kennedy, etc, but I think Horn will do well. But some below average coaches that either just was replaced or still coaching has hurt a lot of programs. Also while Tubby Smith did great things at UK and is doing good now the program had slipped under him too. I think next year the league will be better and in 2 years it will be really good again.

Good assessment LMB...

The SEC is probably the worst I have ever seen it. I think it starts with coaching. While we have some good coaches in the SEC the league has been plagued with guys who haven't been able to get the job done at their respective schools like Brady, Gotfried, Odom, Stan Heath, Ellis, etc. The jury is still out on Felton, Horn, Kennedy, etc, but I think Horn will do well. But some below average coaches that either just was replaced or still coaching has hurt a lot of programs. Also while Tubby Smith did great things at UK and is doing good now the program had slipped under him too. I think next year the league will be better and in 2 years it will be really good again.

 

Pretty accurate IMO. I was looking at the rosters the other day, and realized that most, not all, SEC teams are extremely young this year. Almost all should be better next year, with some having the potential to be very very good.

Good assessment LMB...

 

I really like Gillispie, Donovan, Pearl, Stallings, and Pelphrey (maybe a little premature on him) as the elite coaches in the SEC.

 

I also like Stansbury and Horn (2 ky boys).

 

I am not really a fan of any other coach in the SEC.

 

Now what do Gillispie, Donovan, Pelphrey, Stansbury, Horn, and Felton all have in common? All 6 have either grown up or been a coach in the state of Ky at 1 time.

Whether the SEC is up or down, seems like they get 6 teams in the dance every year. Right now I'd say 5 should get in.

Its a cyclical deal for the most part, and the early entries, injuries have hurt.

Just off the top of my head...

MSU- Jamont Gordon went pro, why? I have no idea. That would have helped MSU. Plus I think they have had some recruits go pro out of high school within the last few years...not last year. They lost a serviceable player in Hansbrough.

Bama- Hendrix bolted early...top 5 player in the conference. However, they still have Gottfried...awful.

Arkansas lost Beverley and one other player I believe early which has them really young.

Ole Miss has been hurt by the losses of Polynice and their PG.

LSU loses Randolph to the league.

Auburn-still building a roster so to speak

Tennessee-finding it tough to replace Lofton, and Juan Smith...Ramar not so much...also lost Crews...more of a reload issue there.

SC-coaching change

Florida- youth

UK- coaching change-roster turnover from previous regime

Vandy- tough to replace a couple of kids they have lost through graduation

Georgia- Felton has had some issues with kids and got the boot...Billy Humphrey comes to mind..

Its a cyclical deal for the most part, and the early entries, injuries have hurt.

Just off the top of my head...

MSU- Jamont Gordon went pro, why? I have no idea. That would have helped MSU. Plus I think they have had some recruits go pro out of high school within the last few years...not last year. They lost a serviceable player in Hansbrough.

Bama- Hendrix bolted early...top 5 player in the conference. However, they still have Gottfried...awful.

Arkansas lost Beverley and one other player I believe early which has them really young.

Ole Miss has been hurt by the losses of Polynice and their PG.

LSU loses Randolph to the league.

Auburn-still building a roster so to speak

Tennessee-finding it tough to replace Lofton, and Juan Smith...Ramar not so much...also lost Crews...more of a reload issue there.

SC-coaching change

Florida- youth

UK- coaching change-roster turnover from previous regime

Vandy- tough to replace a couple of kids they have lost through graduation

Georgia- Felton has had some issues with kids and got the boot...Billy Humphrey comes to mind..

 

That has been the story at Auburn for the past 11 years.

The conference obviously isn't that great, but one could argue that the league has just as many good OOC wins as say the Big East.

I'd say this is an average year for the Big 12. I think the SEC is bad. Not terrible, but bad...

 

It may not be terrible, but I can't imagine the conference as a whole being much worse than it is right now. It's definitely weaker than I can ever recall.

The problem is the good wins are bunched between the top few teams. The teams without good wins also have awful loses. UK, UT and Florida should make the tournament pretty easily. Out of the rest who even gets on the bubble???

 

I think Mississippi, Arkansas, possibly LSU, ... outside of that, not sure.

SEC = Weak...

Seriously people is that bad. Is anybody that good this year. And I love all you guys

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.