January 14, 200917 yr Are there any old BGPers who actually saw him score his 53? I'd just like to hear how he did it. With no 3 point line that's quite a number.
January 14, 200917 yr I didn't see that game. I did see Issel and Artis go up against The Iceman in an ABA game in Cincinnati. I found this youtube ABA video which is fun.
January 14, 200917 yr Author I saw him play but he didn't get 53. BTW, I resent the term "old BGPers. How about seasoned BGPers? well traveled BGPers? :lol: no offense intended. :devil:but if the shoe fits...
January 14, 200917 yr Dan Issel could make the 18 foot bank shot all night long. Tennessee scouting report on him went like this. Can make the 18 foot shot all day long come up and play him tight will go to the goal and put the ball and his man also in the basket. Great ball player but Meeks had one of the best game I have ever seen anybody have. I have been watching basketball for over 50 years.
January 14, 200917 yr Most people may not realize that Issel is 7th in career points in pro basketball history. He also averaged 34 points a game his senior season.
January 14, 200917 yr Issel hit well for a 6'9" guy in his day. About 18 feet in and farther out in the ABA. He was a tough nosed rebounder and got a good number of extra points by mixing it up under the boards and putting the Offensive Rebound back in. Issel could always score but so could Mike Casey his classmate. But when Casey broke his leg before their Senior year Rupp decided that Issel had to be the focus of the whole offense and he responded with something like a 33 point per game average. People forget because it was in the middle of the UCLA run that the '70 KY team was actually the #1 ranked team heading into the NCAA tourney with only one loss. Many felt then that if Casey had not been injured that UK would have very likely won the NCAA that year because it was the first year UCLA was without Alcindor (Jabaar) and 2 years before Walton played. They were ambushed in the Regional final by a Jacksonville squad that had Artis Gilmoe (7'2") at Center and Pembrook Burrows (7') at a forward. Rex Morgan was their guard and they beat UK 106-100 but Issel fouled out with 14:00 to play when a Dolphin guard stepped in front of Issel with his head turned and drew a bogus charge for the 5th and final foul. In the ABA, the Colonels were pretty close to being equal with the best of the NBA of their era. Artis Gilmore, Issel, Darrell Carrier and Louie Dampier could play some basketball. :thumb:
January 14, 200917 yr Most people may not realize that Issel is 7th in career points in pro basketball history. He also averaged 34 points a game his senior season. And yet he was left off of the 50th Anniversary team last decade in favor of the flash of a Clyde Drexler or the media darlings of a Robert Parrish or Scottie Pippin. Just like what happens on BGP sometimes, people think the game was invented in their lifetime
January 14, 200917 yr Don't recall seeing the 53 points score by Issel, not many games on TV back in those days,but listen to games on the Radio was the thing back then.
January 14, 200917 yr Hatz made some very good points. Saw the game that Jacksonville beat Kentucky. Very bad call fouled Issel out. I think even without Mike Casey the Cats still could have beaten UCLA. Also bring the Kentucky Colonels into the NBA with whole team intact they could have competed with any NBA team of that era.
January 15, 200917 yr Are there any old BGPers who actually saw him score his 53? I'd just like to hear how he did it. With no 3 point line that's quite a number. Once again, I hate showing my age, but here goes: I'm pretty sure that Issel's 53 point game was not televised anywhere. Amazingly, earlier in this game, Big Dan also broke the all-time career scoring record held at the time by Cotton Nash. I DO, remember watching Issel's 51 point game on television, against LSU. Big Dan hit bombs from what would now be the three point line, post ups, and put-backs. But his best offensive move, which I guess today is called a "signature move", was getting the ball at the top of the circle, head-faking, and driving to the basket. Issel was far from being fleet on foot, so sometimes it looked like it was in slow motion! Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar, who went head-to head against Issel many times in the NBA, often times said that "you knew what he was going to do, but he still was able to score on you". BTW, the 51 points that Issel scored against LSU was completely over-shadowed by the 64 that one Pistol Pete Maravich scored in this game. He was amazing!!!! Imagine scoring 51 in a game and not even being CLOSE to the game's top scorer!!!! Issel DID win the war, with Kentucky (I'm going on memory one this one, not bothering to look it up), by a final score of , I think, 121-99.
January 15, 200917 yr Once again, I hate showing my age, but here goes: I'm pretty sure that Issel's 53 point game was not televised anywhere. Amazingly, earlier in this game, Big Dan also broke the all-time career scoring record held at the time by Cotton Nash. I DO, remember watching Issel's 51 point game on television, against LSU. Big Dan hit bombs from what would now be the three point line, post ups, and put-backs. But his best offensive move, which I guess today is called a "signature move", was getting the ball at the top of the circle, head-faking, and driving to the basket. Issel was far from being fleet on foot, so sometimes it looked like it was in slow motion! Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar, who went head-to head against Issel many times in the NBA, often times said that "you knew what he was going to do, but he still was able to score on you". BTW, the 51 points that Issel scored against LSU was completely over-shadowed by the 64 that one Pistol Pete Maravich scored in this game. He was amazing!!!! Imagine scoring 51 in a game and not even being CLOSE to the game's top scorer!!!! Issel DID win the war, with Kentucky (I'm going on memory one this one, not bothering to look it up), by a final score of , I think, 121-99. 121-95, I believe. By the way, Maravich always scored more than the Horse when UK and LSU played (although Issel averaged about 40 in their meetings)...but Kentucky was 6-0 against LSU!
January 15, 200917 yr Issel hit well for a 6'9" guy in his day. About 18 feet in and farther out in the ABA. He was a tough nosed rebounder and got a good number of extra points by mixing it up under the boards and putting the Offensive Rebound back in. Issel could always score but so could Mike Casey his classmate. But when Casey broke his leg before their Senior year Rupp decided that Issel had to be the focus of the whole offense and he responded with something like a 33 point per game average. People forget because it was in the middle of the UCLA run that the '70 KY team was actually the #1 ranked team heading into the NCAA tourney with only one loss. Many felt then that if Casey had not been injured that UK would have very likely won the NCAA that year because it was the first year UCLA was without Alcindor (Jabaar) and 2 years before Walton played. They were ambushed in the Regional final by a Jacksonville squad that had Artis Gilmoe (7'2") at Center and Pembrook Burrows (7') at a forward. Rex Morgan was their guard and they beat UK 106-100 but Issel fouled out with 14:00 to play when a Dolphin guard stepped in front of Issel with his head turned and drew a bogus charge for the 5th and final foul. In the ABA, the Colonels were pretty close to being equal with the best of the NBA of their era. Artis Gilmore, Issel, Darrell Carrier and Louie Dampier could play some basketball. :thumb: Hatz, this is almost word-for-word how my dad tells that story. I appreciate it.:thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.