Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Issel

Featured Replies

1970? I thought you were born in 1950? :jump: :p

 

 

 

It feels like it sometimes. :thumb:

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing NOONE EVER talks about him in the discussion with greatest college players ever or NBA.

Funny thing NOONE EVER talks about him in the discussion with greatest college players ever or NBA.

 

I believe he was on both the all time college and NBA top 50 players list.

I was a freshmen at UK in the 1969-1970 season which was Issel's senior year and attened every home game.Back in those days you had to camp out or spend hours in line to get tickets to the big games like UT & LSU with the Pistol. We always pelted UT with oranges we would sneek in( funny that the cafeteria always had oranges on the UT game day). The home advantage was beyound description, Memorial Hall was always filled an hour or more before tip and the crowd always in an organized frenzy. Many many games were over before tip due to the crowd. Big Dan was a complete player with great low post moves, could pass, defend and rebound and loved to get out on the baseline and drain the long jumper. That UK team was ranked number #1 all year long. I guess I am showing my age. We were on spring break in Daytona during the NCAA loss to Jacksonville and were all devastated especially because the officials screwed UK out of that game.

Edited by Xtiger69

I saw Issel in the 51 point game he had against Pistol Pete and LSU on TV. Pete put up 64 in the same game. Rupp's philosophy was to let Maravich get his 50+ but stop everyone else in a Tiger uniform. They had some other fairly good players, namely two big kids named Sanders and Newton, but Pete's dad, the coach, made him the focus of the offense. I always felt they were more interested in showmanship than winning. Maybe I'm wrong.

But...Pete was sure FUN to watch!! A magician on the floor.

 

Issel was an excellent shooter from 15-18 feet range. Excellent for a man of his size anyway. Rupp like to list all his big men shorter than they actually were. He listed Issel at 6'8 for most of his UK career, but he was more in the range of just shy of 6'10.

 

He was a very good free throw shooter as well. And although there was not a 3 point line in his day, he still had many 3 point plays because he was so good on the offensive boards and drew a lot of fouls after scored baskets.

 

He is my all time favorite UK player.

I believe he was on both the all time college and NBA top 50 players list.

 

No, he was left off of the NBA list. I pointed that out earlier. The 7th all-time scorer (4th when he retired) is left off. :idunno:

No, he was left off of the NBA list. I pointed that out earlier. The 7th all-time scorer (4th when he retired) is left off. :idunno:

 

You are correct. Hard to believe they leave him off.

I saw Issel in the 51 point game he had against Pistol Pete and LSU on TV. Pete put up 64 in the same game. Rupp's philosophy was to let Maravich get his 50+ but stop everyone else in a Tiger uniform. They had some other fairly good players, namely two big kids named Sanders and Newton, but Pete's dad, the coach, made him the focus of the offense. I always felt they were more interested in showmanship than winning. Maybe I'm wrong.

But...Pete was sure FUN to watch!! A magician on the floor.

 

Issel was an excellent shooter from 15-18 feet range. Excellent for a man of his size anyway. Rupp like to list all his big men shorter than they actually were. He listed Issel at 6'8 for most of his UK career, but he was more in the range of just shy of 6'10.

 

He was a very good free throw shooter as well. And although there was not a 3 point line in his day, he still had many 3 point plays because he was so good on the offensive boards and drew a lot of fouls after scored baskets.

He is my all time favorite UK player.

 

Mine, too.

I was a freshmen at UK in the 1969-1970 season which was Issel's senior year and attened every home game.Back in those days you had to camp out or spend hours in line to get tickets to the big games like UT & LSU with the Pistol. We always pelted UT with oranges we would sneek in( funny that the cafeteria always had oranges on the UT game day). The home advantage was beyound description, Memorial Hall was always filled an hour or more before tip and the crowd always in an organized frenzy. Many many games were over before tip due to the crowd. Big Dan was a complete player with great low post moves, could pass, defend and rebound and loved to get out on the baseline and drain the long jumper. That UK team was ranked number #1 all year long. I guess I am showing my age. We were on spring break in Daytona during the NCAA loss to Jacksonville and were all devastated especially because the officials screwed UK out of that game.

 

 

 

 

 

I remember very well watching the Jacksonville game on television those many years ago, and you are correct in your assessment that the officials screwed UK out of the game, and possibly a national championship as well.

 

Issel was called for his 5th foul with 10:16 remaining when Jacksonville's 5'11" point guard, Vaughn Wedeking, sneaked in front of Issel, who was running to the defensive end after a UK score and had his head turned. Had nothing to do at all with anything, as the ball was no where near either player. Wedeking himself admitted after the game that he was trying to lure Issel into committing his fifth foul. At the time, Issel had 28 points and 10 rebounds.

 

 

If losing your 34 point a game All-American were not bad enough, things got a whole lot worse for the Cats. Their second best player, Mike Pratt, soon joined Issel on the bench with 5 fouls. Pratt was a 19 point a game scorer for Kentucky that year. He wound up with 14 points and 13 rebounds in the game. Soon after, Terry Mills, who had an outstanding night, scoring 18 points, also fouled out, followed by Larry Steele, who was Kentucky's best defensive player. Kentucky finished the game with their four best players on the bench, while Jacksonville amazingly enough, fouled no one out.

 

 

I remember as a 12 year old, crying my eyes out after the loss.

I remember very well watching the Jacksonville game on television those many years ago, and you are correct in your assessment that the officials screwed UK out of the game, and possibly a national championship as well.

 

Issel was called for his 5th foul with 10:16 remaining when Jacksonville's 5'11" point guard, Vaughn Wedeking, sneaked in front of Issel, who was running to the defensive end after a UK score and had his head turned. Had nothing to do at all with anything, as the ball was no where near either player. Wedeking himself admitted after the game that he was trying to lure Issel into committing his fifth foul. At the time, Issel had 28 points and 10 rebounds.

 

 

If losing your 34 point a game All-American were not bad enough, things got a whole lot worse for the Cats. Their second best player, Mike Pratt, soon joined Issel on the bench with 5 fouls. Pratt was a 19 point a game scorer for Kentucky that year. He wound up with 14 points and 13 rebounds in the game. Soon after, Terry Mills, who had an outstanding night, scoring 18 points, also fouled out, followed by Larry Steele, who was Kentucky's best defensive player. Kentucky finished the game with their four best players on the bench, while Jacksonville amazingly enough, fouled no one out.

 

 

I remember as a 12 year old, crying my eyes out after the loss.

 

I remember this game all too well. Very sad. I don't usually say this, but UK got royally screwed by refs in this game. Probably cost them a national championship.

Funny thing NOONE EVER talks about him in the discussion with greatest college players ever or NBA.

 

Actually, Nessler and Dykes, for what that's worth, said that he was among the greatest in college and NBA during the UK/UT game the other night.

I saw Issel in the 51 point game he had against Pistol Pete and LSU on TV. Pete put up 64 in the same game. Rupp's philosophy was to let Maravich get his 50+ but stop everyone else in a Tiger uniform. They had some other fairly good players, namely two big kids named Sanders and Newton, but Pete's dad, the coach, made him the focus of the offense. I always felt they were more interested in showmanship than winning. Maybe I'm wrong.

But...Pete was sure FUN to watch!! A magician on the floor.

 

Issel was an excellent shooter from 15-18 feet range. Excellent for a man of his size anyway. Rupp like to list all his big men shorter than they actually were. He listed Issel at 6'8 for most of his UK career, but he was more in the range of just shy of 6'10.

 

He was a very good free throw shooter as well. And although there was not a 3 point line in his day, he still had many 3 point plays because he was so good on the offensive boards and drew a lot of fouls after scored baskets.

 

He is my all time favorite UK player.[/quote]

 

Wait till I tell someone you said this....:lol:

 

Don't recall seeing the 53 points score by Issel, not many games on TV back in those days,but listen to games on the Radio was the thing back then.[/quote]

 

I can remember listening to the game in my dorm at MUS, but my husband was at the game...he saw Issel make his points and Meeks break his record...yes I am showing our age...:D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.