Stephen Curry: What is his ceiling?

NEXT

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't about creating for JJ...it was getting to the ball...

What do you mean by "getting to the ball?" Running off screens on set plays?

Sure, he was good at that, especially when the offense was set up that way. It is much more difficult to create your own shot and distribute the ball, ala Steph Curry.

Curry shoots around 22-24 shots a game, he makes around 8-11 of those if I was guessing. He can score for sure, but Jodie Meeks, not comparing him to Curry, but he scores 24 a game to Curry's 29, in 15-17 shots. Also Curry puts up over 4 turnovers a game. I like Curry as a college player, but not as a pro..

Your joking right? C'mon Curry has his off night every now and then. But, comparing Jodie Meeks to him is laughable. Jodie Meeks is the kind of the forced shot! I wish he was better than Curry for UK's sake, but he's not in his league. Meeks is a good player, but lets be realistic. He doesn't face anywhere near the defensive focus that Curry does. Curry still gets teammates involved in the game. And honestly, Davidson's schedule has been better or atleast the equivilant of UK's schedule. Sure Meeks is a nice player, but no one brags about holding him to 10 points. If a team held Curry to 10 points it would be one of the first highlights on Sportcenter in the morning. Also, for the 4 TO argument, Meeks has to have about the same number (especially if they counted bad shots), and Curry is a point guard. You're going to have turnovers.

Oh you might as well have compared Mike Hartline to Tim Tebow.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Curry gets 21 shots per game and shoots 45%

Meeks gets 16 shots per game and shoots 47%

Curry's assist-to-turnover ratio is 6.9 (6th in the nation) to 4.1

Meeks' assist-to-turnover ratio is 1.7 to 3.1

If you've seen Curry play at all, you know that as much as he's asked to do for that team and as little help he gets (from his teammates and coach), his stats are far more impressive than Meeks'. Meeks gets more open looks in a game than Curry gets in a month and his 4.1 turnovers is about average for other top assist men in the nation.

I'm not comparing the two, not at all. I am just saying Meeks, and other guys like Meeks, are getting productive numbers, without firing their arms off..

Your joking right? C'mon Curry has his off night every now and then. But, comparing Jodie Meeks to him is laughable. Jodie Meeks is the kind of the forced shot! I wish he was better than Curry for UK's sake, but he's not in his league. Meeks is a good player, but lets be realistic. He doesn't face anywhere near the defensive focus that Curry does. Curry still gets teammates involved in the game. And honestly, Davidson's schedule has been better or atleast the equivilant of UK's schedule. Sure Meeks is a nice player, but no one brags about holding him to 10 points. If a team held Curry to 10 points it would be one of the first highlights on Sportcenter in the morning. Also, for the 4 TO argument, Meeks has to have about the same number (especially if they counted bad shots), and Curry is a point guard. You're going to have turnovers.

Oh you might as well have compared Mike Hartline to Tim Tebow.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not comparing the two at all. I'm saying Curry is good, never said he wasn't, but the kid shoots his arm off. He has shot 29,33,27,26, and 25 shots in a game.

Please, if anyone thinks I'm saying Meeks is better than Curry, I am not. Not in any way. I am just comparing the two, and their numbers, and what Meeks does by shooting around 6-7 less shots a game. Their are other players around this country who do what Curry does, by shooting less shots a game. I have heard Dicky V talk about how impressive Curry is, but also how other players (like Hansbrough, Harangody) do a lot similar things, with less shots. How can you say that's not more impressive? I like Curry, he can stroke, but the kid has never saw a shot he doesn't like. Sure he had some good games in the NCAA tournament last year, I will give him that. He has had some great games in his career, but go back and look at his numbers, his shots. Sure you see on Sportscenter the 40 points, but do you pay attention to these (10-30, 11-33, 9-27). I do..

Nice comparison of Hartline and Tebow ;)

Not comparing the two at all. I'm saying Curry is good, never said he wasn't, but the kid shoots his arm off. He has shot 29,33,27,26, and 25 shots in a game.

Please, if anyone thinks I'm saying Meeks is better than Curry, I am not. Not in any way. I am just comparing the two, and their numbers, and what Meeks does by shooting around 6-7 less shots a game. Their are other players around this country who do what Curry does, by shooting less shots a game. I have heard Dicky V talk about how impressive Curry is, but also how other players (like Hansbrough, Harangody) do a lot similar things, with less shots. How can you say that's not more impressive? I like Curry, he can stroke, but the kid has never saw a shot he doesn't like. Sure he had some good games in the NCAA tournament last year, I will give him that. He has had some great games in his career, but go back and look at his numbers, his shots. Sure you see on Sportscenter the 40 points, but do you pay attention to these (10-30, 11-33, 9-27). I do..

I agree with you that other players are scoring almost just as much with less shots, but Curry has to take those shots and that many to make his team have a chance in a lot of games this year. IMO

I'm not comparing the two, not at all. I am just saying Meeks, and other guys like Meeks, are getting productive numbers, without firing their arms off..

He fires his arm off because he has to. He forces shots because his coach rarely runs a set to get him open. If he sees daylight, it's going up because he's BY FAR the best player on his team. I don't see what the problem is with him shooting 5 times a game more than someone like Meeks. It's like complaining that Pistol Pete shot too much.

I agree with you that other players are scoring almost just as much with less shots, but Curry has to take those shots and that many to make his team have a chance in a lot of games this year. IMO

It's far more impressive seeing a guy put up 25 points a game with under 15 shots a game, to a guy getting 30 with 22-24 shots a game. Curry is a player, I never said he wasn't, but that's just my take on it. I like watching a guy like I said, over a guy like Curry.

Also look at what Davidson done without Curry scoring a point against Loyola(MD). I know Loyola isn't Oklahoma, or UNC, but they nearly beat NC. State, and they beat a 11-6 James Madison team. Obviously when Davidson plays the Dukes, the UNC's they need Curry scoring, but he doesn't have to put up 32 shots in order for his team to win IMO..

He fires his arm off because he has to. He forces shots because his coach rarely runs a set to get him open. If he sees daylight, it's going up because he's BY FAR the best player on his team. I don't see what the problem is with him shooting 5 times a game more than someone like Meeks. It's like complaining that Pistol Pete shot too much.

He is by far the best player on his team, but it's not like Davidson sucks. Lovedale and Archambault are both solid players. Curry is BY FAR the best player on that team, but he isn't the only player.

Also if Curry was anything near the Pistol, I wouldn't complain a bit..

It's far more impressive seeing a guy put up 25 points a game with under 15 shots a game, to a guy getting 30 with 22-24 shots a game. Curry is a player, I never said he wasn't, but that's just my take on it. I like watching a guy like I said, over a guy like Curry.

Also look at what Davidson done without Curry scoring a point against Loyola(MD). I know Loyola isn't Oklahoma, or UNC, but they nearly beat NC. State, and they beat a 11-6 James Madison team. Obviously when Davidson plays the Dukes, the UNC's they need Curry scoring, but he doesn't have to put up 32 shots in order for his team to win IMO..

He is by far the best player on his team, but it's not like Davidson sucks. Lovedale and Archambault are both solid players. Curry is BY FAR the best player on that team, but he isn't the only player.

Also if Curry was anything near the Pistol, I wouldn't complain a bit..

To the first bold point, those two players are the same player. Meeks would be shooting 21 times a game and maybe averaging more on Davidson, and Curry would be shooting 15 times a game and averaging less on Kentucky. It's just the situation that they're in. If Curry only shot 15 times a game, Davidson would be nearly as good as they are.

To the second bold point, that's completely ridiculous. That game was a joke. Yes, Davidson can win without Curry scoring when they play 4 on 3. Other than that, no, they can't.

To the first bold point, those two players are the same player. Meeks would be shooting 21 times a game and maybe averaging more on Davidson, and Curry would be shooting 15 times a game and averaging less on Kentucky. It's just the situation that they're in. If Curry only shot 15 times a game, Davidson would be nearly as good as they are.

To the second bold point, that's completely ridiculous. That game was a joke. Yes, Davidson can win without Curry scoring when they play 4 on 3. Other than that, no, they can't.

:thumb: These players are in completely different situations and I dont want to have a migrain superimposing them into hypothetical situations. The second part is just a credit to Curry that they would even employ that particular defense at that level!

Shooting the %'s he does I wouldn't care if he took 50 shots a game.

Your numbers dont show it because I guess you picked some of his worst games but he shoots 48% overall and 44% from three on the season. That is good shooting. He is a powerhouse and will play in the NBA regardless of the critics.IMO